30/62

TransitMan23

anyone hired after jan 1 2010 will fall under 30/62....sorry guys:tdown::cry:

I don't think so, maybe in the next contract 3 yrs from now.

Source:Chief-Leader

Governor Paterson Dec. 10 signed into law the Tier 5 pension bill that will offer lesser benefits to future workers, in most cases by requiring them to work longer to qualify for a full retirement allowance and increasing the percentage of salary they must contribute to help fund it.

The measure, which he signed at the North Hempstead Town Hall in Manhasset, L.I., applies to future city Teachers as well as virtually all public employees under the jurisdiction of the state and its other municipalities. The other city unions, as well as those whose members work for New York City Transit, are not affected.

anyone hired after jan 1 2010 will fall under 30/62....sorry guys:tdown::cry:

Just to avoid confusion, this applies to anyone who does NOT already have credited service with a municipality or government agency within New York City and State. This only applies to those hired for the very first time after Tier 5 becomes the effective retirement plan for first-time hires.

I don't think so, maybe in the next contract 3 yrs from now.

Source:Chief-Leader

Governor Paterson Dec. 10 signed into law the Tier 5 pension bill that will offer lesser benefits to future workers, in most cases by requiring them to work longer to qualify for a full retirement allowance and increasing the percentage of salary they must contribute to help fund it.

The measure, which he signed at the North Hempstead Town Hall in Manhasset, L.I., applies to future city Teachers as well as virtually all public employees under the jurisdiction of the state and its other municipalities. The other city unions, as well as those whose members work for New York City Transit, are not affected.

i hear tht it goin to happen jan 1 2010 4 new hires i guess we will wait and see .

i hear tht it goin to happen jan 1 2010 4 new hires i guess we will wait and see .

NO!!!! it would have to get approved by the union on our next contract or another one. But as far as 2010 goes for TA employees tier 5 is nothing to worry about. Just as the above poster stated the article out of the chief MTA employees are not affected by this new tier as of yet.

I am going to spell this out real simple for those of you that don't seem to understand:

The new Tier 5 pension plan DOES NOT affect members of NYCT. This was a deal made between the state's union while the TA works under NYCERS the cities retirement plan so that our money can supplement the massive extra benefits that the unoformed agency's receive.

i would vote for tier 5 for new hires if they knock off the 1.5% all together. its because of roger not wanting to sell out the unborn that the rest of us suffer. sell the unborn out i say its been happening for years. people still are going to want the job even with 30/62. SSSA did it and also got a good bonus

in their last contract.

i would vote for tier 5 for new hires if they knock off the 1.5% all together. its because of roger not wanting to sell out the unborn that the rest of us suffer. sell the unborn out i say its been happening for years. people still are going to want the job even with 30/62. SSSA did it and also got a good bonus

in their last contract.

Well that's easy for you to say cause your already on the job, and your entitled to your opinion. But you would not feel that way if you didn't and wanted the job. I was one of those unborns they were talking about in the 2005 strike. I already have to work 29 years before I can retire. I would be very upset if I had to pay more into my pension and had to work 36 years before I could retire.

Now I'am no roger supporter by far but I did agree with him on that aspect. Yes people will still want the job true, but your children may also want the job and would you want them to suffer because you sold them out. TA employees die an average of less than 10 years after retirement, after breathing in steel dust for 25 plus years. We as local 100 members must have more unity and must think about our future members as well as our current members, because we all were once unborns. And we all enjoy the benefits that our past members gained for us.

Well that's easy for you to say cause your already on the job, and your entitled to your opinion. But you would not feel that way if you didn't and wanted the job. I was one of those unborns they were talking about in the 2005 strike. I already have to work 29 years before I can retire. I would be very upset if I had to pay more into my pension and had to work 36 years before I could retire.

