End of future High Floor buses for T/A?

mark1447

The contract part of the 260 bus order (last New Flyer D60HF artic order) states to build high floor. New Flyer agrees with the option order of the 260 bus main order. Suddenly, New Flyer back out of the high floor production and tries to "persuade" MTA to order low floor when New Flyer factories is already in low floors and didnt have room nor space to build high floors for MTA.

The could have been 2004-2005 New Flyer D60HF buses would be numbered as 5770-5834 (65 buses), with the same spec as 5560-5769.

MTA still is angry towards New Flyer unless it can make it up for this upcoming CNG order.

Thank you for explaining that issue. I had only hear bits and pieces of that story.

I hope that the (MTA) and New Flyer can settle their differences and work together again. They made some great buses for us and I'd love to see what else New Flyer can do for NYC.

ugh, they didnt made a good bus in the 1999-2000 NF D60HF order.

Ramps > lifts. An RTS I was on had to restart 3 times for the lift to work. Another time a bus had to be taken out of service because the lift was stuck in the up position.

Tell that to FG with his 50 Cent mentality. Since he hates the hybrids, everyone should detest them

Just so you guys know...such an animal does exist. Orion built two Orion V hybrids in 2003/2004 using GM Allison technology, one of which operators for FAX in Fresno, CA and the other which is sitting at the Mississauga facility and still undergoes testing.

And for the sake of discussion...the Orion V wasn't necessarily "discontinued". It may not be advertised anymore on the website, but the jigs for production are still stored at the Mississauga facility and if a decent order came along (not talking like 100+, even 20 is what I've heard and they would produce an order) it would be easy to put it back into production. It was really just a matter of plant space that they had - it's no doubt that the VII NG is the best seller and they needed the plant space to keep a constant pace of production. It's also the reason the last orders (for Westchester and Sonoma County) were so slow and late - by October 2008 the only had a single production line for the Orion V, all the other jigs for the other lines they had were taken down and put into storage.

Great Information:):tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:..I would love to see new Orion V CNG's

A bus is expected to have a minimum service life of 12 years.

Bullcrap, thats the feds rule in which the transit authorities across the US use federal funds to purchase buses.

MTA doesnt even retire the fleet at 12 years old.

Bullcrap, thats the feds rule in which the transit authorities across the US use federal funds to purchase buses.

MTA doesnt even retire the fleet at 12 years old.

No, he's right - when buses are purchased using funding they are expected to be in service for the duration of their minimum design life - which in the case of the Orion V is 12 years.

If the MTA decides to keep the fleet running for more than 12 years then that's their decision.

No, he's right - when buses are purchased using funding they are expected to be in service for the duration of their minimum design life - which in the case of the Orion V is 12 years.

If the MTA decides to keep the fleet running for more than 12 years then that's their decision.

Im not saying you are wrong, but most transit agencies have buses beyond 12 years or 500,000 miles; they dont really follow the Federal guidelines minimum requirement of replacements. Medium to heavy duty buses should last 12 years and beyond.

Im not saying you are wrong, but most transit agencies have buses beyond 12 years or 500,000 miles; they dont really follow the Federal guidelines minimum requirement of replacements. Medium to heavy duty buses should last 12 years and beyond.

Again, if an agency keeps a bus operating for more than 12 years or whatever the FTA designated lifespan is, that's their choice.

So he's not wrong but I am, even though we said the same thing...

I can assure you what you said is correct.

Archived