NYC Woman Sues Starbucks Over Too-Hot Tea

Daily News

NYC Woman Sues Starbucks Over Too-Hot Tea

Reuters

Tuesday May 4, 2010 2:01 PM

Starbucks Corp. has been sued by a customer who allegedly suffered second-degree burns after being served tea that was too hot.

According to the complaint, the plaintiff, Zeynep Inanli, was served tea that was "unreasonably hot" in containers which were "not safe" at a Starbucks store at 685 Third Avenue in Manhattan.

As a result of Starbucks' negligence, the plaintiff suffered "great physical pain, and mental anguish", including the burns, the complaint said.

The plaintiff seeks unspecified damages. Starbucks, based in Seattle, did not immediately return requests for comment.

The plaintiff's lawyer did not immediately return a call for comment. Retailers periodically face lawsuits for serving beverages at temperatures that customers say are too high.

In one well-known case, a jury in 1994 ordered McDonald's Corp. to pay $2.86 million to Stella Liebeck, an Albuquerque, New Mexico woman who claimed she scalded herself with the restaurant's coffee.

A sack of bulls*** if you ask me. There's a f***ing warning label on your coffee/tea/espresso/cappuccino, etc. that tells you it's hot.

It's her fault that she didn't tell them to make the tea "not so hot", not Starbucks. They're just doing their job.

Last time I checked, tea is supposed to be hot. The economy must be bad since people are coming up with these frivolous lawsuits.

Well there is iced tea as well :(

Still she has no right to gripe. She asked for [hot] tea and she got it. It's her fault not telling the cashier to give her "not so hot" tea.

It's not gonna fly! This is the reason Bush wanted to change the Tort Law anyway! Everyone wants to sue for a dollar! I would bet my life that more than half of the cases like this are scams!

Does anyone remember when a lady tried this at McDonald's some time back? That's why I say it won't fly. She did it and won, and after that there was this big thing about it. It's already been done!

Does anyone remember when a lady tried this at McDonald's some time back? That's why I say it won't fly. She did it and won, and after that there was this big thing about it. It's already been done!

She wont win this because starbucks actually have warnings on their cups that the contents are hot. She was warned, but she didn't care. Unless the court is related to her, she is not winning this case!

She wont win this because starbucks actually have warnings on their cups that the contents are hot. She was warned, but she didn't care. Unless the court is related to her, she is not winning this case!

There you go. And plus, when she was handed the cup, she could've have felt it was hot just by touching the bottom or side. A smart person would know NOT to drink the thing until its cooler.

There you go. And plus, when she was handed the cup, she could've have felt it was hot just by touching the bottom or side. A smart person would know NOT to drink the thing until its cooler.

But an AMERICAN will go right in and drink it because "what could possibly go wrong" :cool:

That's his or her problem. Can't sue anyone for stupid mistakes that they themselves did.

Wanna bet? I'm suing you because the mad face thingy didn't work : mad: lol thats what we do :(

The U.S. is in an economy and it seems like some people would do anything for money. I wonder if she ever heard of blowing on hot food before consuming it. Only in America do people sue for the most ridiculous things!

That's why some people support tort reform

Archived