The Q44

nel070

I don't mean to go off topic but didn't we have a thread about what an artic can and can't do? If I recall correctly, an artic can do any turn 40' footer can do (can someone please bring up the link to that thread)....

Now back to the matter at hand. The Q44 being split...I think its possible but is it the smart thing to do.

Hypothetically speaking, lets take Shondrae's idea for example to split it between West Farms & Jamaica. It it does happen then that means that Jamaica will either lose the few routews it has (maybe the Q17 to Stengel) or get extra bus from somewhere else. Also, it seems like nobody mentioned the Q20A/B not even once. Those 3 routes are interlined with each other so if you move one, the others have to go as well, resulting in more routes being shifted and more buses needed. Its just best to leave it the way it is now.

not really,,, you remember when the M101 & M103 was out of Manhattanville, But the M102 was out of Quill at the time!

yeah the M103 and M101 was Manhattanville at the time. i dont recall the M103 being in 126

well i think it was for a while the M103 bus is a block or 2 from the depot. Ill ask sum1 know who may know.

I think the Q44 should get assistance from somewhere, I've taken it everyday for the past 3.5 years, I've seen Jamaica handle the Q44 outside of school trippers (I've ridden JAM RTS's on the Q44 in the morning) but that's rare. I feel the Q44 should have artics, its always packed (I know artics aren't really meant for ridership) and on top of that Downtown Jamaica is already bus-logged so less buses would probably be better even though they're 60-feet. As far as Merrick & Archer through Main Street goes the artics should be okay since its on large streets, I never took it to Flushing so I don't know too much about that.

For the original question, I think the Q44 is too large to be out of one depot, whether it be split with WF & JAM, CS & JAM, CS & WF, or all three it needs some sort of split. A split might also be better for bus milage, WF is at the north end, JAM is at the south end, but CS is in the middle and has to deadhead (is that the correct term?) many miles to get to either end since its at the halfway-point of the route.

The problem is not the tight turns. The turns are a normal city block, in my opinion. It's the law that bus drivers must wait for pedestrians when making a turn is what makes going through Roosevelt Av so, so slow because the pedestrians usually never stop, signal or not. What is needed is better enforcement, and maybe a bus-only right-turn light. Lefts aren't such a big of a problem, pedestrian volume crossing Main is much less that crossing the side streets.

I think the Q44 should get assistance from somewhere, I've taken it everyday for the past 3.5 years, I've seen Jamaica handle the Q44 outside of school trippers (I've ridden JAM RTS's on the Q44 in the morning) but that's rare.

Highly doubt that!

Oh well, doubt it. :tup:

I think the Q44 should get assistance from somewhere, I've taken it everyday for the past 3.5 years, I've seen Jamaica handle the Q44 outside of school trippers (I've ridden JAM RTS's on the Q44 in the morning) but that's rare.

Highly doubt that!

do you know at one point the Q44 was split between Jamaica and CS and it wasnt school Trippers!?!?!?!? im just saying!

I don't even think West Farms can handle a major route like the Q44.

Well they already have major routes such as the Bx36...plus it's split so it's not like it has to handle the whole route.

Can Artics even handle the Queens streets? Specifically, the Q44's route?

Yes, artics can make the same turns (if not tighter) than a regular artic can. This has been discussed multiple times before.

Can you picture artics running through the streets of flushing........Traffic nightmare!!!

It's going to be the same way it is now...a few artics here and there isn't going to change the fact that there are dozen other buses in a one-block radius at any given time.

IMO the Q44 should be based out of WF and either CS or JAM (probably CS for depot capacity reasons). However, I forgot the fact that it's interlined with the Q20 and that complicates things.

Yes, artics can make the same turns (if not tighter) than a regular artic can. This has been discussed multiple times before.

Like I just said a few posts back...

I don't mean to go off topic but didn't we have a thread about what an artic can and can't do? If I recall correctly, an artic can do any turn 40' footer can do (can someone please bring up the link to that thread)....

