What's so special about RTS buses?

Bx41 Wakefield

It isn't fair. MTS failed to get a stable bus order, and just managed somehow to mess-up the design. In 2008 knowing they'd go bankrupt they filed for bankruptcy protection and never sold the RTS design. So they took it down to ground with the company in 2009.

But what market is there for standard-floor transit buses anymore? If NJT wasn't ordering them, the market would be none (DART in Texas is now ordering Gillig low floors).

Why people love them a lot is because that's what many people here grew up riding...RTS and Flxible buses. Now that there are only 12 TMC RTSs on the MTA roster still revenue active, that's why people are nostalgic.

I can see that being the case. When I was growing up they were starting to introduce the Orions. I didn't like the GMCs because they were old and rattling and the TMCs rattled but didn't have a cool sound like the 200 series Orions and then the 400 series Orions. The Orions were new and I liked everything about them. If I were to be appreciate any RTS, it would be the Novas for the DD50 engine.

Reading these comments now gives me an understanding why people love them so much, thank you all for your feedback, although it doesn't make me a fan I will think about this the next time I ride an RTS.

But what market is there for standard-floor transit buses anymore? If NJT wasn't ordering them, the market would be none (DART in Texas is now ordering Gillig low floors).

MTS offererd a low floor RTS. However, I dont think that model was produced. Low floor is the new standard.

MTS offererd a low floor RTS. However, I dont think that model was produced. Low floor is the new standard.

MTS did not offered the low-floor on the available product line up. They should have offered it already and it was bad timing. Low floor has been a new standard since New Flyer enter it in 1989 in the USA.

MTS did not offered the low-floor on the available product line up. They should have offered it already and it was bad timing. Low floor has been a new standard since New Flyer enter it in 1989 in the USA.

Yes they did. The RTS Extreme, a 40ft WFD RTS Low floor

They are great, especialy 8819. RTS's are also very popular. I will try to buy one if they try to retire it. Well, it depends on the $$$ & my licence at that time

What about a place to "park" it?

What about maintance? Expensive undertaking.

What about fuel? Diesel fuel is mighty expensive and you don't get very good MPG.

What about insurance?

No they did not, they were not ready to produce it. Even they were ready, they cant even get large orders from MBTA and NJT.

It was introduced, but as stated before MTS failed to get a stable order, so it was not produced.

Heres an image of the bus.

I believe this was the only one made.

http://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude/blogger/7072/1082/1600/Demonstrator_Millennium_RTSExtremea.jpg

It was introduced, but as stated before MTS failed to get a stable order, so it was not produced.

Heres an image of the bus.

I believe this was the only one made.

http://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude/blogger/7072/1082/1600/Demonstrator_Millennium_RTSExtremea.jpg

Ive seen that photo, MTS did experiments like many other bus manufacturers. The RTS Extreme was still not even in the finishing touches, they failed to tweak all the issues and did not even qualify to bid contracts on low floor buses.

I don't really care too much about RTSs. Back in 2004-2007 when I was busfanning "Greenboro" (Triboro/Green) many times I was always happy when I got those RTSs from the 1980s. Now that they are gone, and post-takeover, I don't busfan anymore. Since the beginning of 2008, I have only rode 1 RTS.

Another thing that brings back RTS memories is the fact that the first bus I got laid on was an RTS.

Post of 2010 to date! SOunds like a friend of mine who use to drive for Green Lines!!!

Millenium Transit Services Went out of buisness last year.

Noone makes the RTS anymore.:cry:

I understand they went into Chapter 11. And it looks like they may never recover

Ive seen that photo, MTS did experiments like many other bus manufacturers. The RTS Extreme was still not even in the finishing touches, they failed to tweak all the issues and did not even qualify to bid contracts on low floor buses.

theres another pic of them somewhere. i beleive it was taken outside the plant. there were interior photos too. ima look for them.

MTS' first big order was for NJT. I beleive 2 were delivered. A standard and a coach (suburban). They failed the QC testing. Mostly because of weight distribution. This is what happens when you mess with an already proven design. The T-drive screwed it up. They even tried to balence the weight by using a rooftop A/C. Wasnt enough.;)

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite speciality of the RTS is the stainless steel construction that keeps the structure from rusting out like most others. Body and chassis maintenance were greatly reduced. My most recent RTS purchase has a 315 HP DD Series 50 and Allison V731. It was a long drive to get her home, but she ran and drove good, and was well worth the trip.

