R44 Early Retirement?

ctrain

In other words, the rain pwns the R44s...lmao :P

Basically. Any rider out of rockaway can attest to that! They are rotting. end of story. Its not gonna effect the ride quality. Its gonna effect its structual durability. the second that is comprimised, thats it for the 44s. WHat mostly effects ride quality....track conditions.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basically. Any rider out of rockaway can attest to that! They are rotting. end of story. Its not gonna effect the ride quality. Its gonna effect its structual durability. the second that is comprimised, thats it for the 44s. WHat mostly effects ride quality....track conditions.

If the R44s ran on the (C), since it's an underground line, it won't be exposed to the elements compared to how the (A) runs by saltwater, further deteriorating its carbody.

If the R44s ran on the (C), since it's an underground line, it won't be exposed to the elements compared to how the (A) runs by saltwater, further deteriorating its carbody.

The R44s should have been on the (C) the second the r46's arrived, but that's just the opinion of one individual.

In related news, word around the camp fire is that 5342 is in terrible shape, so terrible that it may split in half if moved. I don't know how true this is, but several R44s have been retired due to frame problems so this is pretty believable.

Original thread

The R44s should have been on the (C) the second the r46's arrived, but that's just the opinion of one individual.

Eh, probably.

In related news, word around the camp fire is that 5342 is in terrible shape, so terrible that it may split in half if moved. I don't know how true this is, but several R44s have been retired due to frame problems so this is pretty believable.

Original thread

I heard the same thing, and my friend knows at T/O that works the (A), and lays up some of his runs there as well so he confirmed this. Four sets have already been taken OOS. If you ask me, the 44s doomsday is near.

One more question: I know there are some odd-ball sets [the numbers being 'random'], but are R44's linked 4-car sets? Maybe if only one car out of the set is bad, could they replace it with a car from another set?

They could do that if they wanted to.

My understanding of it was:

If they can keep all of the R44s, they can get rid of all the R32/R42s basically immediately.

If they have to start getting rid of R44s due to structural issues, they can't get rid of the R32/R42s without ending up with too few cars, so they would instead get rid of all the R44s basically immediately.

Also, that it works best for the (MTA) if they get rid of all remaining R32/R42s OR all remaining R44s, but not if they get rid of some R32/R42s and some R44s.

And that finally, all of all 3 types will be gotten rid of with the remaining R160s arriving to finish off either the R32/R42 OR R44 and another option order of R160s to finish off whichever wasn't eliminated by the current order.

IS this correct?

According to the other board, Money and a lack of technology for an alternative. The post also talks about them being replaced in 2005, which may explain where that fictional third R160 option order came from.

The original slate was to have the R44s retire with the 2nd R160 option, while leaving some MK R42s and the R32s (Phase Is and IIs). When the Phase IIs experienced braking problems, that slate was changed.

I can't wait for the results of the survey. Whatever they are, it's still sad cause I love the R32, R42 and the R44 and it's sad that any of them have to go but if the R44 is in a really dangerous way, then they must go ASAP. The saga continues...

Archived