LGA depot maintenance?

Bracamonte

Its been four years since MTA Bus took over Triboro Coach and its depot was renamed LGA. Before that, maintenance was completely downhill. Has maintenance at LGA improved or remained the same? Not to mention today I saw a tow truck towing a Orion VII back to LGA depot.

Im guessing it remained the same, they beat down their buses....

4487b.jpg

I just don't understand these haters. It's like they are targeting that depot outta nowhere. I understand if it was like ENY*, but FB? Come on....

*due to the then 8600 and 8700 RTSs. But overall I think ENY is pretty good now. I do like the ex-Grand Av OG hybrids.

I agree,you don't see FLA scrapping their NOVA unlike LGA,they scrap their first NOVA now 133 might not return to service ever again.

Im guessing it remained the same, they beat down their buses....

4487b.jpg

that bus is not a year old....

Shane, let me put it this way...I've been on the B46 countless times in the past week and they destroyed my MetroCard cuz their readers are jacked up...and on one of those occasions it was a one-day UNLIMITED!!! Keeping your fareboxes clean counts as basic maintenance. I've been on every other bus route other than Flatbush-based routes and they never misread my cards the day I bought an unlimited I was all over Staten Island and I took the B46 home the same day...I gave my mom the unlimited so she could get on the train and it wouldn't read. She thought I gave her a bad card but I didn't...the farebox from the B46 that screwed up my card.

I'll still give Flatbush the benefit of the doubt but I'm not convinced right now. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

sounds like unlucky coincidences w/ you & flatbush routes, sorry to say...

but I wouldn't blame some'n like that, on the depot itself.... nor would I make any type of comparison to the general maintenance of buses housed in FBH (or w/e flatbush's 3 letter designation is... lol) to that of those housed at LGA... IMO, that's like comparing fresh breastmilk to spoiled milk comin from a cow; not a fair comparison at all...

all my years of living around flatbush routes (all my life), I've never been on a flatbush route that's had an RTS break down while I was on it, or have ever seen one go OOS due to some mech. failure or w/e.... not to say that it's never happened otherwise, but:

1) I cannot say the same for LGA based routes... I don't even live in Queens, and I've been on more than a handful of buses out of LGA (and FRK as well) that have broke down while (me) being a passenger on those buses....

2) I'm willing to bet the farm that breakdowns & other mech. failures or w/e, occur more often on LGA routes, as opposed to buses on f'bush routes....

of course, you can contrarily say that, I had unlucky coincidences on LGA & FRK routes....

but hell bro, judging on other people's posts about LGA (not just those in this thread) in the past, across forums, their commentaries on that depot are not good either.... flatbush isn't really talked about much (except when new buses come in or w/e... well that, and the unfortunate exchanges b/w passengers & b/o's {fights/stabbings}.... and fare beating... none of which has to do w/ the upkeeping of buses in the depot itself.....

far as metrocards go, usually when my metrocards f*** up, it's due to refilling them on the MVM's... but that's a whole 'nother topic...

To Me Flatbush needs a bigger depot, Flatbush an't that Bad, I rode Flatbush Buses before they are not that Bad, ENY did take better care of those last 5200's but hey, You can't blame everything on Flatbush, They just need to expand the depot, LGA needs to give some of their routes back to CP, Since that swap, things gotten wrose, LGA is a bad depot point blank but they should have gotten more Next Gens If anything Eastchester and College Point should have gotten those Hybirds

Reasons:

Easchester has the QBx1, Very High Ridership line, Should have newer buses

College Point has various High Ridership Routes in Queens, To Me they should have geven CP some OG Orion VII's Making CP half and Half.

To Me Flatbush needs a bigger depot, Flatbush an't that Bad, I rode Flatbush Buses before they are not that Bad, ENY did take better care of those last 5200's but hey, You can't blame everything on Flatbush, They just need to expand the depot, LGA needs to give some of their routes back to CP, Since that swap, things gotten wrose, LGA is a bad depot point blank but they should have gotten more Next Gens If anything Eastchester and College Point should have gotten those Hybirds

Reasons:

College Point has various High Ridership Routes in Queens, To Me they should have geven CP some OG Orion VII's Making CP half and Half.

