MTA Public Hearings

gregorygrice

Good Videos! I'm glad many people attended!

I think that the number of people who attended the SI hearing was at least triple the number who attended last time. I think that part of it was the Student MetroCards. (I would've attended anyway even if those weren't on the line). I guess also people are realizing that once the MTA cuts service, ridership will decrease and eventually, the MTA will cut to the point that those cuts might end up affecting them. The line to go in was pretty long. I don't think there was even a line last time.

Still, I thought that with all of those people, the hearings would've gone on much longer (I heard that the SI ended at midnight). When I spoke at 10PM, there were very few people still left.

The Staten Island Advance didn't mention anything about Student MetroCards. All of the people that were mentioned in the newspaper were people who spoke at 8PM. It's a shame, though. The reporters missed a great speech (mine) : )

Anyone here rowdy and out of control the Brooklyn meetings on the doomesday cuts turned last night (3/3/10)? Here NY1 link/video.

http://www.ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/top_stories/114608/mta-hearing-turns-rowdy-in-brooklyn

I they were mad and all, but they didn't have to act like that. This is why they rarely hold these meets is because of things like that. Its good to speak out but don't start mini riots...

I they were mad and all, but they didn't have to act like that. This is why they rarely hold these meets is because of things like that. Its good to speak out but don't start mini riots...

agreed. Since i no longer live in NYC and it's at least 90 minute metro north train/car ride to get to either White Plains or Suffern, from where i live i just decided to send via both email and US mail my testimony.

This morning watching Ch.2 Ch.7 and Ch.11 news the rowdy behavior/arrests overshaowded the brooklyn hearings itself.:P

Although the MTA has had its history of budget blunders and miss steps I think the media and public anger is mis directed. I think the anger and frustration at these cuts should be directed at the politicians who appoint the members to the MTA board like Mayor Bloomberg and Governor Patterson. I think the politicians in the city such as Vallone and Quinn have done a great job at the deflecting the blame away from the politicians onto the MTA board when we all know these are the people who year after year keep reducing the city and state contributions to the MTA.

Totally agreed, well said.

the city and state have been shortchanging the (MTA) for over 20 years. remember when pataki(spelling) cut lots of funding? thats why (MTA)has to pass the buck to the fares.

Yup, Fox 5 interviewed former Comptroller Thompson and he said that the bonds the MTA issued years ago have to be paid back now and with interest. And of course the tax base [Wall St.] and the real estate markets have all gone down, so there goes the source of revenue.

Pataki is to blame for funding cuts.

Some people here just thinks it's all the MTA's fault and ignores the fact the politicians have basically screwed the MTA and deserves as much, if not most, of the blame.

Yup, Fox 5 interviewed former Comptroller Thompson and he said that the bonds the MTA issued years ago have to be paid back now and with interest. And of course the tax base [Wall St.] and the real estate markets have all gone down, so there goes the source of revenue.

Some people here just thinks it's all the MTA's fault and ignores the fact the politicians have basically screwed the MTA and deserves as much, if not most, of the blame.

Pataki and the NY GOP did this so that can claim they lower taxes and give more back to the rich. Now we see the results 15-20 years later.

Although the MTA has had its history of budget blunders and miss steps I think the media and public anger is mis directed. I think the anger and frustration at these cuts should be directed at the politicians who appoint the members to the MTA board like Mayor Bloomberg and Governor Patterson. I think the politicians in the city such as Vallone and Quinn have done a great job at the deflecting the blame away from the politicians onto the MTA board when we all know these are the people who year after year keep reducing the city and state contributions to the MTA.

I blame the politicians. In fact, I did it earlier tonight at the Manhattan hearing. As I was leaving (around 8:30), Christine Quinn came in with her entourage. I shouted, "Speaker Quinn, tell [schools Chancellor] Joel Klein to pay for student MetroCards!"

This points out what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Your state politicians, and local politicos also, have cut funding to the (MTA) for years. This forced the agency to enter the bond market for funding. Now those bonds are coming due and MUST be paid off, with interest. The only way for the (MTA) to come up with the money for these bond payments is to cut service and payroll. There are some on the board who want to use some of the stimulus money to avert the most draconian cuts but it appears that chairman Walder has convinced most of the board to reject that option. He wants to use what money they have to purchase new rolling stock and buses and upgrade signal systems. I understand his point somewhat but I think that he and the (MTA) board make themselves look stupid by using that argument in this crisis. By what logic would the agency even think of purchasing new rolling stock when they, the (MTA), are calling for service cuts and outright elimination of subway and rail lines and bus runs across the region? Perhaps these new cars and buses are going to be parked somewhere for the duration of this crisis? By their own statements, with these cuts they're not even going to need all of the equipment they have now. I say it's better to use the stimulus $$$ now while its available. AND all of us eligible to vote this November open your eyes and see who, regardless of party, put you in this fix in the first place. While I have no particular love for my ertswhile employer,(MTA), remember that it was created in part to deflect blame from the politicians who fund and control it. This is your chance to make yourselves heard, Election Day, and not at the dog and pony hearings being put on now.

