Newbie from DC

Etoile

Hi everybody! I am a longtime railfan living in DC. Our metro system is great, but I really love the NYC subway system. I used to date somebody who lived in Midtown, so I got familiar with the subway around that area, but that was about it.

That the MTA keeps so many lines, trains, etc. running simultaneously is so amazing to me. WMATA's system is so easy compared to the MTA! And I love the history of the NYC subway, that it's been around long enough to have "discoveries" - that is, in DC, everything is recent and known, but in NYC you have the 1912 discovery of the Beach Pneumatic tube, the 1980 discovery of Atlantic Ave Tunnel, etc.

And I love the freedom NYC riders have. In DC, you cannot eat or drink on the train...in NYC, there are newsstands selling food IN the stations! And although it's nice not to be panhandled on your morning commute here in DC, I love that the character of the NYC subway allows for it.

As for me, I am a student at Gallaudet University here in DC, and I've lived in the DC area my whole life. I'm 29 and I've been married for 12 years (legally for 1 year thanks to CT). If I could live anywhere in the world it would be Hawaii or New York City. So that's me! :P

Welcome aboard, WMATA/(MTA) Fan Etoile!!

My friend and me (2) of us went to DC for 1-day visit during Pre-Blizzard on Friday, February 5th, 2010!!

Our 11:59pm Mega Bus out of DC was cancel, so nice dispatcher let us on 5:30pm bus.

You were lucky to get out of here just in time! Most businesses, schools, and the government closed early on that Friday. I was snowed in for 10 days after that!!

Welcome to the board i like those Flyer LFRs you have down there :tup:

I would say thanks, but I don't ever ride the bus systems around here! One of the perils of living in the suburbs is I take my car everywhere, unless I can take Metro (rail).

Hi everybody! I am a longtime railfan living in DC. Our metro system is great, but I really love the NYC subway system. I used to date somebody who lived in Midtown, so I got familiar with the subway around that area, but that was about it.

That the MTA keeps so many lines, trains, etc. running simultaneously is so amazing to me. WMATA's system is so easy compared to the MTA! And I love the history of the NYC subway, that it's been around long enough to have "discoveries" - that is, in DC, everything is recent and known, but in NYC you have the 1912 discovery of the Beach Pneumatic tube, the 1980 discovery of Atlantic Ave Tunnel, etc.

And I love the freedom NYC riders have. In DC, you cannot eat or drink on the train...in NYC, there are newsstands selling food IN the stations! And although it's nice not to be panhandled on your morning commute here in DC, I love that the character of the NYC subway allows for it.

Welcome aboard. I'm a New Yorker but I love the Washington DC Metro. It is one of the top systems in the world. Stations are ornate and clean. Trains have cushioned seats. Since the DC Metro bans eating and drinking, there are hardly any rats. Enjoy your stay at NYCTF.

Archived