BMT vs IRT/IND

6 Lexington Ave

I prefer BMT and IND because of the larger subway cars, tunnels and stations. IRT lines are too crowded, much of it due to the smaller size of the subway cars. Plus, there's more variety when it comes to rail-fanning the BMT lines. You get trains that run underground, above major streets, above alleyways (Chicago-style) on the (L) and (M) lines, at-grade, as well as on railroad-style right-of-ways ((L), (N) and (:P/(Q) lines in Brooklyn). With the IRT, except for the (5) between Dyre and East 180th, all you get are trains running underground or above major streets. OK, the (4) runs on a embankment alongside Concourse Yard and the Bedford Park Boulevard station is on that embankment, but it's just that one station and the tracks rejoin Jerome Avenue just south of the station.

BMT/IND

-I love the design, width and lenght of the cars used on those two divisions.

-I love the scenery when it comes to those two divisions (espicially the scenery on the (Q) and (F) routes, not to mention the (Q) is my home line (Church Av))

-Also becuase BMT/IND routes are the only routes that travel to Coney Island.

Shouldn't this question be "What's better, the IRT or BMT/IND?" To answer, I am a BMT/IND Fan, and my favorite lines are the (A)(:P(N) and (Q).

The (A) because of their unique R-44 subway cars, (best 75 footers ever)

The (:o because of the ride from Brooklyn to Central Park, and their R68As.

The (N) with their Astoria-Coney Island route and the R-160s..

The (Q) with their R68/A and R-160 cars.

Title doesn't make much sense it should be "BMT va. IRT vs. IND"

but what ever..

Im an IRT fan! Redbirds bring in the FLAVA! On the (2)(5) AND (7)!!

WHITE PLAINZ ROADZ all day!

I also Love the <5> Express runs from 180th to Gun Hill/WPR at times!

I'm in love with all of the IRT. The best one is the (5), of course. All 7 lines (8 including the 42 nd Street (S)) have their own personalities outside of Mid-town Manhattan. For instance the (1) in Western neighborhoods of Manhattan and the Bronx and the (6) in the eastern neighborhoods in the Bronx All of the BMT/ IND lines either share most of their route with another line, or they have a short stub for themselves, such as the (A) after Euclid Ave in Queens or the (F) in Jamaica.

But BMT and IND are basically the same, aren't they?

Yes just platform lengths makes it different, plus IRT(A division) is number route and IND/BMT(B Div including SIRTOA) is letter routes. Also the car light and platforms widths are different too.

So maybe it should be BMT/IND vs IRT. Now unless you mean BMT based routes, IRT based routes and IND based routes then its good like that. IRT and IND are different, not the same. :P

Yes just platform lengths makes it different, plus IRT(A division) is number route and IND/BMT(B Div including SIRTOA) is letter routes. Also the car light and platforms widths are different too.

SIRT is not included as a part of the IND in any way. Not only do they not use route letters, but they are a whole different company under the MTA.

SIR is considered a railroad, and equipment has to be modified to fit railroad standards. It is a slightly different type of railroad, though.

Yes, what I am saying though is that it is not part of B Div. in ANY way like Mark was trying to say.

But BMT and IND are basically the same, aren't they?

Not really. Note how the BMT has sharper curves than the IND which have smoother curves. Also most BMT stations have artistic mosaics on the wall while the IND has plain simple wall tile. Also, most IND stations have mezzanines for the whole length of the station.

Yes, what I am saying though is that it is not part of B Div. in ANY way like Mark was trying to say.

Ok....

But i thought it does fall under the B div anyways since they use the same car fleet but diff..

R44 and future R46/R179 MUE

Ok....

But i thought it does fall under the B div anyways since they use the same car fleet but diff..

R44 and future R46/R179 MUE

Ok you thought wrong though. SIRT is a different operation. Thats like saying LIRR and MNCRR are the same because they used FL9s.

Archived