I agree that ENY took very good care of the 5200's. They also take excellent care of their hybrids. And let's not forget ENY has maintained buses from almost every depot, if not all of them! I've been on more ENY routes than any other.(Naturally) Now as far as the 8600's go, they were my favorite TMC's and I thought they were ok. MJQ took really good care of theirs.

Now for the QBx1, I think they should continue to run RTS's and should not put hybrids on the line because that route needs them for speed and capacity. Some routes (like QBx1) should remain all RTS until the last of them are retired.

As far as CP goes, they won't be getting hybrids any time soon from what I understand. They will be getting O7 3G CNG's along with JG, and WF.

I'll tell you what, I'll give Flatbush the benefit of the doubt. I did use to live by the B44 and I have to say, that was my favorite route. My dad and I would often go to the Junction at Flatbush and Nostrand and take the B41 to Downtown Brooklyn and go all over. I remember the back doors had the rectangular corners instead of the rounded ones!

Every depot has their flaws. I did find it shocking when I found out the NGs that were transferred to MJQ weren't in that great condition so I decided to build a bias with Flatbush. My main bias is with Castleton really because of the accidents their NGs have experienced in the past two months (the buses that were OOS are in consecutive order!). Regardless, every depot has flaws so I shouldn't be blasting Flatbush Avenue depot like that.

I'll tell you what, I'll give Flatbush the benefit of the doubt. I did use to live by the B44 and I have to say, that was my favorite route. My dad and I would often go to the Junction at Flatbush and Nostrand and take the B41 to Downtown Brooklyn and go all over. I remember the back doors had the rectangular corners instead of the rounded ones!

Every depot has their flaws. I did find it shocking when I found out the NGs that were transferred to MJQ weren't in that great condition so I decided to build a bias with Flatbush. My main bias is with Castleton really because of the accidents their NGs have experienced in the past two months (the buses that were OOS are in consecutive order!). Regardless, every depot has flaws so I shouldn't be blasting Flatbush Avenue depot like that.

Now wait, because you do have a point here about the NG's. CAS has been tearing them up since day one, and FLA mechanics have for decades been used to working on the RTS ONLY. So some issues are bound to arise with that part of the fleet. But the way I see it, my prediction is the best maintained NG/3G's of the somewhat near future will operate out of ENY, GA, FLA, SC, MJQ, MCH when it reopens, ECH, WF, JAM, BPK, CP, and both LIB depots. Some of the other depots are ok too, but others need to get their shit together.

They were in pretty good condition with the exception of like 4-5 buses. the rest were fine.

Reasons:

A vast majority of those 200+ VII OG CNGs are slow as shit.

Now wait, because you do have a point here about the NG's. CAS has been tearing them up since day one, and FLA mechanics have for decades been used to working on the RTS ONLY. So some issues are bound to arise with that part of the fleet. But the way I see it, my prediction is the best maintained NG/3G's of the somewhat near future will operate out of ENY, GA, FLA, SC, MJQ, MCH when it reopens, ECH, WF, JAM, BPK, CP, and both LIB depots. Some of the other depots are ok too, but others need to get their shit together.

Now that you mention it, a question just dawned on me: when a depot gets a bus type that they've never had before what type of procedure do the depot workers undergo to keep their buses up and running? Do they get trained for the new bus types?

Now that you mention it, a question just dawned on me: when a depot gets a bus type that they've never had before what type of procedure do the depot workers undergo to keep their buses up and running? Do they get trained for the new bus types?

Yessir! Before Flatbush got their allotment of buses, two NGs IIRC from Staten Island were sent to Flatbush for Maintenance & Operator training.

When a depot gets a new bus model they always have a few maintenance training sessions. They have to go over every inch of the bus so they can get familiar with everything. The manufacturer almost always assists with this process.

Note: If you ever see mechanics around a pilot bus, or training bus, you are pretty much guaranteed to see a fleet of them coming to that depot soon.

They were in pretty good condition with the exception of like 4-5 buses. the rest were fine.

A vast majority of those 200+ VII OG CNGs are slow as shit.

