Why is the (R) always so uncrowded?

ctrain

Let me give a few reasons why (W) is more crowded than (R) in Manhattan.

1. (W) uses R160, (R) uses R46. I and certainly most others would want to be on an NTT for the Broadway local run if available, and (W) gives us MTA's newest NTT. Also R46 are crap so people try to avoid them anyway possible.

2. (W) is more reliable than (R). People like myself realize that (R) has a 6min frequency during rush hour and (W) has a 10min frequency. With that higher frquency (R) has and a long route to back it up will come more hold ups and delays. People will wait a few minutes more for the (W) which is not as delay prone.

3. (R) line has lots of competition for riders on Queens Blvd line going into Manhattan whereas (W) does not have competition along Astoria Line. It and the (N) essentially share riders in Queens being that both are headed for the same Manhattan line.

4. In general NTT lines are WAY more crowded than their counterparts. Look at the seat chances each line scored in the SOTS report last year and compare the NTT lines to the other ones. You'll see the clear prefrence riders have for new trains.

@ the OP, I have NO idea what you're talking about. During the AM rush the (R) is always SRO or almost packed in Queens. IDK how it's like in Brooklyn during the rush but I've been on SRO-packed ®'s in Manhattan at the height of rush hour.

Let me give a few reasons why (W) is more crowded than (R) in Manhattan.

1. (W) uses R160, (R) uses R46. I and certainly most others would want to be on an NTT for the Broadway local run if available, and (W) gives us MTA's newest NTT. Also R46 are crap so people try to avoid them anyway possible.

2. (W) is more reliable than (R). People like myself realize that (R) has a 6min frequency during rush hour and (W) has a 10min frequency. With that higher frquency (R) has and a long route to back it up will come more hold ups and delays. People will wait a few minutes more for the (W) which is not as delay prone.

3. (R) line has lots of competition for riders on Queens Blvd line going into Manhattan whereas (W) does not have competition along Astoria Line. It and the (N) essentially share riders in Queens being that both are headed for the same Manhattan line.

4. In general NTT lines are WAY more crowded than their counterparts. Look at the seat chances each line scored in the SOTS report last year and compare the NTT lines to the other ones. You'll see the clear prefrence riders have for new trains.

1. Everyday riders are not stingy railfans. They do not 'avoid' the R46 nor do they have a significant enough preference to stop them from getting on a certain train. Also the everyday riders do not think the R46s are crap especially since they run on the lines out of Jamaica. When that yard used to be just R32s and R46s the average rider had a higher preference for the R46 than the R32 so they do not think these trains are crap.

2. People also don't wait for the (W) if an (R) is already there, if they have the option of taking either train. If the train comes later then you are going to arrive at your destination later. Your train will not magically pass the local train in front of you. More people may be headed towards Astoria going queensbound than Queens Blvd. locations.

3. That is a good point but that supports that the (R) IS more crowded than the (W) during rush hours.

4. Those lines aren't crowded solely because they use NTT's. In fact the NTT's were put on the lines with heavy overcrowding on the IRT because they had the wider doors and could accomodate crowding more properly. As for the B Division, lines like the (E) were just as crowded when R32s ran on the line. Lines that now use 60 footers when they used to use 75 footers may be more crowded but that is not because riders like the NTT's. It is because the NTT is their only choice of train to take.

The (R) is NOT the only route to be the most crowded. The crowd is mostly in the Midtown area, especially since the (R) passes thru the Shopping district.

As for the (W).. Well the (W) is a short route so it starts at Whitehall all the way up to Astoria so its empty since it just started. But during the RH it does get crowded!

Think of the (R) as the longest shuttle you've ever rode....

It has the Highest Passenger Turnover of Any line....Because people just use it to get To/From the Local stop To/From the Express....

Example Qns Bound (R)

Bay Ridge loads up the train - Dumps out at 59th for the (N) express

then fills up again at 53 and 45th streets - Dumps again at 36th for (D) and (N) express

Loads up again on 4 Av Local - Dumps again at Atlantic for (2)(3)(4)(5)(D)(N) Transfers

Loads up at Atlantic with Lower Manhattan Riders - Dumps out in lower Manhattan

Fills up in Lower Manhattan Stops - Dumps again at Canal for transfers to the (6)(N)(Q)

Fills up at Prince and 8 Street - Dumps again at 14th for transfers to (N)(Q) Express

Fills up at 14th Dumps at 23rd 28th

Fills up at 23rd 28th Dumps at 34th for (:P(D)(F)(V) - Loads up from the same lines

Dumps more at 42 - Picks up from All TSQ lines

Dumps more at 47th, 5 Av, Lex - Loads up at the same stops

Dumps more at Qns Plaza Transferring to the (E) express - Loads up from transferring (E) riders

Dumps more at local Astoria Stops -

Loads up again at Roosevelt from Transferring (E)(F)(7) riders to Local QB stops

Unloads Everyone at 71st end of the line

As you can see even though the (R) is very long...No One Takes it for more than a few stops to get To or From express trains.

1. ...They do not 'avoid' the R46 nor do they have a significant enough preference to stop them from getting on a certain train. Also the everyday riders do not think the R46s are crap especially since they run on the lines out of Jamaica. When that yard used to be just R32s and R46s the average rider had a higher preference for the R46 than the R32 so they do not think these trains are crap.

2. People also don't wait for the (W) if an (R) is already there, if they have the option of taking either train. If the train comes later then you are going to arrive at your destination later. Your train will not magically pass the local train in front of you. More people may be headed towards Astoria going queensbound than Queens Blvd. locations.

3. That is a good point but that supports that the (R) IS more crowded than the (W) during rush hours.

4. Those lines aren't crowded solely because they use NTT's. In fact the NTT's were put on the lines with heavy overcrowding on the IRT because they had the wider doors and could accomodate crowding more properly. As for the B Division, lines like the (E) were just as crowded when R32s ran on the line. Lines that now use 60 footers when they used to use 75 footers may be more crowded but that is not because riders like the NTT's. It is because the NTT is their only choice of train to take.

1 {and #4}) I was gonna point out this exact same point... the general riding public isn't turning away R46's for R160's; only railfans care about things like that.... the general riding public != (does not equal) railfans....

2) I actually agree that the W is more reliable than the R.... The W comes pretty much when you expect it.... the R, not so much.... Whenever I'm waiting for a Q, I'd say 9 times out of 10, W's arrive before R's do.... in either direction... for w/e the reason(s)....

this reason he gave in his point #2 isn't one why W's would be more crowded though.....

3) Yes, it is a good point... however, it's an apples & oranges comparison....

don't know why dude made a comparison of Astoria to Queens Blvd (local) riders to try to illustrate that the W is more crowded in Manhattan...

---

Now, my comments as far as the subject matter of the thread....

The W arrives @ more opportune times than the R does throughout the day... what I mean by that is, when crowds start to build up at (whatever) station, the W is usually the first to arrive to pickup a large amt. of the crowd... this crowd is often a mixture of Astoria riders & intra-manhattan riders.... meaning, w/e amt. of ppl. are left over are waiting for the R for QB local service....

Heading in the other direction (Brooklyn), the R isn't even the first option along Broadway (that goes to the Q, with the N right behind it)... don't underestimate the amt. of Q riders that disembark @ Dekalb to wait for other 4th av service...

and just b/c the R ®arely comes, don't think for a second that these trains are runnin empty... there are a considerable amt. of riders heading towards queens or towards brooklyn...

So it's not about choice of equipment/trainset, or other construed r/f-er reasons...

Archived