R160B Testing On The (B) (Again)

Why is it a surprise that Concourse rejected R160s? The R68/A are the most reliable fleet in the system so there's no point for them to get newer cars. They also have a uniform fleet which reduces operating costs. They would not run R160s just to please the whims of a few railfans.

Agreed 100%.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is it a surprise that Concourse rejected R160s? The R68/A are the most reliable fleet in the system so there's no point for them to get newer cars. They also have a uniform fleet which reduces operating costs. They would not run R160s just to please the whims of a few railfans.

True about they're the most reliable,but they can care less about us railfans they want what's best for there line & customers.I mean I really want them on just one of the 2 the B or D one b\c it's a new train I like new things I always want to be updated technology has come a long way(calendars from BC to present stuff now IPads).But the (D) sways a bit 2much and the Hippos are slow I don't see why Concourse rejected em.If CIY+Av X accepted em (D),(N),(F),(:(,(Q) y not Concourse (B)/(Q),its like Jamaica you got 160's on the (E),(F),(R).

Why is it a surprise that an R160 is testing on the (:( if Concourse rejected it already? If (MTA) had no intentions of testing on the (B) line, then why would they do it. It's not like its going up for a car wash. I've seen plenty of R160s on Concourse to get a car wash and NOT ONE OF THEM STOPPED AND OPENED ITS DOORS on the opposite side. I'm not saying that R160s will be on the (B), but theres probably a logical reason why (MTA) is doing this.

Why is it a surprise that an R160 is testing on the (:( if Concourse rejected it already? If (MTA) had no intentions of testing on the (B) line, then why would they do it. It's not like its going up for a car wash. I've seen plenty of R160s on Concourse to get a car wash and NOT ONE OF THEM STOPPED AND OPENED ITS DOORS on the opposite side. I'm not saying that R160s will be on the (B), but theres probably a logical reason why (MTA) is doing this.

the (B) is based out of Coney Island not Concourse.

Is it true that the (:( and (Q) share trains (at least some of them)? Because if they do, then this seems plausible as Coney Island will most likely move their R32s away and since the Brighton Rehab project is going on, it needs 2 to 3 extra sets.

Is it true that the (:( and (Q) share trains (at least some of them)? Because if they do, then this seems plausible as Coney Island will most likely move their R32s away and since the Brighton Rehab project is going on, it needs 2 to 3 extra sets.

SOME of them.

Keyword-SOME.

There we go. Seems very reasonable as Coney Island doesn't seem to want to hold onto their R32s anymore. We'll probably see an R160 (:( in the future.

Why did they take the R32 in the first place if they have enough trains so that they can afford not to use the R32?

Why did they take the R32 in the first place if they have enough trains so that they can afford not to use the R32?

Exactly. Jamaica coughed up that R32 for extra service for the rehab, as well as in the instance where an R160/R68/A (Q) or an R68/A (:( can't make service and the R32 set would be used instead.

CIY has the (:((N)(Q)(W)(S)...not (D)(F).

Concourse has the (D)...not (B)(Q).

I'm sure I put +Av X asthe yard (F) that's why the (F) was included.I included the (D) b\c sometimes they layup in the yard.Now Concourse I know has the (D) I must have put (Q) by mistake I say the (B) is Concourse b\c they layup there the (B)/(D) and sometimes the (4) as well.

I'm sure I put +Av X asthe yard (F) that's why the (F) was included.I included the (D) b\c sometimes they layup in the yard.Now Concourse I know has the (D) I must have put (Q) by mistake I say the (:( is Concourse b\c they layup there the (B)/(D) and sometimes the (4) as well.

1. True, but Av X isn't really a yard, it's just a lay-up place.

2. Lay-ups typically don't count as "based out of this yard", although I agree.

3. Oh, I see.

1. True, but Av X isn't really a yard, it's just a lay-up place.

2. Lay-ups typically don't count as "based out of this yard", although I agree.

3. Oh, I see.

Ok I consider Av X a yard b\c its a decent size its not like the Continental layup.Lay-ups I consider a place where trains go beyond there terminal switching to the oppsoite track ready to go like the (D)-205th or the (C).

Ok I consider Av X a yard b\c its a decent size its not like the Continental layup.Lay-ups I consider a place where trains go beyond there terminal switching to the oppsoite track ready to go like the (D)-205th or the (C).

Oh...because I considered a tiny yard (like 174 Street, Av X, Church Av, etc.) to be lay-ups too.

Avenue X is technically a yard but it's all apart of the Coney Island Complex...i don't know if the R46s and R160s from the (F), or even the (G), ever get serviced at the yard other than for SMS, but the tracks for Avenue X is basically holding space for the (F)/(G) during non-rush hours.

