What's so special about RTS buses?

Bx41 Wakefield

I am not trying to sound ignorant but I just want to know people's opinions of RTS buses. What makes these buses better than other manufacturer models? I never enjoyed riding a GMC or a TMC. Although the Nova's were better. I just want to hear some opinions since there are alot of you who love RTS buses.

They're built solid, offer a VERY smooth ride, have one of the best engine/transmission combos (Can't go wrong with that DD50 and V-731!) and have quite a bit of room! Plus they don't seem to rattle as hard as the Orion Vs when empty! Only problem with it are the wheelchair lifts but it's rare to see that happen.

I am not trying to sound ignorant but I just want to know people's opinions of RTS buses. What makes these buses better than other manufacturer models? I never enjoyed riding a GMC or a TMC. Although the Nova's were better. I just want to hear some opinions since there are alot of you who love RTS buses.

G.M.C.'s RTS (Rapid Transit Series) bus is the successor to their New Look (aka "Fishbowl) and their Old Look.

As a G.M.C. Transit Bus fan, the RTS is my third favorite:

*Old Look

*New Look (aka "Fishbowl")

*RTS

TMC, NovaBus and Millenium have made RTS since 1987 but I still think of them as G.M.C. Transit.

They were built to last...most of us on here grew up with the RTS. Plus they come in different varieties like 35 & 40 ft types and different mechanical packages like DD50, DD50G, DD6V92A (or something like that lol) and even Cummins M11E engines. And you alse have the perfect transmission for any big vehicle (Allison V-730 and its predecessor V-731) and the ZF HP592C. The RTS is like the perfect bus no matter what you use it for

their design and construction was made to ease costs and increase operation life and also provide transit agencies with many options as far as length, and arraignments.

its frame consists of 5' modules welded together. this helps to:

a) build buses quick and efficient, at lengths of 30' 35' and 40' and provide options on standard or suburban layouts as well as a wide front door option when built by Nova.

;) if a bus' frame was damaged in an acident, instead of scrapping the whole bus, it can be returned to the manufacturer so the damaged module can be removed and replaced and returned to service.

Its body construction, as one can see by looking at it, is made up of sectional paneling that, if damaged, can be removed and replaced just like the frame.

and its electrical system was also designed to provide easy maintenance.

throw in, as mentioned above, options for transmissions, engines, HVAC systems and what you have is, IMO, the world's most versitile, durable, and long lasting bus!!!

There's a reason why 3 of the 4 manufacturers didnt tinker much with its original design. Millennium Transit screwed up the design by incorporating a T-drive which required the redesign on the module layout creating a change in weight distribution.

Its V-drive may have no longer been standard in the industry, but agencies were willing to deal with it given the pros of the design overall.

I hope Millenium sells back the rights to the RTS to Nova or such. RTS maybe dated, but they still get the job done. And are holding up better than the O5s.

Millenium Transit Services Went out of buisness last year.

Noone makes the RTS anymore.:cry:

Why people love them a lot is because that's what many people here grew up riding...RTS and Flxible buses. Now that there are only 12 TMC RTSs on the MTA roster still revenue active, that's why people are nostalgic.

I never drove or worked on one, so I can't give a fair opinion on that perspective.

But I have ridden them for years, and enjoyed their smooth ride (I believe they have independent front suspension?).

On the other hand, as a passenger I disliked the rear end of the interior.

The back seat seemed claustrophobic. And compared to their 'fishbowl' predessors, the forty footers went down from 53 to only 46 seats.

Damn, that's terrible. And they took the RTS down with them? That's not fair at all.

It isn't fair. MTS failed to get a stable bus order, and just managed somehow to mess-up the design. In 2008 knowing they'd go bankrupt they filed for bankruptcy protection and never sold the RTS design. So they took it down to ground with the company in 2009.

The RTSs were built to last a really long time, and for the most part, they've had a realy good longevity record. The GMC RTSs lasted for over twenty years here in the MTA, and they're still running very well in other places, like Walt Disney World.

The TMCs have lasted for years, too, with smaller changes along the way, like the introduction to the rooftop tailpipe on the CNGs, the ex-PBL RTSs, and 8565-6. The 8000s lasted for a long time and still did well despite them slowly being scrapped. They were built to last, too, but due to some maintenance issues, they're mostly not going to last as long as the GMCs. Almost all the TMCs are gone (including all the ENY 8600s) and should be gone by the summer (or spring), so there's a lot of nostalgia packed with them.

Archived