Now I'am no roger supporter by far but I did agree with him on that aspect. Yes people will still want the job true, but your children may also want the job and would you want them to suffer because you sold them out. TA employees die an average of less than 10 years after retirement, after breathing in steel dust for 25 plus years. We as local 100 members must have more unity and must think about our future members as well as our current members, because we all were once unborns. And we all enjoy the benefits that our past members gained for us.

Tell it to the cops of all people, they sold their unborn down the river in a nano second...

It is what it is...

The simple fact is that you know what the situation is when you take the job!! If you don't want a job with a 30/62 pension then you don't take it. We are the only union that hasn't reaped ANY rewards on the backs of people that DON'T pay dues or are part of the union yet.

These days this is the only way to get significant gains for the PAYING membership. New people would have a minimum of 30 years to fight for a better plan for there tier members.

so you would give up the opportunity to retire early or get 1.5 knocked off just so someone you dont know and probably does not give a F about you just so they can retire in 25 years? in this game its about what EMPLOYEES can get to better themselves not what we can do for the unborn. i also would not want my child working here. i started at 23 so even with 25/55 i have to do 32years. you think if they said hey you can get 20/50 but new people cant- my answer is hell yea let them fight their own battle.

well the union's traditional position on this issue has been that all members should have the same benefits, not tiered where older employees have better benefits than younger ones. i just hope the new union president holds this position despite the opinions being shown on this forum

so you would give up the opportunity to retire early or get 1.5 knocked off just so someone you dont know and probably does not give a F about you just so they can retire in 25 years? in this game its about what EMPLOYEES can get to better themselves not what we can do for the unborn. i also would not want my child working here. i started at 23 so even with 25/55 i have to do 32years. you think if they said hey you can get 20/50 but new people cant- my answer is hell yea let them fight their own battle.

Like I said before I was one of those unborns from the 05 strike. I got hired in jan of 06. We are benefiting from fights our past members won for us. Yes I would love to retire earlier and pay less for health insurance, but I'am not willing send future members up the river with out a paddle. Like I said before your entitled to your own opinion, if that's how you feel about the topic than cool. I'am pretty content with the benefits I receive now, because I came from a job which didn't even offer 10 percent of the benefits I get with TA. And also to get the 1.5 knocked out and 20/50 what do you think we would have to give up? Um sure it would cost more than just accepting tier 5 for new employees.

IIRC, 25/55 does not mean you have to do 25 and be 55. It means you have to do 25, and collect at 55. I started at 26, so I could do 29 years if I want, or I could do 25, freeze the pension, and collect full pension when I turn 55, 4 years later..........

Like I said before I was one of those unborns from the 05 strike. I got hired in jan of 06. We are benefiting from fights our past members won for us. Yes I would love to retire earlier and pay less for health insurance, but I'am not willing send future members up the river with out a paddle. Like I said before your entitled to your own opinion, if that's how you feel about the topic than cool. I'am pretty content with the benefits I receive now, because I came from a job which didn't even offer 10 percent of the benefits I get with TA. And also to get the 1.5 knocked out and 20/50 what do you think we would have to give up? Um sure it would cost more than just accepting tier 5 for new employees.

it would not cost us much. SSSA our supervisor's union gave up the unborn for raise's a bonus and no 1.5. the unborn now have to wait 10 years before getting the new healthcare plus they pay 1.5 for life and have 2 years probation to do. its how the process works. tier 1 gave us up, they took the money and ran with their 20/50. my pop's started in the 80's under 30/62 and they fought for 25/55 and got it. i think every generation has to fight for that they need.

