What's Transit's uniform policy?

QueensCzar248

i wore it the first time i had platform duty. the fur hat. and i was told i looked like a "snow princess" by some wacko on the platform. NEVER AGAIN. i'm NOT going to be MTA's little snow princess. NO HAT FOR ME. :tdown:

Please I made the mistake of going grocery shopping in uniform.

I was asked about the cuts and hit on by a ghetto thug chick I think she was dyslexic and read ATM not MTA !

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info everybody! It's too bad the TA can't afford, or want to purchase warmer uniforms for you. I'm sure a nice fleece like the fire department would suit you well in the winter :tup:. Or even higher quality winter coats like police.

Well, they did get newer uniform stuff they just didn't issue it to everyone. S/A's, TSS's and surface dispatchers I've seen with the newer coats. And the newere pants they gave S/A's are warmer but tighter. And they can afford better uniforms, it's just the company they use ,VF Solutions make crappy products at an expensive price.

Well, they did get newer uniform stuff they just didn't issue it to everyone. S/A's, TSS's and surface dispatchers I've seen with the newer coats. And the newere pants they gave S/A's are warmer but tighter. And they can afford better uniforms, it's just the company they use ,VF Solutions make crappy products at an expensive price.

I think VF Solutions also supplies the National Park Service, Customs, and some other federal departments. I would bet that the (MTA) just picked the cheapest garbage the company had. The uniforms are not designed for the type of work an RTO employee does on a daily basis. You are issued a winter coat that's as thin as a slice of meat from Blimpies. Shiny, but useless. The work jacket looks snazzy on some but don't let it rain 'cause then it too is useless. The sweaters and shirts are fine but Dickies, or Dockers, type pants are necessary if you're a train operator. The one's we were issued wear out quickly on the cab seats we have. We were issued uniforms so that we would look more "professional" we were told, but that was bull.... from the get-go. It's only so that we can be identified. Why, for instance, does a platform C/R wear a safety vest? He/she is already wearing a uniform. I started out as a m/m wearing blue sweatshirts, or my c/r's shirt, and Wranglers. Everyone knew who I was, even the drunks and EDPs, and I never had a problem showing my authority in an emergency or train problem. People moved out of my way and let me take care of business and get the train moving. Then came the pinstriped, light blue uniforms, with regular pants AND bib coveralls. You had a choice which pants to wear. Unfortunately steel dust and diesel emissions made this uniform shortlived because no dry cleaner or commercial laundromat wanted their equipment soiled by this uniform. There was supposedly a joint TA-Local 100 committee to design our new uniforms, at least in RTO, but this group seems to have evaporated as fast as the (MTA)s budget $$$. So to be on the safe side wear only what you were issued and when you go out on sick leave with a cold, arthritis, pnuemonia, whatever, have your doctor sign your sick leave paper and be sure to check the box that asks if this illness was service connected. A majority of doctors at my HIP center say that they'll back up any one of us on that point after I showed them my brand new coat, with the exposed neck. When I told them that the VF Solution quotes a price of $118.00 for the coat my doctor's quote was, " no wonder they're broke". LOL

I think VF Solutions also supplies the National Park Service, Customs, and some other federal departments. I would bet that the (MTA) just picked the cheapest garbage the company had. The uniforms are not designed for the type of work an RTO employee does on a daily basis. You are issued a winter coat that's as thin as a slice of meat from Blimpies. Shiny, but useless. The work jacket looks snazzy on some but don't let it rain 'cause then it too is useless. The sweaters and shirts are fine but Dickies, or Dockers, type pants are necessary if you're a train operator. The one's we were issued wear out quickly on the cab seats we have. We were issued uniforms so that we would look more "professional" we were told, but that was bull.... from the get-go. It's only so that we can be identified. Why, for instance, does a platform C/R wear a safety vest? He/she is already wearing a uniform. I started out as a m/m wearing blue sweatshirts, or my c/r's shirt, and Wranglers. Everyone knew who I was, even the drunks and EDPs, and I never had a problem showing my authority in an emergency or train problem. People moved out of my way and let me take care of business and get the train moving. Then came the pinstriped, light blue uniforms, with regular pants AND bib coveralls. You had a choice which pants to wear. Unfortunately steel dust and diesel emissions made this uniform shortlived because no dry cleaner or commercial laundromat wanted their equipment soiled by this uniform. There was supposedly a joint TA-Local 100 committee to design our new uniforms, at least in RTO, but this group seems to have evaporated as fast as the (MTA)s budget $$$. So to be on the safe side wear only what you were issued and when you go out on sick leave with a cold, arthritis, pnuemonia, whatever, have your doctor sign your sick leave paper and be sure to check the box that asks if this illness was service connected. A majority of doctors at my HIP center say that they'll back up any one of us on that point after I showed them my brand new coat, with the exposed neck. When I told them that the VF Solution quotes a price of $118.00 for the coat my doctor's quote was, " no wonder they're broke". LOL