I Think I know why they are testing the R160's on the (:( more, I think it has to do with the (Q) riders, Rerember they hate the R160's for their own personal reasons, It would Be Smart to put them on the (B) REASON: the (B) has 2 Terminals, Rush Hours it goes to Bedford Pk Blvd and other times it goes to 145th, By using R160's, It will Improve the (B) and save time on changing rollsigns, Right Now the (B) is a Hell Hole.

And on the Car Equipment part

Car Assignments are a Mess Right Now, 207th does not need anymore R32's, Jamaica is going to need them if Pitkin is taking Jamica's R46's and I did heard that the R32's will only be for extra (R) service (Subject to Change), 207th is giving away 20 anyway and the R32's are not retiring right now so its possible to see them somewhere on a different line. We Just Need to wait and see what is going to happen

I thought the same thing. But although, if the R160s does go on the (B), they wont put much as the (B) is only a line that runs till 11PM. Looks like there may be more sharing of equipment, but we'll see.

I thought the same thing. But although, if the R160s does go on the (:(, they wont put much as the (B) is only a line that runs till 11PM. Looks like there may be more sharing of equipment, but we'll see.

Wow jus learned something new I didn't noe the (B) ended at 11pm weekdays.I thought it started around 5-5:30am and ended like 8:30pm interesting.

Actually, as part of the 2008 service improvement plan, the (:( was going to be extended so that DeKalb Avenue would be served until 11:00pm. They compromised and the final (B) southbound leaves at 10:08pm while the final northbound (B) leaves at 9:56pm for the evening. The final Concourse (B) southbound leaves at 6:37pm while the final Concourse (B) northbound leaves at 5:57pm for the evening however.

Still, the (B) does reach Brighton Beach at 11:07pm and does reach 145th Street at 10:55pm.

I thought the same thing. But although, if the R160s does go on the (:(, they wont put much as the (B) is only a line that runs till 11PM. Looks like there may be more sharing of equipment, but we'll see.

There was a plan for the (B)/(Q) to share Equipment both R68/A's and R160's and the R32 if its still there.

I meant 2-3 sets of 68's and 6-8 sets of 160 W.Ok 30min span on the Astoria line is not enough it takes roughly 30min for the (W) to get from Astoria to Whitehall some may even went to Kings Hwy.Its like the (A) they have all the 46's going in one direction back2back.

Ok fine then, but like I said, it is still a small number of R68s heading to Astoria in general. That is likely not going to change when the Q starts running there replacing the W.

Based off this, will the (G) remain all 4 car R46s once it moves to CI? Will the glut of R46's from the (V) be used on the (G) or elsewhere?

I ride the (Q)/(W) everyday, and I have not seen a R68 on the (W) line in years.

Can't say for sure. I can only speclate the R46s will go to the (A) to prepare for the mothballing [temporary retirement] of the R44s. If the (G) is to be based at CI, it would have to be R68s or R160s. I know the F uses Av X as a storage/layup yard, but those cars still belongs to Jamaica yard.* [Correct me if wrong.]

See, I keep saying that it is very rare to see R68s on the (W). It is a fact they [Astoria-Ditmars] wants both lines 98-99% R160s so that they don't need to change the rollsigns manually. That's why the Q still has a number of R68/As.

I Think I know why they are testing the R160's on the (:( more, I think it has to do with the (Q) riders, Rerember they hate the R160's for their own personal reasons, It would Be Smart to put them on the (B) REASON: the (B) has 2 Terminals, Rush Hours it goes to Bedford Pk Blvd and other times it goes to 145th, By using R160's, It will Improve the (B) and save time on changing rollsigns, Right Now the (B) is a Hell Hole.

And on the Car Equipment part

Car Assignments are a Mess Right Now, 207th does not need anymore R32's, Jamaica is going to need them if Pitkin is taking Jamica's R46's and I did heard that the R32's will only be for extra (R) service (Subject to Change), 207th is giving away 20 anyway and the R32's are not retiring right now so its possible to see them somewhere on a different line. We Just Need to wait and see what is going to happen

But again, what sense does it make to send back the R32 set to JYD? It looks to me they want R160s on all the lines. And if ENY is getting their 8-car R160s, they don't need the R32s either. That leaves only the (A)/© lines left and the (C) could use them as spares if some R32 cars are beyond saving. This is why I think 207th/Pitkin makes more sense.

Makes sense since the plan seems to be R32 Brightliners on the (C) and R44s/R46s on the (A). While anything is possible, the R68/R68As seem to be doing okay on the (:( and (D) and they're only twenty-four years old. The (F) has some R160s and the new (M) will add some more R160s, so its' not like Sixth Avenue doesn't have some new cars.

This R160 that's been spotted on the (B)/(D) line - possibly it's testing like the R160s that tested on the (A) line - remember those?

Archived