I believe in doing the best you can for the members you(the union) currently represent. When I was hired in 1993 I spent 4 weeks in track school making $4 an hour. I had to borrow money to pay the rent and buy food for a month. Obviously, someone sold out the new hires because all I made was minimum wage while I was in school. That's the way it was. That was changed years ago so now new hires receive normal first year scale while in school. Also when I started the pension plan was tier4 30/62. That's a long way from the tier1 20yr non contributory pension plan they had in the 1960's and early 1970's. There was a lot of selling out between then and 1993 when I was hired. Now a days every major union has "sold out" the new guy. Cops, Fire , Sanitation , Teachers , all have given back. Most, if not all are at least 5yrs to top pay. Smaller starting salaries for new hires, less vacation days/sick days first couple years etc... Because the Uniformed forces "sold out" the new guy, their top pay scale is $15,000 to $25,000 more than ours(NYCT). They've always made more than us, but not that much. It's great to look out for the unborn, but most importantly you(the union) represent 40,000 current employees, and in my opinion their interests come first. I think we can balance small givebacks with future modest gains. We've been falling behind for years. It's time to catch up with everyone else.

I believe in doing the best you can for the members you(the union) currently represent. When I was hired in 1993 I spent 4 weeks in track school making $4 an hour. I had to borrow money to pay the rent and buy food for a month. Obviously, someone sold out the new hires because all I made was minimum wage while I was in school. That's the way it was. That was changed years ago so now new hires receive normal first year scale while in school. Also when I started the pension plan was tier4 30/62. That's a long way from the tier1 20yr non contributory pension plan they had in the 1960's and early 1970's. There was a lot of selling out between then and 1993 when I was hired. Now a days every major union has "sold out" the new guy. Cops, Fire , Sanitation , Teachers , all have given back. Most, if not all are at least 5yrs to top pay. Smaller starting salaries for new hires, less vacation days/sick days first couple years etc... Because the Uniformed forces "sold out" the new guy, their top pay scale is $15,000 to $25,000 more than ours(NYCT). They've always made more than us, but not that much. It's great to look out for the unborn, but most importantly you(the union) represent 40,000 current employees, and in my opinion their interests come first. I think we can balance small givebacks with future modest gains. We've been falling behind for years. It's time to catch up with everyone else.

All true and all valid points. But I still don't agree with it. So I guess we can agree to disagree. Even if we sold out, we would still not be caught up with the other uniformed departments in terms of pay. Because the (MTA), the city and the riders of the system don't believe we provide a vital service to the city and they also don't think we deserve to get paid what we do now let alone more money. So we all need to think about that before we talk about selling out future members of local 100. I see we all have conflicting views on this subject. I like you would love to be paid more money, but we have to think of how much other things we would have to give up to get it? .

So we all need to think about that before we talk about selling out future members of local 100.

I've already paid enough for the unborn. It's called a 60 hour Taylor Law fine (when I normally get paid less than that) and a worse contract than what we turned down before the strike. I have absolutely no interest in paying any more for the unborn. Fortunately it worked out for you, but that's all I'm willing to sacrifice. If they get 30/62, then so be it. I'm not going to accept worse benefits so that new employees can be on the same level as us.

Wouldn't it be "Je ne vais nulle part"? :P *waits for zman to reply about the bad french*

Your french is perfect...this time.:cool:

I've already paid enough for the unborn. It's called a 60 hour Taylor Law fine (when I normally get paid less than that) and a worse contract than what we turned down before the strike. I have absolutely no interest in paying any more for the unborn. Fortunately it worked out for you, but that's all I'm willing to sacrifice. If they get 30/62, then so be it. I'm not going to accept worse benefits so that new employees can be on the same level as us.

Your french is perfect...this time.:cool:

Hey I hear you man. But like I said before there won't be a day when we get paid on the level of corrections, NYPD or Sanitation. Because we get little respect from our employer and the city and public. So no matter what we give up there will always be a gap in pay between us. We may not like it but that's the way it is. And after the 2005 strike it made them like and respect us even less. For some reason people don't believe we deserve to get paid what we do . They believe it's too much when all of the above departments get paid more then we do with out anyone questioning it. The way the public views your job as someone just pushing a lever getting paid $29 per hour. They don't have a clue to the dozens of other job functions you perform on a daily basis. And they look at my job as someone who just sits on my ass all day selling metrocards when they have no idea what else I do or have to deal with on a daily basis. It's all about perception, people see the police dealing with the criminal element of the city and automatically assume that is a more vital job than ours, same goes for corrections. And also people see the sanitation department dealing with snow and lots of trash and perceive that as a more important job function because 90% of them would not want to do that job. But since our jobs look easy from the outside and don't seem life threatening , they assume we don't deserve our salaries. If only they knew all we had to do and deal with on a daily basis they would change that perception.

