The General Nighttime Photography Thread

Two of my favorite night shots. Like RokuSix, my digital camera also lacks manual settings so I set the exposure to the lowest setting, choose the right white balance setting and stand as still as my skinny-ass frame can be, 'Cloudy' works pretty good in the night for me and flourescent for those areas brightly lit...

RailFanTripandGMCFishbowl0240001JPE.jpg

RailFanTripandGMCFishbowl0150001JPE.jpg

Ugh, I am so, so, so bad at nighttime photography! Even dusk screws me up. Anyone have any tips on how to take pictures at night?

My camera lacks manual settings, by the way.

What camera do you have? I suggest get a tripod or something...and set it to the lowest ISO settings as possible. And usually you get best results when your subject is not moving.

I agree 100% with Harry, that is an awesome photo!!! Keep it up!

I still don't know how to do that kind of effect...

It's actually very easy once you understand depth of field. Remember, there is a 'near limit' and a 'far limit'.

That said, I typically think anything involving a bus blows chunks, but that is a technically and compositionally great photo.

I agree 100% with Harry, that is an awesome photo!!! Keep it up!

I still don't know how to do that kind of effect...

I think part of it has to do with the fact that he used a photoshop type software to pourposely blurr out the signs and everything past the street.

I too generally do not favor night shots as well even underground shots. Unless I have a DSLR cam or something that has 10x optical zoom, P&S cams are out as far as night shot goes. It would have to be very still [the object] or it will be messed up.

That's why I prefer to take above ground or daytime shots more.

I'll post some eventually.

From a P&S

DSC27403.jpg

DSC21006.jpg

I know the pics seems hazy, I probably would have to just leave the original image alone than to try and 'brighten' them.

I have a P&S that is not a POS and I love it!

True, I need to hold still, but that's a VERY TINY setback.

But everything else is like WOW and I have no regrets. I don't care for an SLR at this moment.

These pictures from last night were all taken WITHOUT a tripod.

normal_8258%7E0.jpg

normal_8329.jpg

normal_7254.jpg

normal_8140.jpg

normal_5723%7E0.jpg

normal_5669.jpg

Now if you're talking about moving objects then that's a different story, but I am not complaining at all.

Archived