ctrain

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does RCI stand for?

Road

Car

Inspector

They are being sarcastic, because this thread has been cluttered with amateur car equipment diagnoses by railfans from the start and all attempts to correct misinformation have been followed by more of the same.

So you made your judgment after someone gave a possibility of a problem with the R44 (which has nothing to do with ride quality), thereby affecting your judgment of the car itself. You would not have noticed these "problems" with the ride quality before people started shit talking them because they don't exist. I have been riding the R46s regularly for almost four years and I have started riding R44s regularly as well for the past couple of months. Their ride quality is almost, if not exactly the same.

The problem was inspection for cracks in the car's undercarriage, causing them to twist as they ride, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't get on the car looking for car body twist. I was looking for ride quality due to their 40th year being next year. If twisting could be seen--EMERGENCY! I am assuming that structural integrity can be felt, though. The ride from 34th street-Penn Station to W 4th Street looked (very low lighting--are they trying to set a mood?) and felt (it was almost like there were no shocks) like crap, car body or not. Everything that the shocks, or wheels, or trucks can convey to me has to go through the frame first, in order for me to feel anything. So instead of saying ride quality, I'll now say that my R44 ride experience has never been as good as...any other car's, for that matter.

The problem was inspection for cracks in the car's undercarriage, causing them to twist as they ride, if I'm not mistaken.

The problem has to do with the car's frame, which is different from, and more extensive than its undercarriage.

I didn't get on the car looking for car body twist. I was looking for ride quality due to their 40th year being next year. If twisting could be seen--EMERGENCY! I am assuming that structural integrity can be felt, though.

Twisting would be neither seen nor felt unless precise measuring instruments were used. Any changes in ride quality would be 100% imperceptible. Structural integrity has nothing to do with ride quality. Likewise, a poor quality ride does not indicate a structural problem. It could indicate a number of things.

The ride from 34th street-Penn Station to W 4th Street looked (very low lighting--are they trying to set a mood?) and felt (it was almost like there were no shocks) like crap, car body or not.

OK well that's your opinion then, but it doesn't mean anything more than that it's just your opinion.

Everything that the shocks, or wheels, or trucks can convey to me has to go through the frame first, in order for me to feel anything.

Oy, without getting into subway car suspension at all, let's just simplify it to this: If I take an automobile, pop its tire, and drive down the highway fast on three tires and a rim, the ride quality isn't going to be very good either...and all of that vibration is going to go through the frame too on its way to me, but it doesn't mean the frame is the problem...

The frame of the car sits on the suspension, and the suspension is what does the moving around when a car is moving. All those little side to side movements, the vibrations...all of that is related to the car's suspension, coupler slack, center casting (where the car rests on its truck), and the condition of the track NOT it's frame.

So instead of saying ride quality, I'll now say that my R44 ride experience has never been as good as...any other car's, for that matter.

OK so again that's your opinion which you're entitled to, you don't like the car fine, but I'm telling you it has nothing to do with the frame. Had no one posted anything most of the railfans here wouldn't even realize there was a problem with the R44's that was being studied because the cars would look and ride exactly the same as a few weeks ago before this was "hot news"...stick around in this hobby long enough and you will see why I say things like that...heck a couple months ago people were posting about how they liked the R44's because they had a "railroad like smooth ride" so what gives? Just them reacting to a little new information the way they can be expected to...so now you know and you can be better than that :P

Road

Car

Inspector

They are being sarcastic, because this thread has been cluttered with amateur car equipment diagnoses by railfans from the start and all attempts to correct misinformation have been followed by more of the same.

I don't know alot about tracton motors it was an (A) C/R my friend knows who told me that unusual high-pitched whirring was because the were worn out...

Incorrect then?

This is literally one of the best threads here.I find it hard to believe that even the buffest of railfans still cant tell the difference between the R44 and 46.What I like as well about the R44 is the Glass partitions near the doors which to me gives it class and a sense of security to anyone sitting in that seat.The R46 doesn`t have it.Like can you tell the difference between a ford taurus and a Mercury sable? or a phillips tv and a magnavox?

I don't know alot about tracton motors it was an (A) C/R my friend knows who told me that unusual high-pitched whirring was because the were worn out...

Incorrect then?

Incorrect.Like subway guy stated,the whirring noise is caused by a metallurgical quirk in the motor gears.In other words its harmless in nature,but its also one of those things that are overlooked.

This is literally one of the best threads here.I find it hard to believe that even the buffest of railfans still cant tell the difference between the R44 and 46.What I like as well about the R44 is the Glass partitions near the doors which to me gives it class and a sense of security to anyone sitting in that seat.The R46 doesn`t have it.Like can you tell the difference between a ford taurus and a Mercury sable? or a phillips tv and a magnavox?

don't forget the glaring difference between an R44 and R46 - The R46 lacks the covered up blue stripe on the side :P

Incorrect.Like subway guy stated,the whirring noise is caused by a metallurgical quirk in the motor gears.In other words its harmless in nature,but its also one of those things that are overlooked.

Yes that's correct.

In a DC subway motor like that on the R44's, should parts become "worn out" it would typically be in the area of the brushes or the commutator itself (although there are other areas of the motor that can become worn out). Should serious wear occur in that area and go unchecked, it could result in flashover of the motor in which case you'd see big electrical arcs coming from the motor...let it go long enough and the motor would straight up blow out.

The problem has to do with the car's frame, which is different from, and more extensive than its undercarriage.

Twisting would be neither seen nor felt unless precise measuring instruments were used. Any changes in ride quality would be 100% imperceptible. Structural integrity has nothing to do with ride quality. Likewise, a poor quality ride does not indicate a structural problem. It could indicate a number of things.

