Report: MTA elevated-line workers slack on the job, costs city $10 million

Harry

Again, that is work being done by contractors. Aside from CPM, the only TA workers that are usually at those job site are RTO flagging personnel.

Funny you should say how the TA does not want work crews on the track, several line managers have said that they do not want anyone flagging along their line. One story that I was told, track dept. wanted to inspect a section of track on a particular line. The line manager said no, no one sets up flagging on my line. Track said were not sending guys down without flagging so the line manager said too bad. The response form track was to say that the tracks were unsafe which then forced the manager to allow workers out that night.

That's the game that's played with Command. They tell us we can't set up flags or call on point to point for various reasons, and we tell them no problem. Tell them you need their Name and Pass# so when the train de-rails they'll know who made the decision not to let us on the track. As for point to point we remind them that we are federally mandated to inspect the track a minimum of four days a week. It's the law.

That's the game that's played with Command. They tell us we can't set up flags or call on point to point for various reasons, and we tell them no problem. Tell them you need their Name and Pass# so when the train de-rails they'll know who made the decision not to let us on the track. As for point to point we remind them that we are federally mandated to inspect the track a minimum of four days a week. It's the law.

It's scary to know that they really do put on time performance over safety. As some one who is waiting for the next track exam, I would rather take my time and do my job safely rather then rush and try to get alot done and end up dead.

It's scary to know that they really do put on time performance over safety. As some one who is waiting for the next track exam, I would rather take my time and do my job safely rather then rush and try to get alot done and end up dead.

Well said. Good luck with the next track test.

just out of curiousity, is there a way to tell the difference between an MTA track worker and a contractor just by looking at them?

Yes, they have different types of vests. Usually the contractors will have a big patch that says "CONTRACTOR" on it. TA workers will have regular TA vests.

I am not surprised...this is why most projects are often delayed: the workers are often dilly-dallying doing nonsense instead of doing what they are supposed to be doing: improving transit.

I hope your read all the comments before making assumptions. I hope you read the facts about the hours workers are allowed to work on the tracks. When you are done, do your math and let us know how MTA giving them a frame of 5hrs, is them wasting 3. I would like to hear your suggestion for the other three hours, that they are not allowed to be on the tracks by MTA own rules, cause the MTA wants minimal delays. Hard to fix track, when a train is going by every 8 minutes, and needs time to clear the area, before workers can go back on the tracks.........

Not for nothing, the MTA IG is a total ass for saying what he said, and should apologize, for not telling the truth of the hours of when workers are allowed on the tracks and why, and that is the reason why they can't work 8hrs on the tracks, on El's. If they want them to work 8hrs, let work get done from 9am to 5pm, with massive delays. Then don't complain about delays on trains during these hours, and why can't they do that work later.........

I hope your read all the comments before making assumptions. I hope you read the facts about the hours workers are allowed to work on the tracks. When you are done, do your math and let us know how MTA giving them a frame of 5hrs, is them wasting 3. I would like to hear your suggestion for the other three hours, that they are not allowed to be on the tracks by MTA own rules, cause the MTA wants minimal delays. Hard to fix track, when a train is going by every 8 minutes, and needs time to clear the area, before workers can go back on the tracks.........

Not for nothing, the MTA IG is a total ass for saying what he said, and should apologize, for not telling the truth of the hours of when workers are allowed on the tracks and why, and that is the reason why they can't work 8hrs on the tracks, on El's. If they want them to work 8hrs, let work get done from 9am to 5pm, with massive delays. Then don't complain about delays on trains during these hours, and why can't they do that work later.........

Well said there!

In regards to contractors on the Brighton Line. Since they are working behind barriers that keep them off of the active roadbed and they can get to the site without crossing the right of way, are they still bound by the work times? I know on the Smith and 9th Viaduct, they have fences along the whole structure and stair ways thru the road bed right into the work area.

Well said there!

In regards to contractors on the Brighton Line. Since they are working behind barriers that keep them off of the active roadbed and they can get to the site without crossing the right of way, are they still bound by the work times? I know on the Smith and 9th Viaduct, they have fences along the whole structure and stair ways thru the road bed right into the work area.

Wasn't the Avenue U and Neck Road stations (southbound) scheduled for completion in early fall?

as a flagger i know the dangers track and signal go through. its not easy setting up a track to protect yourself and the crew. then the line managers come and tell you to get off the tracks or rcc kicks you off when the road blows up. in the irt the rcc wont give us the tracks till midnight and we have to be off by 4.

I have a feeling that the second Ave subway would be delayed till 2030 because of these lazy workers :mad::mad::cry::cry::mad::cry::tdown:

Then you don't know what you are talking about and did not read the article or responses.

I have a feeling that the second Ave subway would be delayed till 2030 because of these lazy workers :mad::mad::cry::cry::mad::cry::tdown:

Then, if you saw the above, you would realize it would be delayed because of contractors, who are not MTA employees.

the second ave subway has been delayed since the 70's. the contractors are milking that project dry because they have kids to put through college.:P

Archived