First fare-beating arrest at Tompkinsville train station

LRG

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A Bronx man became the first reported fare-beater at the Tompkinsville train station since the Metropolitan Transit Authority started collecting fares there last month, authorities allege.

Jorge L. Ramos, 40, who authorities say has a warrant out for his arrest in Massachusetts, tried to slip through an emergency exit door at the train station without paying the $2.25 fare.

"There are signs on the door saying you have to pay," a law enforcement source noted.

MTA police descended on him within moments and charged him with misdemeanor theft of services.

The law enforcement source said Massachusetts authorities will likely extradite him because of the active warrant, but didn't have any details on where in the state he was wanted, or for what crime.

The MTA started charging a fare at the Tompkinsville station on Jan. 20,

New York City Transit spent $6.9 million to build the new station house entrance, turnstiles, security cameras, and install MetroCard vending machines, in a move expected to realize about $702,000 a year at Tompkinsville.

The goal is to recoup some of the $3.4 million in revenue lost each year at the Railway due to the elimination of the fare in 1997.

Link: http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1265108416137630.xml&coll=1

Fare Beating on SIRR? This makes Staten Island look like a borough with a real transit system now. lol

As opposed to a fictional transit system?

once a dumbass, always a dumbass...

Time to start executing people just for being idiots. :cool:

It's kind of funny when people get caught fare beating. I'd rather pay the 2.25 than pay the 100 dollar fine and a mark.
No kidding. If I had a choice of paying $2.25 and keeping my record clean or get my ass kicked and get stuck with a petty criminal record, I'll be smart and pay the fare.

Apparently, this fool doesn't think so and will now thankfully suffer the consequences... :tup:

No kidding. If I had a choice of paying $2.25 and keeping my record clean or get my ass kicked and get stuck with a petty criminal record, I'll be smart and pay the fare.

Apparently, this fool doesn't think so and will now thankfully suffer the consequences... :tup:

The guy must have forgotten that he is not in the Bronx anymore. I used to steal the station notices

Take the damn fairgates out of the station man, there going to more plus I've heard there was going to be some kinda teen revolt, where like 80 kids will jump the fairgate at Tompkinsville on Apr. 1st. Happy early April Fools Day (MTA).

SI residents have been getting a free ride for too long. They keep crying about how service is so bad, yet they don't pay for it unless they get off at either end of the line. Fare control should be put in at every station along that line, then just maybe people will take them seriously in the other 4 boros when they complain about poor service. They also need to start charging people who use the SI Ferry, why should they get a free ride?

As for this mope, not surprising at all that he had an active warrant. Don't you think one would try an lay low if you knew you had a warrant out?

Now for that whole April fools day fare evasion thing. Good let them do it and issue them summonses, check for warrants, and search them. I'm sure you'll find some knifes or drugs on a few of them.

SI residents have been getting a free ride for too long. They keep crying about how service is so bad, yet they don't pay for it unless they get off at either end of the line. Fare control should be put in at every station along that line, then just maybe people will take them seriously in the other 4 boros when they complain about poor service. They also need to start charging people who use the SI Ferry, why should they get a free ride?

As for this mope, not surprising at all that he had an active warrant. Don't you think one would try an lay low if you knew you had a warrant out?

Now for that whole April fools day fare evasion thing. Good let them do it and issue them summonses, check for warrants, and search them. I'm sure you'll find some knifes or drugs on a few of them.

The ferry has been free since the 80s. I don't think Staten Islanders would let that fly over if they had to pay for ferry service (how would it be controlled?). But I agree with you for the most part in the fact that there should be fare control at all the stations and not just at the northern end.

The ferry has been free since the 80s. I don't think Staten Islanders would let that fly over if they had to pay for ferry service (how would it be controlled?). But I agree with you for the most part in the fact that there should be fare control at all the stations and not just at the northern end.

The ferry became free when Giuliani was elected in 1993 since most of SI voted for him. As for fare control, you could use turn styles or have people buy tickets and have "conductors" on the boat. The trip takes long enough where 4 or 5 "conductors could collect.

These mopes should know not to do petty crimes if they have warrants on them. Just pay the $2.25.

And if they are to cheap to pay then go back to Stapleton station and go walk 15+ min to St. George or what ever

Ok 3 things

1. Yeah I agree Staten Island should pay for their trains the same way we do. They're a part of New York City so they should be subject to NYC tariffs as we in the other four boroughs all are.

2. The ferry thing may be a little overboard...I agree with paying for the SIRR but the ferry would just be highway robbery. IIRC the Ferry is city owned so...there you go.

3. The hell they gonna go jumping the gates for? No lie I would support it IF THERE WAS REALLY A NEED for it, revolting for no reason is epic fail...they're just acting like spoiled brats. I wish the 4 line or the D was free. If they wanna act like they're exempt from NYC rules sell Staten Island to New Jersey or something and let them deal with it...we gotta pay, they gotta pay..so they can just suck it up and deal with it and stop being wannabe badasses.

there is a point $$$$. these ferrys dont drive or maintain themselves. same with sirr.

The Ferry is essentially just another "bridge" that the NYC DOT runs, like the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge and Queensboro Bridge. I believe the maintence and running costs yearly are roughly the same for the FErry as any one of those bridges.

It's a shame the they don't carry cars on the boats post-9/11 though. I bet the $4 toll they charged would be a help now.

Archived