R44 Early Retirement?

ctrain

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, if it is time to retire a train, then it is time. It's not the end of the world if a certain car class is to be retired. I mean we've all dealt with the R38-40M being retired.

So one saw me complaining when the Slants retired...people just need to let the trains retire if they need to retire, you can't tell the MTA what to do with their trains.

AFAIK, I never used that word. All I was wondering was where 3838 get that the trainset was retired.

The guy has his sources. He knows transit workers that gives him the information he needs, and he doesn't BS either.

5366 had a big gash right next to the bonnet, Trust Me these cars need to go ASAP, An R44 is in such bad shape that if it moved it would split in half, more than 2 more Trainsets of R46's have been transferd to 207th st from Jamaica, so there is atleast 6 trainsets of R46's at 207th st (they are not in service yet), Mostlikely the R44's replacement, I heard in March they will start taking them out train by train, as for the R32's and the 50 Plus 14 R42's that are left will not be going anywhere, That's already been established. What ever R32/R42 that in bad shape would be used for parts.

Dude The R44's have Cracks and bad frames okay ,They are going Bye Bye, One of the damn Cars can't even Move because The TA is affraid that it they move it it would split in half, I was at lefferts bivd on wendsday, 5366 had a Hole where the bonnet it located, 5368 has a big hole size of a hand, That's why they are going bye bye.

Why in the Hell would you want to run a train that has body problems, You would put the (A) passengers at risk.

You seem to hate every other train except for the R32's. Y'all talk about the negatives about subway cars, but there's no talk on the positives. Just like all these other trains survived with ungodly amounts of rust, so can the R44's. Put it like this. NO train will be rust free if it was in service longer than 20 years.

If a car were in such bad shape that it could not be moved, do you think they could have moved it into the shop to determine that?

Also, if an R44 were determined to be in such bad shape, do you really think R44s would still be in service today? The obvious answer is no. IF there was ANY chance that R44s would break in half in day to day service, they would be pulled immediately.

My point exactly.

Yea and there a piece or crap car.

In your opinion...

Thank you. I'm an (A) rider and I shake my head in disbelief every time I see the trains running by me, hoping that the cars don't break down on the poor passengers. The trains need to go. I don't necessarily hate them but they're going to be a detriment to the passengers if nothing's done about them fast.

The same thing happened to the Redbirds. You don't see them falling apart into a billion pieces, right? What makes you think it'll happen to the 44's?

rr4567, as I said above, the results of the survey will be revealed when the time is appropriate. No need to speculate. You'll all have plenty of time to react. It's amazing 19 pages and we are no further along than we were at probably Page 7.

Also speculation is a bad idea because when the time is right to release the results of the survey those who speculate on the wrong side of the fence are going to look very misinformed hmm?

Just saying...sit tight and stay tuned....nothing more to say at this time...

rr4567, as I said above, the results of the survey will be revealed when the time is appropriate. No need to speculate. You'll all have plenty of time to react. It's amazing 19 pages and we are no further along than we were at probably Page 7.

Also speculation is a bad idea because when the time is right to release the results of the survey those who speculate on the wrong side of the fence are going to look very misinformed hmm?

Just saying...sit tight and stay tuned....nothing more to say at this time...

Thank you! This thread has turned into mindless blather. Speculation doesn't help either. It just gives people false ideas. Yes, follow SubwayGuy's advice and wait

I rode an R44 from 34th/8th to W4th yesterday, and the ride didn't feel good at all. It honestly felt worst than a remaining 42, which feels more firm. Sounds terrible, but feels more firm, nonetheless. There wasn't that usual 75-footer bounce that I experience when riding a 46 (OK, that may not be the frame). Maybe I'm tripping but it was like the car body wasn't firm (don't trip, I not telling you I saw twisting--cause I would've been off the next stop). It just rode along, and was a really rough and bad sounding ride. I rode a 32 previous to that and it felt significantly better. Also, a 68 (brick on wheels, I kid not LOL) afterward, had less bounce (or was that no bounce...?) but still sturdy ride. It seems to me (A) riders need 46's quick, cause 44's are not like 32's, going above-and-beyond the call of duty. It's like when the clock strikes 12 on 40 years, they'll (44's) fall apart. I would've loved--and even expected--to see car types retired in order: R32, R38, R40...but that didn't happen. I couldn't figure out why 38's were the first to go. I guess, in a perfect world, there'd be about 150 R42's left to be retired.