I thought it extended to next week. I guess I saw the "10"s in the date (the year), and thought there was one next Wed, the 10th.

Now I've missed the whole thing, and kept forgetting to watch it on TV as well.

I was going to speak and mention that it would be nice to have the (V) combo, but that it would more naturally fit at Church Av. And that they should consider putting the middle track as 72/2 back into the SAS plans to accommodate a new K to Met (If (F)(K)(V) could possibly be made to fit on the local track).

While I am not for people acting rowdy, I understand why they did. These cuts are affecting peoples lives here and this is a serious matter that will make getting out of and into the neighborhoods twice as hard than it already is. People are frustrated and they are angry and it just manifested itself in that manner in Brooklyn Wednesday. The (MTA) should look at that and see just how much they are hurting riders. Unfortunately, they probably won't and the cuts will probably still happen. Total bullshit to the highest degree.

This points out what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Your state politicians, and local politicos also, have cut funding to the (MTA) for years. This forced the agency to enter the bond market for funding. Now those bonds are coming due and MUST be paid off, with interest. The only way for the (MTA) to come up with the money for these bond payments is to cut service and payroll. There are some on the board who want to use some of the stimulus money to avert the most draconian cuts but it appears that chairman Walder has convinced most of the board to reject that option. He wants to use what money they have to purchase new rolling stock and buses and upgrade signal systems. I understand his point somewhat but I think that he and the (MTA) board make themselves look stupid by using that argument in this crisis. By what logic would the agency even think of purchasing new rolling stock when they, the (MTA), are calling for service cuts and outright elimination of subway and rail lines and bus runs across the region? Perhaps these new cars and buses are going to be parked somewhere for the duration of this crisis? By their own statements, with these cuts they're not even going to need all of the equipment they have now. I say it's better to use the stimulus $$$ now while its available. AND all of us eligible to vote this November open your eyes and see who, regardless of party, put you in this fix in the first place. While I have no particular love for my ertswhile employer,(MTA), remember that it was created in part to deflect blame from the politicians who fund and control it. This is your chance to make yourselves heard, Election Day, and not at the dog and pony hearings being put on now.

I totally agree with you 100%. I'm looking forward to November, I really am.

While I am not for people acting rowdy, I understand why they did. These cuts are affecting peoples lives here and this is a serious matter that will make getting out of and into the neighborhoods twice as hard than it already is. People are frustrated and they are angry and it just manifested itself in that manner in Brooklyn Wednesday. The (MTA) should look at that and see just how much they are hurting riders. Unfortunately, they probably won't and the cuts will probably still happen. Total bullshit to the highest degree.

I agree

I thought it extended to next week. I guess I saw the "10"s in the date (the year), and thought there was one next Wed, the 10th.

Now I've missed the whole thing, and kept forgetting to watch it on TV as well.

I was going to speak and mention that it would be nice to have the (V) combo, but that it would more naturally fit at Church Av. And that they should consider putting the middle track as 72/2 back into the SAS plans to accommodate a new K to Met (If (F)(K)(V) could possibly be made to fit on the local track).

Is there a station that broadcasts the whole thing? Also, is there a way I could get the full recording of the hearing, all 6 hours, from the MTA?

So what was the overall outcome of the whole thing? Particularly, how did people react to the most radical proposal, the (M)(V) combo? Were a lot of people against it? For it? Or was it all overshadowed by the drama, or just lumped in with "all the [other] cuts"?

I know when people are really against a particular cut, then it will be mentioned in almost every speech by the speakers. So if people did not single out the combo line, then it looks like it will really go through!

So what was the overall outcome of the whole thing? Particularly, how did people react to the most radical proposal, the (M)(V) combo? Were a lot of people against it? For it? Or was it all overshadowed by the drama, or just lumped in with "all the [other] cuts"?

I know when people are really against a particular cut, then it will be mentioned in almost every speech by the speakers. So if people did not single out the combo line, then it looks like it will really go through!

As far as the possible (M)(V) merger, it's maybe one of the very few service changes/cuts other than the merger of the B61/77 bus routes imo, in current doomesday proposal that makes sense that i endorse.:(

If this was better times, the (MTA) could have ran the (Z) renamed the (M) weekdays as Bway-Brooklyn/Williamsburg Local between Broadway Junction and Broad and extended to either Bay Parkway or 95th St/Bay Ridge rush hours.

Archived