End of future High Floor buses for T/A?

mark1447

Yeah, too bad the same can't be said for the foamers who call themselves a commuter, yet they avoid a line just because of equipment it uses. That makes me laugh!!!!!! If I see an Orion 7 NG on the S79, I'm getting on it. If it's an Orion 5 on the S79, I'll definitely get on it! As long as I need to get where I need to go in one piece, be it on an R160, an R44, an R46 or an R32, I'm getting on. This discrimination over lines because of the subway cars it uses is retarded.

That makes me cry, cause I can only feel sorry for that poor soul.........

I'm no bus expert, but all good points aside, the newer designs of busses will probably be more like a medium level floor, and then the low levels will be there too. Things are changing, the old fleet is on its way out, and the new fleet and the beginning of the next one will be different. Just be glad it isn't the 70's when there were barely any fleet refreshes.

- A

a hybrid orion 5 could be possible...they made a hybrid RTS IIRC

Just so you guys know...such an animal does exist. Orion built two Orion V hybrids in 2003/2004 using GM Allison technology, one of which operators for FAX in Fresno, CA and the other which is sitting at the Mississauga facility and still undergoes testing.

And for the sake of discussion...the Orion V wasn't necessarily "discontinued". It may not be advertised anymore on the website, but the jigs for production are still stored at the Mississauga facility and if a decent order came along (not talking like 100+, even 20 is what I've heard and they would produce an order) it would be easy to put it back into production. It was really just a matter of plant space that they had - it's no doubt that the VII NG is the best seller and they needed the plant space to keep a constant pace of production. It's also the reason the last orders (for Westchester and Sonoma County) were so slow and late - by October 2008 the only had a single production line for the Orion V, all the other jigs for the other lines they had were taken down and put into storage.

Just so you guys know...such an animal does exist. Orion built two Orion V hybrids in 2003/2004 using GM Allison technology, one of which operators for FAX in Fresno, CA and the other which is sitting at the Mississauga facility and still undergoes testing.

And for the sake of discussion...the Orion V wasn't necessarily "discontinued". It may not be advertised anymore on the website, but the jigs for production are still stored at the Mississauga facility and if a decent order came along (not talking like 100+, even 20 is what I've heard and they would produce an order) it would be easy to put it back into production. It was really just a matter of plant space that they had - it's no doubt that the VII NG is the best seller and they needed the plant space to keep a constant pace of production. It's also the reason the last orders (for Westchester and Sonoma County) were so slow and late - by October 2008 the only had a single production line for the Orion V, all the other jigs for the other lines they had were taken down and put into storage.

Are you telling me that there are Orion could easily resume the 5 model if they wanted to?

LOL ADA fail!!!:P
That is nothing to do the ADA. Its the wheelchair mechanical lifts fail.

Are you telling me that there are Orion could easily resume the 5 model if they wanted to?

If there are bids for high floor transit models, they could happily accept it and start producing the Orion V.

This post made my day! The Orion V still lives! Thank you for this information sir!

I think the (MTA) is staying in the Low-Floor direction, which I think is unfortunate cause this city is not a low-floor city. The city is full of potholes and craters and you feel EVERY bump on the road with these buses. Plus, there's less room in them than a high floor, which at times can make riding on them pure hell if its crowded. They are good for the wheelchair bound and elderly but if that bus is not at the curb, that low floor might as well be a high floor cause it is high from the ground even after it kneels. You would think that the way the (MTA) is, they would be demanding high floor buses like they did with New Flyer several years back but from my understanding, the bus industry is dominated by low floor buses so I guess it's a matter of adapting and overcoming where the (MTA) and us riders are concerned.

Even with my views on low floor buses, I'm not completely against them because I am willing to give the Nova LFSA's a chance and from what I've heard about them, I am hopeful but I have to ride it first. Whatever the case is, whether I'm down with them or not, I'm riding on whatever comes my way because when it comes to buses, I don't have much of a choice.