Hey I hear you man. But like I said before there won't be a day when we get paid on the level of corrections, NYPD or Sanitation. Because we get little respect from our employer and the city and public. So no matter what we give up there will always be a gap in pay between us. We may not like it but that's the way it is. And after the 2005 strike it made them like and respect us even less. For some reason people don't believe we deserve to get paid what we do . They believe it's too much when all of the above departments get paid more then we do with out anyone questioning it. The way the public views your job as someone just pushing a lever getting paid $29 per hour. They don't have a clue to the dozens of other job functions you perform on a daily basis. And they look at my job as someone who just sits on my ass all day selling metrocards when they have no idea what else I do or have to deal with on a daily basis. It's all about perception, people see the police dealing with the criminal element of the city and automatically assume that is a more vital job than ours, same goes for corrections. And also people see the sanitation department dealing with snow and lots of trash and perceive that as a more important job function because 90% of them would not want to do that job. But since our jobs look easy from the outside and don't seem life threatening , they assume we don't deserve our salaries. If only they knew all we had to do and deal with on a daily basis they would change that perception.

Everything you've said is true. The fact that the public and the MTA hates us has nothing to do with givebacks. We give back 5yrs to top pay, MTA gives extra % in next contract. We give back smaller salaries for first year hires. MTA gives extra % in contract. We give back 30/62 pension reform,MTA should give LARGE % in contract. The point is at least run it by the membership, and if they're receptive, put it to a vote. If the % isn't large enough , WE vote it down. And you're right, we never will make more than Cops , Fire etc... we never did anyway.That's not the point. The point is they all made small givebacks over the years that benefited their current members, which in turn enlarged the gap between us. Every other union understands that sometimes you have to sacrifice the "young" for the greater good of the current dues paying membership.

Everything you've said is true. The fact that the public and the MTA hates us has nothing to do with givebacks. We give back 5yrs to top pay, MTA gives extra % in next contract. We give back smaller salaries for first year hires. MTA gives extra % in contract. We give back 30/62 pension reform,MTA should give LARGE % in contract. The point is at least run it by the membership, and if they're receptive, put it to a vote. If the % isn't large enough , WE vote it down. And you're right, we never will make more than Cops , Fire etc... we never did anyway.That's not the point. The point is they all made small givebacks over the years that benefited their current members, which in turn enlarged the gap between us. Every other union understands that sometimes you have to sacrifice the "young" for the greater good of the current dues paying membership.

I feel you, but it doesn't seem we have much to give back. What did we gain when we gave back the no lay off clause? And those other unions employers are more willing to work with them than the (MTA) is with us. If we are willing to give back so much just to get more money I would hate to see the shape of this union in 10 years. We're already in bad shape as it is now. All of you guys gave great reasons for your statements and I respect all of them. But I would hate for us to take another 0,0,3 contract in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My sentiments exactly.

The fight on the retirees health care was a bitter bone for me to chew on as well.. These guys had 20 and out, some lived out of CAMPERS or vans the last year of working, to be available to pick up ant scrap of OT to jack up the pension checks because it was only based off one year, and I need to pay for their health care?!? HUH!?!? No Thanks!

We have ACTIVE members living in NJ & PA who have to travel across state lines for healthcare coverage, and we are concerned with retirees who sold out future members? Somethings wrong with that picture..

As previously stared, if you don't like the pension, don't take the job..

It won't get worse, guaranteed by the constitution on NYS, but can get better..

Maybe if (MTA) had some staffing problems, they'd change their view of us as diposable..

Archived