Once upon a time (like back in 2004?) MTA NYCT and New Flyer was trying to hash out the order for MORE artics...that would have been numbered #5770-5835. With that, the following would be taken place:

5770-5792 (WF)

5793-5827 (CS)

5828-5835 (100th St)

Now with that in mind, in prepartion for this...SOME of the Q44 bus stops (especially in Jamaica) have moved OR been expanded to accommdate the artics. Yes, the Q44 WAS suppose to be an artic route (NOT SPLIT with WF). However, that artic order has fell through as we all know.

well i think it was for a while the M103 bus is a block or 2 from the depot. Ill ask sum1 know who may know.

The M103 NEVER ran out of 126th St. I asked someone who USE to work at 126th St. There was not enough buses for 126th St to operate the M103 along with (at THAT time), the M15, M31, M35, M57, M66, M116.

Oh and just so anyone was wondering, the M72 was operating out of MV (OR MJQ) at THAT time as well.

The problem is not the tight turns. The turns are a normal city block, in my opinion. It's the law that bus drivers must wait for pedestrians when making a turn is what makes going through Roosevelt Av so, so slow because the pedestrians usually never stop, signal or not. What is needed is better enforcement, and maybe a bus-only right-turn light. Lefts aren't such a big of a problem, pedestrian volume crossing Main is much less that crossing the side streets.

Not to mention cars that I notice along Main St in Flushing often take so long to make a right turn due to high pedestrian volume. However, these same drivers often take so long to turn without any pedestrians.

Once upon a time (like back in 2004?) MTA NYCT and New Flyer was trying to hash out the order for MORE artics...that would have been numbered #5770-5835. With that, the following would be taken place:

5770-5792 (WF)

5793-5827 (CS)

5828-5835 (100th St)

Now with that in mind, in prepartion for this...SOME of the Q44 bus stops (especially in Jamaica) have moved OR been expanded to accommdate the artics. Yes, the Q44 WAS suppose to be an artic route (NOT SPLIT with WF). However, that artic order has fell through as we all know.

I remember hearing Queens was getting Artics sometime ago, but i didnt know what route it was going to be on. Thanks for that additional info transitman. So if the MTA already had that in mind anyway case is closed on the issue can it be done.

It's going to be the same way it is now...a few artics here and there isn't going to change the fact that there are dozen other buses in a one-block radius at any given time.

IMO the Q44 should be based out of WF and either CS or JAM (probably CS for depot capacity reasons). However, I forgot the fact that it's interlined with the Q20 and that complicates things.

I was thinking since the Q44 runs quite a few trips between the Bronx and Flushing only then why not assign artics to these runs out of WF.

5770-5792 (WF)

5793-5827 (CS)

5828-5835 (100th St)

i absolutely remember that! CS was gonna get artics to run on the Q44. i do remember this! ok...

• 3 weeks later...

The law is ALL DRIVERS must yield the right of way to pedestrians, not just bus drivers.

All turns at Main St. and Roosevelt Ave. are tough, right or left. It doesn't matter how long your bus, truck , or limo is. Driving through Flushing is always going to be rough, until D.O.T. can redesign the streets.

A few facts about the Q44-

The correct name of the route is Q44/20. The Q20A and Q20B are actually just parts of the Q44, there are no separate runs for the Q20s, the schedules are all combined. So you are either doing a trip to the Bronx or just to College Point.

All current Q44/20 runs are out of Casey Stengel Depot,school trips excluded.

Jamaica Depot does do a lot of school trips on the 44, but all 3 Queens Depots share the school work on the Q17, 27, 31, 44/20, 58, 88, etc.

It is in fact a high-ridership line, with about 120 weekday runs. So no depot currently will be able to accommodate it, and nor would they want to.

Depots do borrow buses from one another once in awhile, but all responsibility for the Q44/20 is on Casey Stengel Depot, and we get the job done.

I don't think the (MTA) is looking to create more split lines between depots, they have other annoying plans up their sleeves.

Archived