Wow, now that's news. I'd love to see new Orion V's on the road here in NYC. Where u at (MTA)?

I think the (MTA) is staying in the Low-Floor direction, which I think is unfortunate cause this city is not a low-floor city. The city is full of potholes and craters and you feel EVERY bump on the road with these buses. Plus, there's less room in them than a high floor, which at times can make riding on them pure hell if its crowded. They are good for the wheelchair bound and elderly but if that bus is not at the curb, that low floor might as well be a high floor cause it is high from the ground even after it kneels. You would think that the way the (MTA) is, they would be demanding high floor buses like they did with New Flyer several years back but from my understanding, the bus industry is dominated by low floor buses so I guess it's a matter of adapting and overcoming where the (MTA) and us riders are concerned.

Even with my views on low floor buses, I'm not completely against them because I am willing to give the Nova LFSA's a chance and from what I've heard about them, I am hopeful but I have to ride it first. Whatever the case is, whether I'm down with them or not, I'm riding on whatever comes my way because when it comes to buses, I don't have much of a choice.

You should check out the New Flyer C40LFs we have, those ride like an high floor surprisingly! Bouncy, bouncy!

You should check out the New Flyer C40LFs we have, those ride like an high floor surprisingly! Bouncy, bouncy!

You know I forget all about them because I'm not in Brooklyn reguarly but I have been on the C40LF's and they are cool. The ride on those are bouncy and its not a hard kind of bounce either. Those buses are cool to me. I wonder how they would do in Manhattan or the Bronx, even Staten Island? I wish the (MTA) had brought more of them than those Orions. If the Orions rode like them, I wouldn't have many issues with low floor buses.

Yeah, it's too bad we screwed up with New Flyer! Sigh at the (MTA)

Yep, MTA wanted a high floor model of the D60 and in addition to the specs the MTA wanted that New Flyer were disputing, they delivered many of the buses late so the MTA went elsewhere.

Yep, MTA wanted a high floor model of the D60 and in addition to the specs the MTA wanted that New Flyer were disputing, they delivered many of the buses late so the MTA went elsewhere.

huh?

New Flyer broke the contract because they discontinue the high floor model, they offer the low floor model. At that time, MTA didnt want the low floor artic. MTA has been fighting this option order (65 high floor articulated buses) over a year in 2004-2005 and gave up on the order.

huh?

New Flyer broke the contract because they discontinue the high floor model, they offer the low floor model. At that time, MTA didnt want the low floor artic. MTA has been fighting this option order (65 high floor articulated buses) over a year in 2004-2005 and gave up on the order.

Oh so it was an option in the contract and not just New Flyer cancelling right in the middle of the order?

Oh so it was an option in the contract and not just New Flyer cancelling right in the middle of the order?

The contract part of the 260 bus order (last New Flyer D60HF artic order) states to build high floor. New Flyer agrees with the option order of the 260 bus main order. Suddenly, New Flyer back out of the high floor production and tries to "persuade" MTA to order low floor when New Flyer factories is already in low floors and didnt have room nor space to build high floors for MTA.

The could have been 2004-2005 New Flyer D60HF buses would be numbered as 5770-5834 (65 buses), with the same spec as 5560-5769.

MTA still is angry towards New Flyer unless it can make it up for this upcoming CNG order.

huh?

I see now, thanks.

The contract part of the 260 bus order (last New Flyer D60HF artic order) states to build high floor. New Flyer agrees with the option order of the 260 bus main order. Suddenly, New Flyer back out of the high floor production and tries to "persuade" MTA to order low floor when New Flyer factories is already in low floors and didnt have room nor space to build high floors for MTA.

The could have been 2004-2005 New Flyer D60HF buses would be numbered as 5770-5834 (65 buses), with the same spec as 5560-5769.

MTA still is angry towards New Flyer unless it can make it up for this upcoming CNG order.

I hope that the (MTA) and New Flyer can settle their differences and work together again. They made some great buses for us and I'd love to see what else New Flyer can do for NYC.

Archived