OK well that's your opinion then, but it doesn't mean anything more than that it's just your opinion.

Oy, without getting into subway car suspension at all, let's just simplify it to this: If I take an automobile, pop its tire, and drive down the highway fast on three tires and a rim, the ride quality isn't going to be very good either...and all of that vibration is going to go through the frame too on its way to me, but it doesn't mean the frame is the problem...

The frame of the car sits on the suspension, and the suspension is what does the moving around when a car is moving. All those little side to side movements, the vibrations...all of that is related to the car's suspension, coupler slack, center casting (where the car rests on its truck), and the condition of the track NOT it's frame.

OK so again that's your opinion which you're entitled to, you don't like the car fine, but I'm telling you it has nothing to do with the frame. Had no one posted anything most of the railfans here wouldn't even realize there was a problem with the R44's that was being studied because the cars would look and ride exactly the same as a few weeks ago before this was "hot news"...stick around in this hobby long enough and you will see why I say things like that...heck a couple months ago people were posting about how they liked the R44's because they had a "railroad like smooth ride" so what gives? Just them reacting to a little new information the way they can be expected to...so now you know and you can be better than that :)

I like you!!! You have facts!!! and use them!!!!

i love how people are forgeting that supension AND track conditions (as you stated) is the 2 top factors of ride quality. where i live, track conditions change like night and day. Broad Channel flats-kinda rocky. hammels wye to 73rd st-kinda rocky. 73st to B67/Gaston-smooth as silk! No matter what kind of train car! why? Track! the 44s and 46s while riding on new track with concrete ties are both smooth rides! cracked frame or not! And i too remember the praises people were giving the 44s not too long ago who now jump on the 44s-are-crap bandwagon.

The point is that people are treating the R44 as if it's 90% different from the R46. It's the exact opposite. Aside from a little glass, some extra paint around the carbody among other minor things the cars are basically the same (and I'm not even saying they're exactly the same. I hope that all of you can see that they look and ride almost the same).

I like you!!! You have facts!!! and use them!!!!

i love how people are forgeting that supension AND track conditions (as you stated) is the 2 top factors of ride quality. where i live, track conditions change like night and day. Broad Channel flats-kinda rocky. hammels wye to 73rd st-kinda rocky. 73st to B67/Gaston-smooth as silk! No matter what kind of train car! why? Track! the 44s and 46s while riding on new track with concrete ties are both smooth rides! cracked frame or not! And i too remember the praises people were giving the 44s not too long ago who now jump on the 44s-are-crap bandwagon.

That's why foaming is simply sad...

Agreed. Being passionate, energetic, enthusiastic, and even emotional is one thing. I can understand someone being sad of the possibility of losing the 44s or the joy of getting rid of them. But to flip-flop just because there was news of a possible problem?

Foam! like a raccoon with rabies!

LOL for all of that they should have kept the blue strip.Carbon steel is a no-no.:tdown:

Totally agree. I already don't like the look of both the 44s and 46s without the blue stripe, but since they still have to paint the former stripe area on the 44s anyway, they might as well paint it blue.

Agreed. Being passionate, energetic, enthusiastic, and even emotional is one thing. I can understand someone being sad of the possibility of losing the 44s or the joy of getting rid of them. But to flip-flop just because there was news of a possible problem?

Lol! Speaking of which, I saw a raccoon some time ago near the 179th Street (F) train station (outside of course). They were running off the street. Looks like they finished up some rail foamer extermination! :)

Lol! Speaking of which, I saw a raccoon some time ago near the 179th Street (F) train station (outside of course). They were running off the street. Looks like they finished up some rail foamer extermination! :)

LMAO I also seen one out here in Stamford just 2 days ago,although they are a common sight,just seeing them run across busy streets is funny.:)

Totally agree. I already don't like the look of both the 44s and 46s without the blue stripe, but since they still have to paint the former stripe area on the 44s anyway, they might as well paint it blue.

What they should do is place the ads in that space, like they did on the 62's. The blue Monroe ad made it look like the old design with the blue stripe. Instead, for the 44's, they came up with some ad covering the window, which has been long dropped by now.

LMAO I also seen one out here in Stamford just 2 days ago,although they are a common sight,just seeing them run across busy streets is funny.;)

LOL not to keep off the topic, but when i saw my first raccoon here in Rockaway i thought it was a dog at first! i grew up n the Bronx. i never saw one until rockaway. My PJs hav them, ive even seen one on the platform at Broad Channel!

Now back on the topic, i too beleive they shouldve kept the blue stripe. It was part of the MTA's "corporate look". i could understand the reasoning behind the red on the 142s (they did replace the Redbirds). but with color seeming to be making a comeback on the MTAs rail equipment (i.e. the M8s) i say the net fleet of cars should have some blue in it. If anything, to pay tribute to the cars (44s) they will most likely replace. Hopefully the 44s will be around when that time comes. We shall see when the final verdict is made.

And i too remember the praises people were giving the 44s not too long ago who now jump on the 44s-are-crap bandwagon.

I know! Stick to one opinion, and DO NOT start foaming at the mouth and changing your mind about them just because they have problems.

I have one thing to say ;)

Rail foamers are the 37.4 Gallon ones

:P

tank-foamers_lg.jpg

Remember, it is not good to always change your mind. Stick to one side.

and...

Don't tell a foamer they're wrong. They'll look like this

:)

racoon.JPG

________________________________________________________________________________

I wasn on the (A) to Rockaway Park riding an R44. I don't know what everyone's complaining about. It was a nice ride, and it did not feel like the train would fall apart.

Archived