Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor people are often the victims. They have less choices, less power, and less leverage to get what they want. For example: Macy's is laying off 2,500 workers and closing a few store down. I can tell you who won't be laid off.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/08/news/companies/macys-job-cuts/

And this is one of the few reasons they deserve any assistance from the government/charity. If they still can't help themselves, I don't feel anything more should be done to better their lives.

Edited by CenSin

Poor people are often the victims. They have less choices, less power, and less leverage to get what they want. For example: Macy's is laying off 2,500 workers and closing a few store down. I can tell you who won't be laid off.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/08/news/companies/macys-job-cuts/

And this is one of the few reasons they deserve any assistance from the government/charity. If they still can't help themselves, I don't feel anything more should be done to better their lives.

Damn it. So much for seasonal jobs taking you somewhere.

According to this:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/marshawn-lynch-beast-burger-seahawks-playoffs/

The "limited edition" burger is $15. So if that price is ridiculous then I've been eating some millionaire type of burgers lately.

Only $15. I was expecting something like 20. Perhaps I'm used to the ripoff prices they charge at the grounds here. 

for a cup of beer(375ml) it's $6. And depending on the time of day during the footy it is ether mid strength or light. A 600 ml soda $4.60. Most things such as pies and chips are floating around the 5-6 dollar mark. And it's not like its a big  bucket of chips or anything.

Edited by Pakenhamtrain

Here's yet another case of police brutality: A 18 year old kid from North Carolina was shot dead in a fury of murderous force by cops. A sufferer of schizophrenia, he went into a psychotic episode in his parents home. The tasered him first and then shot him after he lunged at the cop! 

I think this is ridiculous because can't the officers subdue him in another way? Tasers would have been sufficient to subdue a teen, not a .45 semi automatic!

Edited by realizm

I'm sayin... While I respect the profession, half these cops are scared as hell...

I'm inclined to agree with what you are saying. Law enforcement agencies should not be recruiting those who cannot handle the stress of the job, they really need to get their shit together.

In this case the police officers involved could have put the teen under control by non-lethal means, then call the paramedics or EMT to stabilize the child on antipsychotics or benzodiazepines. They are equipped with bulletproof vests and were armed not just with firearms but tasers and also mace, I'm sure. The way they handled this situation, really they should be charged with murder. Lock the POs up and throw away the key, I have no sympathy. A good police officer does not handle mentally ill patients like that.

This is a grievous injustice to society. Law enforcement agencies are to serve the public, not function as a paramilitary wing.

Edited by realizm

Here's yet another case of police brutality: A 18 year old kid from North Carolina was shot dead in a fury of murderous force by cops. A sufferer of schizophrenia, he went into a psychotic episode in his parents home. The tasered him first and then shot him after he lunged at the cop! 

I think this is ridiculous because can't the officers subdue him in another way? Tasers would have been sufficient to subdue a teen, not a .45 semi automatic!

This is what happens when the force is unskilled in these issues. While some may be forgiving of this I'm not. There is no excuse and if they lacked the knowledge in how to handle such a situation they should have called in someone who could. I find that any EMT would have handled the situation with more care, also taking into consideration they do a lot in such cases already. They'll get my respect any day, especially over a PD.

I'm sayin... While I respect the profession, half these cops are scared as hell...

But it should be noted this is sometimes falsely perpetuated. Most fear stems from what if's, which leads one into paranoia. It takes a strong and stable individual to not lets such get to him/her, and it seems most can not.

I'm inclined to agree with what you are saying. Law enforcement agencies should not be recruiting those who cannot handle the stress of the job, they really need to get their shit together.

In this case the police officers involved could have put the teen under control by non-lethal means, then call the paramedics or EMT to stabilize the child on antipsychotics or benzodiazepines. They are equipped with bulletproof vests and were armed not just with firearms but tasers and also mace, I'm sure. The way they handled this situation, really they should be charged with murder. Lock the POs up and throw away the key, I have no sympathy. A good police officer does not handle mentally ill patients like that.

This is a grievous injustice to society. Law enforcement agencies are to serve the public, not function as a paramilitary wing.

Absolutely. Agreed 100%.

Inverted commuted trains as in...?

It's probably what you think it is. You have one wall running down the center of the train lengthwise and the seats are facing outwards. You could practically dangle your feet off the train exposing yourself to the hazards of traffic.

An inverted person by analogy has all the organs on the outside.

It's probably what you think it is. You have one wall running down the center of the train lengthwise and the seats are facing outwards. You could practically dangle your feet off the train exposing yourself to the hazards of traffic.

An inverted person by analogy has all the organs on the outside.

Hmm... I don't see the point... The layout on commuter trains currently make sense.  I just don't like the seats facing each other because there is not enough leg room.

Yess. Exactly! I was playing Call of Duty Ghosts, and the last part of the campaign is you walking from the back to the front of an inverted cargo train moving through the mountains and through caves. It was crazy.

This is a screenshot of what the train looks like when your trying to get to the front shooting enemies in your way. 

maxresdefault.jpg

How cool is that? Would that be good for commuter lines?

Imagine this going from Upstate to Penn Station. It can work underground as well, just needs more room.

Schwebebahn_ueber_Strasse.jpg

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888