I rode a few train types today and I'm ranking ride quality from first to last: R160, R32, R68,...............R44. LOL Maybe it was just that car... :P

I think this thread is great.This is probably the most attention the R44`s received in awhile.:P

Ain't that the truth :P

I dunno why everyone hates the 44's. I say railfanning should be about your enjoyment of the system, not about which trains are running :cool:

I rode an R44 from 34th/8th to W4th yesterday, and the ride didn't feel good at all. It honestly felt worst than a remaining 42, which feels more firm. Sounds terrible, but feels more firm, nonetheless. There wasn't that usual 75-footer bounce that I experience when riding a 46 (OK, that may not be the frame). Maybe I'm tripping but it was like the car body wasn't firm (don't trip, I not telling you I saw twisting--cause I would've been off the next stop). It just rode along, and was a really rough and bad sounding ride. I rode a 32 previous to that and it felt significantly better. Also, a 68 (brick on wheels, I kid not LOL) afterward, had less bounce (or was that no bounce...?) but still sturdy ride. It seems to me (A) riders need 46's quick, cause 44's are not like 32's, going above-and-beyond the call of duty. It's like when the clock strikes 12 on 40 years, they'll (44's) fall apart. I would've loved--and even expected--to see car types retired in order: R32, R38, R40...but that didn't happen. I couldn't figure out why 38's were the first to go. I guess, in a perfect world, there'd be about 150 R42's left to be retired.

I rode a few train types today and I'm ranking ride quality from first to last: R160, R32, R68,...............R44. LOL Maybe it was just that car... :P

From an (A) rider, I'm sorry for your suffering :P

Wow! If you know about Psychology, your mind was basically framed to focus on these flaws just b/c others exclusively buffed about them over the last weeks. Even worst than the R42s?...what is everyone thinking? The R42s have the worst suspension of all trains, even worse than the R32s. You can basically feel every jerk from their near-failing components. What you followed through is same token as Subliminal Perception: http://www.umich.edu/~onebook/pages/tablepages/history.html

Wow! If you know about Psychology, your mind was basically framed to focus on these flaws just b/c others exclusively buffed about them over the last weeks. Even worst than the R42s?...what is everyone thinking? The R42s have the worst suspension of all trains, even worse than the R32s. You can basically feel every jerk from their near-failing components. What you followed through is same token as Subliminal Perception: http://www.umich.edu/~onebook/pages/tablepages/history.html

You're just saying that because you hate the SMEEs. I was on an R42 on the (J) yesterday and my friends and I experienced a rather smooth ride. If the 32s and 42s outlast the 44s, they'll be given an SMS and they'll run for another 5 years.

Just because one train might not have had a smooth ride doesn't mean the entire fleet is like that. About a year ago I rode an R46 (R) from Queens Plaza to Lexington-59th and I had no idea how that train made it into service. Half the lights were out, water was dripping from the HVAC units and it sounded like something must have been misaligned in the truck or something because that ride was over twice as loud than in a normal R46 going over the same track and exposed to the same conditions.

Also, R44 actually may have a point here. You may have been focusing on the problems of the cars because you know about the problems now, but you might not have noticed it if it was a month or two ago. I'm not saying that you're lying or anything

Without a doubt Kris. Every car has its quirks. AFAIK, the most problematic bug of the 32s are door problems, but that's pretty much it. I've been on a train that didn't indicate despite the fact that all the doors were closed. The same thing happened to a consist of 68s I was on some time ago as well.

I'm not doubting it either, but when the problems are brought to a larger audience, like here or SubChat, who could help but to actually take the time and observe the problems than a normal passenger would? 5278, if you rode the R44s today and noticed what was going on than your point of view would be way different, trust me. Why? Because the issues have been brought up a well amount of times so you wouldn't be able to help but to see what's going on. When was the last time you've been to NYC anyway?

5278, if you rode the R44s today and noticed what was going on than your point of view would be way different, trust me. Why? Because the issues have been brought up a well amount of times so you wouldn't be able to help but to see what's going on. When was the last time you've been to NYC anyway?

Exactly, I think I have said it before on this thread but I'm a daily (A) train rider. There is little to none psychology involved. I bet money if you just take some random passenger and told them to ride both the R44 and R46s to see which has the best ride quality, they will pick the latter. Now I'm not saying every car in the fleet has problems but the cars I have ridden in have some weird shaking to it.

Archived