Sorry, SIR: No new cars for Staten Island Railway

Sea Beach

• 3 weeks later...

If someone can correct me, the shoe is not compatible to run on SIR third rail

Plus the volts, SIR runs 600, LIRR M3 runs 750. You have to modified eletrical systems, plus build new substation for M3s.

They dont need to build a new substation for this. The trains themselves would be modified for 600 Volts if this were even going to happen which it wont...

• 3 weeks later...

If the SIR does get the R46's, it will have 64 cars again which is enough to make 16 trains since the SIR uses 4-cars even though it sometimes uses 5 during the morning rush hour.
If SIR gets the R46s, they really should not split them up and leave them in sets. Or give SIR the AA pairs so late nights they can run 2-car trains. I understand it'll kill flexibility, but the NYCT sets should not be running as single units imo.

If SIR gets the R46s, they really should not split them up and leave them in sets. Or give SIR the AA pairs so late nights they can run 2-car trains. I understand it'll kill flexibility, but the NYCT sets should not be running as single units imo.

I agree with you there.

• 1 year later...

Those "new" overhauled R44 car sets look fine, rode 'em during '03 and '05 visits, have a few more years left.

The original, 1925 B&O rattan, pullover seat cars ran reliably until 1972, were not very pretty but were sturdy, dependable old warhorses, rode them late '40s til 1957 when we moved to NM.

BTW, M-3s are commuter coaches, not meant for rapid transit heavy rail SIR service. LIRR cars were used toward the end of SIRT service because nothing else was available or quickly adaptable.

• 3 weeks later...

Goji...freight service on now-isolated SIR Tottenville line ended years ago. The AK liftbridge to Jersey was re-activated. CSX runs trash trains from Fresh Kills , containers from Howland Hook Container Terminal, use the rebuilt Arlington yard on their way off-Island. Old North Shore SIRT tracks are abandoned/gone from South Avenue to St. George.

Apparently, FRA standards on SIR, no longer needed, ended in 1988.

Another MTA study is looking at running North Shore light rail with a Bayonne Bridge connection to HBLR.

Archived