End of future High Floor buses for T/A?

mark1447

wrong forum, mods plz move to the previous forum!

I'm curies, as of the D60HFs(Excluding Ex-Bee Line Orion Vs), does, this mark then end of High Floor buses under MaBSTOA/NYCT/LIB/MTAB?

Seeing that future fleets after Orion 7 CNG/HEVs are low floor.. Including the future +SBS NovaBus LFS..

I'm curies, as of the D60HFs(Excluding Ex-Bee Line Orion Vs), does, this mark then end of High Floor buses under MaBSTOA/NYCT/LIB/MTAB?

Seeing that future fleets after Orion 7 CNG/HEVs are low floor.. Including the future +SBS NovaBus LFS..

Most likely, with maybe the possible exception of Express buses of the future. I don't really think TA likes the low floor, it is it puts more money in their pockets, cause the wheelchair lifts are cheap to maintain. The federal gov't (ADA), is going to give them the same amount of money to maintain a low floor bus wheelchair ramp, as it does to maintain a wheelchair lift. Lifts are expensive and prone to getting stuck, and breaking down. The ramp don't open, driver just grabs strap, and flip over. Actually it is faster to grab the strap, than doing the whole process to get the ramp activated to open. Kneel bus, go into neutral, pull up parking brake, get "wheelchair key", turn key, press button, etc. The ramp is not heavy either........

I agree about the ramp vs the lift. One time an RTS I was on had to be restarted twice just to get the lift to work. The ramp, just flips out and as you said, the strap is there if the b/o needs to open it manually. It's very simple and quick.

I personally prefer the hf buses, but if there's a wc rider, I'm glad I'm on a lf bus as it won't take too long for the person to get on and then the bus can move.

wrong forum, mods plz move to the previous forum!

Other than coach buses, you just answered your own question...

Not all is lost, NABI is making high floor buses from NJT and hopefully the TA will see interest in that bus as well with other transit company's,right now is low floor madness,but like the pull cord the high floor well make a comeback someday.:)

NABI wants no part of the MTA, they dont wanna risk their business with them.

Not all is lost, NABI is making high floor buses from NJT and hopefully the TA will see interest in that bus as well with other transit company's,right now is low floor madness,but like the pull cord the high floor well make a comeback someday.:)

NABI is not high floor. Only the back.. Which is just like the Orions 7 and later. And Orion 6.

im talking about Bee-Line., unless they are also?

Cant remember much since my last ride.

Well im talking about NABI in general, their 416s are High Floors and are still in the market. But dont count on it being on (MTA) property.

There is no definitive answer. I'm pretty sure that the Transit Authority would purchase whichever model is cheaper. Of course they will take into account the convenience of a low floor model, but if budget constraints require a high floor model that is hypothetically cheaper, they will take that one.

It seemed like after the MTA had a dispute with New Flyer when they wanted the D60s to be high-floor and not low-floor, they must have had a change of heart and decided to go low-floor. I personally like high-floors; I don't mind climbing a few extra steps to get a seat. Doesn't it seem like there are less amounts of seats on low-floor buses anyway?

It seemed like after the MTA had a dispute with New Flyer when they wanted the D60s to be high-floor and not low-floor, they must have had a change of heart and decided to go low-floor. I personally like high-floors; I don't mind climbing a few extra steps to get a seat. Doesn't it seem like there are less amounts of seats on low-floor buses anyway?

or MTA knows that no one will offer a high floor artic to their specs

There is no definitive answer. I'm pretty sure that the Transit Authority would purchase whichever model is cheaper. Of course they will take into account the convenience of a low floor model, but if budget constraints require a high floor model that is hypothetically cheaper, they will take that one.

Yea cheap and dangerous,if passengers sitting on the lower level and there is a car or truck crashing into the side of a low floor bus would cause injury to passengers.

If they don't want to pay wheelchair lifts that's fine,I just hope that have the money for lawsuits then ;)

This sucks. The low floor models have less seats and feel cramped. They also have a bumpier ride.

Hell yeah, every time I get on an Orion 7 NG on the S79 I'm usually displeased because for the whole ride it feels very bumpy. All you'll hear is rattling and shuddering and crap. Not the same on an Orion 5 though.

I don't think the lfs are that bad. Sure being lower to the ground will make the smallest of bumps worse, but the hybrids are pretty good rides.

incorrect

I find the NGs to be smoother than the RTSs.

Actually the only buses with a smoother ride than the NGs are the ExBL O5s but its very negligible.

This sucks. The low floor models have less seats and feel cramped. They also have a bumpier ride.

If you move to the back though you will have more space.

Actually Some Orion Vs ride more hard then a Low-Floor Bus. The bumpy ride could be caused by the transmission of the bus.

I remember back when Kingsbridge used to have all of their older Orion V's. Those things used to RATTLE! I don't ride buses though, and KB is among the worse depots in the city, so that isn't enough information to make a judgement. I've been on an NG a couple of times, more recently since I have to take routes that use them 2-3 times a week now.

Also, I think the (MTA) is going all low-floor now. The Nova LFSA's are low-floor except for the last 10 feet or so, so the (MTA) can have low-floor artics. IDK about express buses though.

Oh wow, a 3 word response... a step up at least..

And if you don't like the bus you are always free to ride the express buses you love so much. Plenty of room there, as in empty seats.

And fyi, I've been riding the hybrids for at least 3 years now. There's nothing totally bad about them.

You said it!

Archived