Yeah probably, the coat is not made by VF solutions but sold by them. I guess this why it's of much higher quality that the original blue shiny one. If you guys in RTO ever get it believe me you'll love it. They are soooooo much warmer than the blue ones. I can be outside all day doing a G.O. Job and not get cold for the entire 8 hours. And they also cover your neck extremely well.

Didn't they try in the last contract to make you guys (RTO Flagging) have your uniforms with you in the event that you were reassigned?

That's always been the case. If you're reassigned to the road or platform, you'll need your uniform.

That's always been the case. If you're reassigned to the road or platform, you'll need your uniform.

Ah ok, what ever it was that I had read, the wording made it sound as if they wanted them to have their uniforms on hand while flagging. I may have miss read it though.

Didn't they try in the last contract to make you guys (RTO Flagging) have your uniforms with you in the event that you were reassigned?

If you are not in the first 100 on the flaggers list then you MUST have your uniform with you at all times.

If you are not in the first 100 on the flaggers list then you MUST have your uniform with you at all times.

Damn, that kinda sucks. So they have to carry about 5 or 6 lanterns, a portable trip, all the other PPE, and their uniform? Damn, I guess thats why I see alot of RTO flaggers with those 5 gallon buckets.

Damn, that kinda sucks. So they have to carry about 5 or 6 lanterns, a portable trip, all the other PPE, and their uniform? Damn, I guess thats why I see alot of RTO flaggers with those 5 gallon buckets.

You don't have to have your uniform on your person it must be in your locker or in your car where you can quickly get to it when they send you to the road. Only the first 100 on the list don't even have to have a uniform in there lockers.

you dont have to have your mask or uniform while working. it stays in a locker at the office.

You don't have to have your uniform on your person it must be in your locker or in your car where you can quickly get to it when they send you to the road. Only the first 100 on the list don't even have to have a uniform in there lockers.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification on that guys.

Speaking of uniforms, do you guys have a place to change or do you change at home and go to your reporting location?

If you're talking about flagger's they show up in regular cloths so they don't have to change. But if they want to they have locker rooms to change in.

Speaking of uniforms, do you guys have a place to change or do you change at home and go to your reporting location?

Yeah there are locker rooms to change into your uniform. But most transit personnel just show up dressed in uniform already. Me as a S/A I have to show up to work 15 minutes before my scheduled tour in order to give a proper relief. So showing up in uniform is imperative. Some people try to remain incognito and don't come in uniform or wear a regular coat over their uniform so no one knows that they are TA employees, and ask them a hundred direction questions.

Some people try to remain incognito and don't come in uniform or wear a regular coat over their uniform so no one knows that they are TA employees, and ask them a hundred direction questions.

I don't blame them! I'm assuming that's why most workers take off their vests and hats as soon as their off the clock

Well, I have to agree the TA uniforms are made of the cheapest material on earth. After a few wears, it decays. An example would be a station cleaner's long sleeved shirt. I have one at home, and its literally see-thru (well, not really when worn.) As for the jacket, maybe it is better... but still won't keep you warm during the winter (well, at least the one I have.)

Well, I have to agree the TA uniforms are made of the cheapest material on earth. After a few wears, it decays. An example would be a station cleaner's long sleeved shirt. I have one at home, and its literally see-thru (well, not really when worn.) As for the jacket, maybe it is better... but still won't keep you warm during the winter (well, at least the one I have.)

Oh it will keep you warm indeed. It's most likely the best uniform item they have made so far.

Archived