I took one on the (2) SHUTTLE last night, on the express one, it was 7779, that shit went over 40, so I disagree, Maybe the Hybirds yeah but The CNG's are not slow, And the O7 OG's out of Basiley Park are one of the fastest along with ENY and CS.

How much of an expansion would the depot need? I could see them annexing the baseball fields if they really need the room. But to get the parks to relocate that 'park space' would be another issue.

I passed the depot before, Its small, The smaller the depot the harder the mantenice, That The MTA does not get, That's why I was pissed off when they swaped the CP routes to LGA.

What would've been nice is if they could've swapped routes with CS as well. The 3 of them could've better streamlined their routes to get lines closer to certain depots.

I took one on the (2) SHUTTLE last night, on the express one, it was 7779, that shit went over 40, so I disagree, Maybe the Hybirds yeah but The CNG's are not slow, And the O7 OG's out of Basiley Park are one of the fastest along with ENY and CS.

I will say there there aren't many stretches in Brooklyn where an O7 can really speed due to how narrow some streets are and of course idiots that have to double park and take up a lane.

The 77s and 7800s are pretty good, the ones below that just suck.

What would've been nice is if they could've swapped routes with CS as well. The 3 of them could've better streamlined their routes to get lines closer to certain depots.

I will say there there aren't many stretches in Brooklyn where an O7 can really speed due to how narrow some streets are and of course idiots that have to double park and take up a lane.

In all honesty, to have LGA swap routes with Casey Stengel would be a terrible idea, as reliability would go down.

The 77s and 7800s are pretty good, the ones below that just suck.

In all honesty, to have LGA swap routes with Casey Stengel would be a terrible idea, as reliability would go down.

HELL NO, CS Is good without those Routes, I agree on that.

I would think CS could take some express routes from either LGA and/or CP. I mean aren't there some express routes that runs close to CS than either CP or LGA?

Also doesn't the Q48 run past the LGA depot? It's like the B100 running past FB. It should be based at the depot it runs past.

I would think CS could take some express routes from either LGA and/or CP. I mean aren't there some express routes that runs close to CS than either CP or LGA?

Also doesn't the Q48 run past the LGA depot? It's like the B100 running past FB. It should be based at the depot it runs past.

You have to remember that you are talking about MTA Bus and NYCT here. So yes it would make more sense to have lots of routes move to different depots, but it's not that simple yet. Therefore the B100 can not yet run out of Flatbush, nor can any QM routes run out of Stengel. In the future I am sure we will see this, but who knows when that will be. I think MTAB needs to be merged into NYCT at least by 2015. They could save money, but they gotta get contracts in order before any of this can happen.

If everything was merged, that would be a brilliant idea. I didnt even think about the Q48 to LGA but that really does make sense, but for reliability, I rather have that split with CS. I think in order for CS to take EXP routes, they would have to lose some local buses and/or routes, or split a majority of the routes which isnt really a bad thing per say.

If everything was merged, that would be a brilliant idea. I didnt even think about the Q48 to LGA but that really does make sense, but for reliability, I rather have that split with CS. I think in order for CS to take EXP routes, they would have to lose some local buses and/or routes, or split a majority of the routes which isnt really a bad thing per say.

True they could split some of them, but they wouldn't have to lose much if they were merged. They could just swap buses, routes, and b/o's. Send the Q48 to LGA and send 2 express routes to CS, and maybe CP because LGA is a mess! They barely have room for the buses they have now.

How the hell did LGA become N. Queens Division HQ anyway!!!???

I rather MTA Bus take over all, Atleat MTA bus Operators Drive, Transit make them drive like Old women, At night its a differnt story but during the day I try my best to stay away, The Q43 is the wrost, what ever you do don't take it during the day.

The situation is much better than the Triboro Coach days. It's among the worse depots in the system right now but it's not total crap either.

I still think CP was better with Queens Surface. They took good care of their buses. I hate the way the MTA changed the seating in the buses.

Triboro was pretty bad though, but I miss having the Orion V CNG Express coaches on the Q53, that was always fun (except when we broke down of course).

Back in the day we called them Trihorror or Triboro Roach and Spleen Lines...:eek:

Archived