R160B Testing On The (B) (Again)

I was on the train Thursday and while getting off the (C) At W 4th Street I saw a not in service I believe it was in the 88xx series signed up on the (:P with the door open on the opposite side. I couldn't take a photo because when I took my camera out, it was already leaving.

So my question is the (B) getting any R160s? Would this happen because of the (W) Train being eliminated and due to the Brighton Line project? I'll be upset because the (B)(D) is fine with R68/R68As.

If anyone has more info that will be helpful.

Daniel

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was on the train Thursday and while getting off the (C) At W 4th Street I saw a not in service I believe it was in the 88xx series signed up on the (B) with the door open on the opposite side. I couldn't take a photo because when I took my camera out, it was already leaving.

So my question is the (B) getting any R160s? Would this happen because of the (W) Train being eliminated and due to the Brighton Line project? I'll be upset because the (B)(D) is fine with R68/R68As.

Daniel

idk...but interesting where will those (W)'s go...:P

It's just testing. I don't think there's any plans for the (:P to get R160s. The displaced sets from the (W) will go to the (N) and (Q), which will both need extra trainsets when the (W) is gone.

So essentially they are making a whole big deal about getting rid of the Broadway local (W), but will then simply move those cars to the (N), which will be the new Boradway local-ish, and the (Q), also on Broadway. They will still need more crews for these extra train sets, and will be out millions of dollars with all of the replacement signs and announcements they will need to make. What a waste! :mad:

It's just testing. I don't think there's any plans for the (:P to get R160s. The displaced sets from the (W) will go to the (N) and (Q), which will both need extra trainsets when the (W) is gone.

So then why are they testing?

I was on the train Thursday and while getting off the (C) At W 4th Street I saw a not in service I believe it was in the 88xx series signed up on the (:P with the door open on the opposite side. I couldn't take a photo because when I took my camera out, it was already leaving.

Daniel

Correction,you could have taken the photo if you weren't foaming to death.Since you saw it leaving you had to hear the propulsion what was it a Siemens or Alstom?

The (B) may get one or two sets of temporary R160's b\c of the Yankee Game Specials 2nd Av to Bedford or Norwood.There may be a (D) 160 also but we'll see.Nice sighting.

Well I'm sure there will be extra sets of R160's once those cars go to the (N) & (Q) not a lot but a few sets so maybe those few sets will run on the (B).That's probably the reason for testing.

Well I'm sure there will be extra sets of R160's once those cars go to the (N) & (Q) not a lot but a few sets so maybe those few sets will run on the (;).That's probably the reason for testing.

I really doubt the B will get the R160s because the (Q) will be replacing the (W). And since the (Q) and (N) shares the terminal, they need R160s there so they can easily change a train to suit the demands of either line compared to the time consuming manual sign changes.

The (W) has 12-13 sets of R160,not 10. When the (W) goes bye-bye about 4-5 sets will go on the (Q) for the astoria extension,about 2-3 sets will go on the (N) for Bway Lcl. You'll still have 4-5 sets leftover,they can put them on the (;),but if they do that then where will the (:) R68 gonna go? They have to stay at CIY,so what they would do is send the CIY (W) R160 to JYD and bump JYD R46 to Pitkin or 207 to the (A)(C). With that,they have they can go on the (R) or (G).

The (W) has 12-13 sets of R160,not 10. When the (W) goes bye-bye about 4-5 sets will go on the (Q) for the astoria extension,about 2-3 sets will go on the (N) for Bway Lcl. You'll still have 4-5 sets leftover,they can put them on the (;),but if they do that then where will the (:) R68 gonna go? They have to stay at CIY,so what they would do is send the CIY (W) R160 to JYD and bump JYD R46 to Pitkin or 207 to the (A)(C). With that,they have they can go on the (R) or (G).

Exactly my point the B/Q share 68's and yes there will be extra sets that's y I said that was the reason for the testing.But that doesn't mean the B will get 160's but its a possibility for extra service on Yankee Game days.Just like how the B/Q share that 32 set but the B has it most of the time its like that situation 160 Q can easily turn in2 a B I mean we had a R160 (D) a few times.

The (W) has 12-13 sets of R160,not 10. When the (W) goes bye-bye about 4-5 sets will go on the (Q) for the astoria extension,about 2-3 sets will go on the (N) for Bway Lcl. You'll still have 4-5 sets leftover,they can put them on the (B),but if they do that then where will the (B) R68 gonna go? They have to stay at CIY,so what they would do is send the CIY (W) R160 to JYD and bump JYD R46 to Pitkin or 207 to the (A)(C). With that,they have they can go on the (R) or (G).

Ok then, but that brings us back to the point the (N)/(Q) will likely take all the R160s because of flexibility [as I stated above] at Astoria-Ditmars. So now the (Q) will likley take the rest of the R160s from the (W) and then leave a few R68/A sets for the (B) or whatever lines need them. I personally would like it if the G was transfered to CI and they make the G R68s. That would be a good line to send the excess R68s to.

So then why are they testing?

They can test to see if the cars can run on the line, which doesn't necessarily mean they are going to the (B) line. Just because a train tests on a certain line doesn't mean that line will get the cars. The R160s regularly test out in the Rockaways, but that doesn't mean the (A) is getting R160s. The R143s used to frequently test on the Culver line but the (F) isn't running R143s right now.

