Get rid of SIR name?

Robert Bosco

That's understood, but "Sub" does mean under, yet a lot of subway lines run above ground.

It has the name "subway" because it was born underground in 1904. That's where the name came from and has stood as the name until now. The IRT subway was the first subway. By the time they unified the system the whole entire system became known as the subway.

SIR used to have Several Names. Until the mid to late 80s, it was known as:

SIRTOA- Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority

then changed to:

SIRT- Staten Island Rapid Transit

Now:

SIR- (MTA) Staten Island Railway

I always thought the letter "I" would fit the SIR, or just a Blue (S). SIR is a Heavy Rail Passenger Train running on a FREIGHT Line. Its not a subway, nor will it ever be, even though its running R44s, its a Railway.

-PATH is a Commuter Line, right?

It has the name "subway" because it was born underground in 1904. That's where the name came from and has stood as the name until now. The IRT subway was the first subway. By the time they unified the system the whole entire system became known as the subway.

Makes perfect sense to me.

IAWTP.

The SIR isn't under the New York City Subway which is why it wouldn't work anyway.

There have been plans to merge the SIR with New York City Transit to create MTA Subways. The MTA Bus Company would be merged with Long Island Bus and NYCT buses to be the new MTA Bus Company.

I don't know wehat the status of those plans are though.

Just remember, the Staten Island Railway is a railroad. It would be wrong to label it a subway. I wouldn't mind changing it to the SIRR (Staten Island Railroad). B)

Since "railroad" is one word, I say it should remain as SIR.

For that matter, Metro-North should be labeled MNR, and Long Island Railroad as LIR.

Since "railroad" is one word, I say it should remain as SIR.

For that matter, Metro-North should be labeled MNR, and Long Island Railroad as LIR.

The MTA spells them:

Metro-North Railroad - MNR

Long Island Rail Road - LIRR

When I created the forum home icons I was thinking of spelling it Long Island Rail Road but decided to go with Railroad because it easier.

• 1 month later...
That's why I say, "I'm catching the train".......You can't get on the subway, or be hit by the subway, but the train you can get on and be hit by.

I usually say i'm getting the (E) train, and i never refer to the rail cars as subway, as subway is the rail system, not the equipment. :)

- Andy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Do you argree: I think that the (MTA) should drop the whole SIR name, and assign a letter, like the P train or something, and make the SIR just another line in the subway system. As well, they should cover up the (NYCT) logo on the cars with the same (MTA) New York City Subway logo.

I don't agree. I think the staten island railway should stay the same. But the SIR should still be renamed to a letter route line like ethier K or H or P or U or X or Y

I don't agree. I think the staten island railway should stay the same. But the SIR should still be renamed to a letter route line like ethier K or H or P or U or X or Y
Agreed, though if I were them I would just give it a blue (S)