Subway Track Fire Strands Straphanghers; Some Walk To 121st Street On The Tracks

"Subway Track Fire Strands Straphangers"

BY: John Doyle

Last Updated: 4:11 PM June 5, 2010

Posted: 4:10 PM June 5, 2010

Hundreds of straphangers were rescued from a Queens-bound J-train today after a track fire in Jamaica left them stranded in a subway tunnel between stations, fire, and transit officials said.

Mechanical failure sparked a small blaze beneath the train, leaving it disabled and stranded on the tracks below Archer Avenue between the Sutphin Boulevard station and the 121st Street station around 11am, transit officials said.

About two dozen passengers climbed out of the train and walked on the tracks to the 121st Street station before emergency crews arrived, officials said.

Some 80 firefighters responded to the blaze, and along with transit workers, they used an emergency train to link-up with the disabled cars, and evacuate more than 350 passengers, and ferry them to safety.

One passenger was taken to an area hospital to be treated for an asthma-related illness. No other injuries were reported, officials said/

WOW!!! I was going to take the (J) train home from Jamaica Center today as well but something told me to go to Forest Hills instead and take the train there...I'm glad I did!

Get outta my home turf and take the (M2) and then Q54 bus, just kidding, lol :cool:...

Whatever...I don't like Queens anyway I was there only for the (E) Shuttle, so....

MTR Admiralty: The New York Post article says the train was in the tunnel under Archer Avenue, but it's possible the train was just inside the tunnel toward Sutphin Boulevard.

Interesting how some passengers climbed out of the train and walked on the tracks to 121st Street. Imagine the scene when they arrived and began climbing up off the tracks.

MTR Admiralty: The New York Post article says the train was in the tunnel under Archer Avenue, but it's possible the train was just inside the tunnel toward Sutphin Boulevard.

Interesting how some passengers climbed out of the train and walked on the tracks to 121st Street. Imagine the scene when they arrived and began climbing up off the tracks.

True, but it depends how close to the portal it is to warrant such a trip. I guess they are doing it for the air.

It was an NTT train, and the current collector assembly became grounded, and caused the fire.. FDNY wouldn't START attacking the fire before their people confirmed the 3rd rail had power removed, which I can't really blame them.. TA communications arent always reliable....As for escaping a 'locked car' in a DIRE emergency, take notice of the instructions/directions stickers on 'real' railroad passenger equipment windows.. I believe NYC Transit doenst publisize it due to vandalism, and not being governed by the FRA..

It was an NTT train, and the current collector assembly became grounded, and caused the fire.. FDNY wouldn't START attacking the fire before their people confirmed the 3rd rail had power removed, which I can't really blame them.. TA communications arent always reliable....As for escaping a 'locked car' in a DIRE emergency, take notice of the instructions/directions stickers on 'real' railroad passenger equipment windows.. I believe NYC Transit doenst publisize it due to vandalism, and not being governed by the FRA..

As far as I know, on the NTTs non of the windows can be knocked out. The only ones I know for sure that can be are those in the storm doors of the R44/46/68/A.

As for the geese jumping ship, if it was a big fire, I don't blame them at all. I would have done the same, my hide is more important then TA rules.

Was the train badly damaged? Whats the status?

Archived