Bob

I don't know what my fellow operators think but from where I sit, I think that the Nova & TMC RTS buses are the workhorses of the fleet. The suspensions are just better it seems. They take the pounding on the city streets day after day, night after night and just keep coming back for more. I have driven everything in the NYC Transit fleet, RTS, Artics, Hybrids, Orions, (first edition, ) and MCI's. I really like MCI's for their comfort behind the wheel. I really do not like Artics for many reasons. (too many to go into here) The Hybrids are terrific on acceleration! Step on the accelerator and they take off. The original Orions are starting to show their age. They are not as responsive as they used to be. (I suspect that the mechanics have installed governors in the engines to keep the speed down)

Back to the RTS. They are slowly being phased out as the 2nd generation Orion Hybrids are becoming a larger presence in the NYCTA fleet. I will miss them when they are gone but for my money, they were the best thing to happen to the fleet in a very long time!!!!(MTA)

Yes, the suspension is great, though the original drivers seats do leave some to be desired.

Good old StarMetro 9410 is still in the shop for her first private checkup since joining my collection last week. A new levelling valve, and a fluid/filters change are in progress. After, she'll be undergoing interior deconstruction in preparation for her rebirth.

Bob

Nova's wide front door model (RTS type 8) had more driver space. Im shocked the MTA never even tested that version. NovaBus did great with the modifications they made to the RTS. Millennium Transit killed the best bus! A T-drive on an RTS?? C'mon Son!! now the structural integrity comprimised cause youll have to split one 5' module to accomidate a 10' read overhang. Now there goes the weight distribution! moving the A/C to the roof wasnt gonna help that.

And they were gonna try to design a low floor version?? its why Nova designed the LFS! They knew a good thing with the RTS and left it as a high floor model.

I like many others here grew up with the RTS's. I've loved all models of buses that have been here in NYC but the bus I love the most is the RTS. I remember the sounds from the GMC and TMC RTS's back in the day. It sounded like music to my ears. The design was so futuristic to me as a kid and it still stands out like it did in 1990 and 1983. It feels strong on the road, especially when it goes over a pothole. That's why I am so excited about RTS's on the QBx1 cause it gives me a chance to ride them home which makes my day or/and night. I wish Millenium or some other agency would pick up the design again because NYC needs it really bad. Thank goodness GMC, TMC and Nova kept it going for as long as they did. The RTS's are my favorite buses of all time.

• 4 months later...

Pardon my grave-digging, but I just had to comment on this one! The RTS has, and always will be my favorite design. I has the best ride, suspension, and handling. TA's all across the country are still running 15-20 year old models. It was my favorite to drive next to the Flxibles, and nothing will ever compair to it. It handles excellent in the winter. Something the Low-Floors don't do well at all! The only major drawback is the lack of room in the drivers station. But if you are only 5'7" like me, it was perfect! My favorites were the GMC's, TMC's, and ZF Nova's.

their design and construction was made to ease costs and increase operation life and also provide transit agencies with many options as far as length, and arraignments.

its frame consists of 5' modules welded together. this helps to:

a) build buses quick and efficient, at lengths of 30' 35' and 40' and provide options on standard or suburban layouts as well as a wide front door option when built by Nova.

;) if a bus' frame was damaged in an acident, instead of scrapping the whole bus, it can be returned to the manufacturer so the damaged module can be removed and replaced and returned to service.

Its body construction, as one can see by looking at it, is made up of sectional paneling that, if damaged, can be removed and replaced just like the frame.

and its electrical system was also designed to provide easy maintenance.

throw in, as mentioned above, options for transmissions, engines, HVAC systems and what you have is, IMO, the world's most versitile, durable, and long lasting bus!!!

There's a reason why 3 of the 4 manufacturers didnt tinker much with its original design. Millennium Transit screwed up the design by incorporating a T-drive which required the redesign on the module layout creating a change in weight distribution.

Its V-drive may have no longer been standard in the industry, but agencies were willing to deal with it given the pros of the design overall.

Actually, TMC came up with the T-Drive RTS-07. Nova refined it, and Millennium tried to make it standard. Not only that, but nobody wanted to produce V-Drive powertrains anymore. The RTS was the last of the big boys to employ the T-Drive arrangement.

Millenium Transit Services Went out of buisness last year.

Noone makes the RTS anymore.:cry:

They didn't go out of business at all my friend. Stay tuned. The RTS saga has not come to an end yet. Trust me on that one!!

Good ol' RTS. The RTS runs on my home line [b44] and still runs in great numbers long after the Hybrids arrived @ Flatbush Depot. Heck, I even remember when RTS buses ran on the B8 [my other home line] years ago. Anyone remember the RTS' on the B6, the ones that used to have the comfy seats? Good times.

They were still on the B6 till the end of 2008. They were nice rides, but not ideal for when the line is really busy. They would've been better being used as express buses on the SC and LGA lines.

I used to love catching them on the (L) shuttles. Those bad boys haul some serious ass!

Archived