Correction,you could have taken the photo if you weren't foaming to death.Since you saw it leaving you had to hear the propulsion what was it a Siemens or Alstom?

The (B) may get one or two sets of temporary R160's b\c of the Yankee Game Specials 2nd Av to Bedford or Norwood.There may be a (D) 160 also but we'll see.Nice sighting.

Why would it matter if it was a Siemens or Alstom set?

The (W) has 12-13 sets of R160,not 10. When the (W) goes bye-bye about 4-5 sets will go on the (Q) for the astoria extension,about 2-3 sets will go on the (N) for Bway Lcl. You'll still have 4-5 sets leftover,they can put them on the (B),but if they do that then where will the (B) R68 gonna go? They have to stay at CIY,so what they would do is send the CIY (W) R160 to JYD and bump JYD R46 to Pitkin or 207 to the (A)(C). With that,they have they can go on the (R) or (G).

Yes, the (W) does run 10 trains and not 12-13. The route is only 40 minutes end to end, and then there's layover time at each terminal. When every other (Q) gets extended to Astoria at 10-12 minute headways then that's a 20 minute extension to Astoria. That's gonna require ~4 trains, and then the (N) will run local, requiring at least another 2 trains. Also if there is any extras, the whole point of service cuts is to reduce the size of the fleet. They could send some R160s over to Jamaica, but they would probably displace R46s to Pitkin to retire more trains. It's still too early to tell what exactly will happen.

Exactly my point the B/Q share 68's and yes there will be extra sets that's y I said that was the reason for the testing.But that doesn't mean the B will get 160's but its a possibility for extra service on Yankee Game days.Just like how the B/Q share that 32 set but the B has it most of the time its like that situation 160 Q can easily turn in2 a B I mean we had a R160 (D) a few times.

The (Q) has only run that R32 set 2-3 times. The other times when that R32 rarely runs it's been on the (B). Also, the majority of times an R160 has been seen on the (D) it's been a rerouted (N) with the signs changed so as not to confuse passengers.

Wait,it matters what propulsion to to know what line that train was from there has been Siemens D and Alstom D I caught the Alstom #9888.Now that R32 (B) your wrong about it rarely runs b\c that runs almost every weekday it may NOT RUN ALL DAY but it does a a round trip or so during the rush hrs you have to just be lucky.

Wait,it matters what propulsion to to know what line that train was from there has been Siemens D and Alstom D I caught the Alstom #9888.Now that R32 (B) your wrong about it rarely runs b\c that runs almost every weekday it may NOT RUN ALL DAY but it does a a round trip or so during the rush hrs you have to just be lucky.

If it tested on the (B) then it was most likely out of CI Yard, so the propulsion would not matter since CI has both types of propulsion. Also the R32 (B) runs rarely compared to the other R68s that run on the (B) which is what I was trying to say.

If it tested on the (B) then it was most likely out of CI Yard, so the propulsion would not matter since CI has both types of propulsion. Also the R32 (B) runs rarely compared to the other R68s that run on the (B) which is what I was trying to say.

Ok right but the 32 (B) runs almost everyday it's just spotted rare but it runs.Its like saying 68A's on the (D) run but are spotted rarely.I getcha point.

#9888 is not R160A. #9888 IS R160b. Built by Kawasaki. If I misunderstanding R160 #9888 - #9892 are using Alstom Transaction? I thought R160 be testing on the B line for providing extra service for Rush Hours.

I'm not understanding who said 9888-9892 wasn't a R160B-2? Yes it was that's y I stated Alstom.The B has that 32 set for rush hrs as an extra set.Butttttt an 160 or 2 may appear on the B or D(Yankee Specials as I said b4 2nd Av-Bedford or Norwood.)

Okay, Im am just going to say this:

There are 3 Options to this:

1. Send the 10 Car R32 with 6 Trainsets of R160A-2's (8653-8712) for Jamaica service.

2. Jamaica sends all of their R32's to CI to knock off some R160's mostly 10 trainsets.

3. Just send Jamaica the leftover R160's.

I go with Option 3.

Just for the record. the 10 car R32's WILL BE LEAVING CI (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

And Kris that R32 ran on the (Q) more than 3 times, The last time it ran on the (Q) was 2-3 weeks ago. They only run it on the (Q) once a month and when the R32 runs on the (Q) AM rush Hours only, PM Rush Hour an R68 pops up on the (N).

Okay, Im am just going to say this:

There are 3 Options to this:

1. Send the 10 Car R32 with 6 Trainsets of R160A-2's (8653-8712) for Jamaica service.

2. Jamaica sends all of their R32's to CI to knock off some R160's mostly 10 trainsets.

3. Just send Jamaica the leftover R160's.

I go with Option 3.

Just for the record. the 10 car R32's WILL BE LEAVING CI (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

And Kris that R32 ran on the (Q) more than 3 times, The last time it ran on the (Q) was 2-3 weeks ago. They only run it on the (Q) once a month and when the R32 runs on the (Q) AM rush Hours only, PM Rush Hour an R68 pops up on the (N).

How about option 4: send the CI R32 to Pitkin or 207th yard for the A or C lines in place of an R46.

Again, the Q needs to be a majority of R160s because of Astoria-Ditmars. And if the G was assigned to CI, the G could be R68s and R160s and that would solve most of the issues about what to do with the excess trains.

Archived