R44 Early Retirement?

ctrain

Then why is it only me who feel the ride quality getting worse, maybe you ride the R-44 much and cannot really feel the change. If you ride the R44's less maybe you could feel the change, seriously and I am not wasting Harry's server space. If you want to make a 'war' with me take it to PM.
How's was the ride quality when you rode an R44? Was it rockin, shakin, bumpin.......honesty i've never rode it.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget it, I am sick and tired of explaining their change of ride quality, their ride currently is worse than the R-46 while before they feel better than the R-46. I still do not know why am I the only one who is feeling this, I am honestly saying the R-44's ride got worse :confused:...

For somebody that rides the (A) line DAILY, I can tell you there is no noticeable difference between the R44 and R46 in terms of ride quality. The R32 is somewhat rough but that is not the point of this topic.

For somebody that rides the (A) line DAILY, I can tell you there is no noticeable difference between the R44 and R46 in terms of ride quality. The R32 is somewhat rough but that is not the point of this topic.

^Agreeded both cars sway from side to side like crazy. Nonetheless its a smooth yet jerky ride.

I know the last Time I rode an R44 It was sluggish in speed but none the less smooth.Trains get better with age.B)

I have no idea what you're talking about. Suspension-wise the R44 and R46 are almost exactly alike. Their suspensions are exactly as similar as the R32 and R38/R42. These cars did not have a 'serious deterioration' in a year.

^Agreeded both cars sway from side to side like crazy. Nonetheless its a smooth yet jerky ride.

THANK YOU.

Surely plenty of vibiration, feeling plenty of jolts during turns and definitely bumpy and the propulsion seemed to get louder. I don't know why but in 2008 the ride was still overall smooth, the R-44s seriously deteriorated during Middle of 2008 - Middle of 2009...

Well, IDK why but my R-44s I rode are all suddenly as described, unless I am dreaming but I am not and have blurry photos to prove, but it may make you dizzy...

Also the issue of the frames has nothing to do with the "suspension" which is the ride quality that you are complaining about. Blurry photos are not evidence of "the smoothness" of a train's ride or lack thereof, only evidence of one's inability to hold the camera steady while the train is moving. Hey I have the same problem too on any train, I'm no photographer, but it don't mean the ride quality is bad...

Then why is it only me who feel the ride quality getting worse, maybe you ride the R-44 much and cannot really feel the change. If you ride the R44's less maybe you could feel the change, seriously and I am not wasting Harry's server space. If you want to make a 'war' with me take it to PM.

AWWANG Please don't confuse calling you out for posting lies and BS as attempting to start a "flame war", because I can assure you that it's not.

Honestly, you're seeing things. You want the R-44s to be worse than SMEEs so that they'll get reefed first, so you feel what you want to feel which is in this case the ride quality getting worse. Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth, but that's what it looks like. And obviously if you don't ride them often then you really can't tell if it's worse or not compared with someone who rides them daily or better yet, works on the equipment regularly.

Don't take it as a "war", I'm only telling you this because it's comments like that which have no facts backing them up which is the reason why a lot of people criticize these forums, because there are too many people posting nonsense with no basis for their claims. It often has to do with hating one car type over another and bringing up reasons why they "need to go".

But there definitely a difference in acceleration,speed and propulsion.R44`s I hate to say it are slower and louder.B)

Ok so after looking at some SIRT R44s down at CIY, they do have frame rot along the lines of those on the (A) line. The have even installed drains, yes drains so water that gets in will not do has much damage as it has already. This does not mean that they are not safe, it only means that the TA will need to replace them and rethink about spending money to keep them around longer.

Seen'em and if it were up to me, they would be on the Weeks barge right now.

The NYCT and MK rebuilds were the same as far as parts are concerned.

As far as labor is concerned, theyve all been taken apart and put back together numerous times by NYCT since GOH, so I can't see how their rebuilder would matter at all by now.

Either way- I will say that R44s are some of the quietest cars in the fleet.

The NYCT and MK rebuilds were the same as far as parts are concerned.

As far as labor is concerned, theyve all been taken apart and put back together numerous times by NYCT since GOH, so I can't see how their rebuilder would matter at all by now.

Either way- I will say that R44s are some of the quietest cars in the fleet.

I always noticed a dfference between the two.Someone mentione earlier in this topic that the (NYCT) at the time during the cars GOH,had rookie technicians working on the cars at Coney and 207th street.I don`t know if that is true or not.But I always notice the MK version is in slightly better shape.lets all atart the "Save the R44 fund" It`s tax deductable and free metrocards with every donation:p

Have any of you seen the Staten Island Railway R44's lately? Check by the doors. There are cracks on the side of them. They have to retire them ASAP or people will get hurt if the train "rips."

Yup. Not looking too good, but what happens happens it's not my call. However, If they are unsafe, they will not enter service, guaranteed, so no one gonna get hurt...

I know 46's have a smooth, bouncy ride (I'm thinking it's cause it's 75 feet), reminding me of an M1/M3. But what I wanna ask is: Can 44's still do 87.75 mph, or have their motors been changed to the standard 55 mph limit.

we wish, but yes, the motors have been downgraded, and field shunting (which allows the motors to turn at a faster rate) has been removed since GOH.

I know 46's have a smooth, bouncy ride (I'm thinking it's cause it's 75 feet), reminding me of an M1/M3. But what I wanna ask is: Can 44's still do 87.75 mph, or have their motors been changed to the standard 55 mph limit.

To answer your question, no, they can't hit 85+ anymore.

Archived