An interesting new M detour

Abba

True, I would probably agree that there would be a need for two full services going via 53rd to handle the crowds. Though technically, couldn't they turn back the (M) at QP? I mean isn't that stub track supposed to handle at least a 600' train?

They tried turning the (R) during middays there, and there were a lot of delays. Since this is the weekend, IDK.

Could be, I was thinking it might be some sort of test, to run the (M) into 57th to see if they would have it extended to 57th Street late nights, booting the (F) over to 53rd & placing the (Q) to 21st/Queensbridge, after all, we are in the service cut era.

How would that save money? You would be running 2 services on 53rd Street instead of one, 2 services on the 6th Avenue Local instead of 1, and 2 services on Broadway, Brooklyn instead of 1.

Could be, I was thinking it might be some sort of test, to run the (M) into 57th to see if they would have it extended to 57th Street late nights, booting the (F) over to 53rd & placing the (Q) to 21st/Queensbridge, after all, we are in the service cut era.

You know I will!

Thats exactly what I thought might happen. I do think that this is also some sort of test, but we'll wait and see.

I'll take a wild stab right at it. I think it might be related to 63/Lex. Considering that they are starting the TBM already (which should now be at 90th or 89th?), they are probably starting to set up the BMT side of the station to prep it up for the SAS work. Because the station is in stacked configuration, the tunnel would have to be shut in both directions and would make sense to allow the (M) to turn at 57/6. There's no mention that the (Q) would be extended to 21st. The work was probably scheduled for the weekend, but they couldn't do it because of the weekend. That's the best answer I could give. Don't quote me on this though.

I'll take a wild stab right at it. I think it might be related to 63/Lex. Considering that they are starting the TBM already (which should now be at 90th or 89th?), they are probably starting to set up the BMT side of the station to prep it up for the SAS work. Because the station is in stacked configuration, the tunnel would have to be shut in both directions and would make sense to allow the (M) to turn at 57/6. There's no mention that the (Q) would be extended to 21st. The work was probably scheduled for the weekend, but they couldn't do it because of the weekend. That's the best answer I could give. Don't quote me on this though.

That's actually the most logical reason I've heard so far. Makes sense, but why can't they do it on the weekend?

That's actually the most logical reason I've heard so far. Makes sense, but why can't they do it on the weekend?

Weekend is the holiday weekend. Fourth of July. That will piss everyone off if they do it then. So I'm guessing since this is a big-deal work, they are essentially "borrowing" two days after the holiday to do this.

Weekend is the holiday weekend. Fourth of July. That will piss everyone off if they do it then. So I'm guessing since this is a big-deal work, they are essentially "borrowing" two days after the holiday to do this.

But does it have to be that weekend at all?

But does it have to be that weekend at all?

TBQH, this kind of work is not really randomly coordinated. IF this was really related to SAS work, stuff MUST follow on a strict schedule, otherwise things get delayed. Well yes, they did started boring and the thing is still far away from 63rd/Lex by July. But if my theory is right, they should be prepping the tunnel approach east of 63rd/Lex. Quite honestly though, if it was related to TBM work, this should not warrant the closure of the active platforms.

The active platform and the fallow one are back to back, but it makes no sense to tear down the barrier between them because it is not like the fallow part will be open immediately or so.

Perhaps transporting equipment to the approach tunnel site would warrant the full closure, I think. Otherwise, the other approach is to access it from the ground, which would require a lot of utility relocation and such.

TBQH, this kind of work is not really randomly coordinated. IF this was really related to SAS work, stuff MUST follow on a strict schedule, otherwise things get delayed. Well yes, they did started boring and the thing is still far away from 63rd/Lex by July. But if my theory is right, they should be prepping the tunnel approach east of 63rd/Lex. Quite honestly though, if it was related to TBM work, this should not warrant the closure of the active platforms.

The active platform and the fallow one are back to back, but it makes no sense to tear down the barrier between them because it is not like the fallow part will be open immediately or so.

Perhaps transporting equipment to the approach tunnel site would warrant the full closure, I think. Otherwise, the other approach is to access it from the ground, which would require a lot of utility relocation and such.

Agreed, the work can't be done too late. How about the weekend before July 4? It gives them 2 days instead of one anyway, and w/e equipment there is can be stored on the "hidden" tracks of the station.

COOL!

I didn't know anything about this. Since I'll have Mondays off now; I didn't have to pick July 4th, but if I did; and I knew about this, I would definitely have picked that. (Unless they make it OPTO, but I kind of doubt that).

On some July 4th celebrations, especially the bigger, special ones focused in the harbor rather than the midtown rivers, they would extend the (M2) to Chambers. So this makes even more sense, since it's going to Midtown now, where more serive might be needed even for the Manhattan portion only.

They should do it for the Puerto Rican Day parade as well (When is that? It should be soon now; and I'm seeing cars with the flags).

And New Year's Eve, as well. (Will be nice whenever they get that new Bank of America passage to the TSQ complex open!)

The only way I can see them doing this would be to reroute the (F) to 53rd, and the (R) to 63rd and then cross over to Bway at Lex. But then, people on the local stations won't have access to Queens Plaza unless they make the (E) or (F) local. Are there any such supplements for any of these other lines? It does seem strange to have to affect all of these other lines just for this. I would think perhaps a weekend major G.O (where the Queens lines would have been changed like this anyway) they are taking advantage of the long weekend to complete faster, but I don't think they would use July 4th for this; it's usually the lesser holidays where a lot of people aren't traveling around the city.

That S*(t an't cool, I gotta take the (F) on that day, I don't know why people are foaming over a damn service Cut - change that is going to mess up Queens Blvd, and if you have the (F)/(M) run on 63 at the same time its going to be a hell hole, But I think they will reroute the (F) Northbound down 53rd and the (R) northbound via 63rd, that would ease the pain of the railroad being screwed up.

Still nothing on the (D) or (F) for Monday July 5th, but the (E) is going to run express:

(E) World Trade Center-bound trains run express from 71 Av to Roosevelt Av

Late Night, 11:30PM, Fri to 6:30AM, Sat

11:30PM, Sat to 6:30AM, Sun

11:30PM, Sun to 5AM, Mon, July 2-5

For service to 67 Av, 63 Dr, Woodhaven Blvd, Grand and Elmhurst Avs, take the (E) to Roosevelt Av and transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound (E)

For service from these stations, take a Jamaica Center-bound (E) to 71 Av and transfer to a World Trade Center-bound (E)

How would that save money? You would be running 2 services on 53rd Street instead of one, 2 services on the 6th Avenue Local instead of 1, and 2 services on Broadway, Brooklyn instead of 1.

It would also cut off Queensbridge from the rest of Queens once again. Not just that, but Queensbridge residents finally have a consistent service pattern with 24-hour (F) service stopping there. They've had that since December 2001. Why revert to different trains running through there at different times as was done from 1989 to early December 2001?

If extending the (M) to 57th and 6th is being done specifically for the fireworks (I hope there's more to it than that), then it makes no sense to do this. What would make much more sense would be to send the (M) through the 53rd Street Tunnel and to terminate it at Queens Plaza. I'm pretty sure a 480-foot train can relay on the center track east of QP. During the holiday Sundays, the Nostalgia Train relayed on that track and it ran with eight cars last year. No reason an 8-car train of R160s, which are the same length can't do that.

Still nothing on the (D) or (F) for Monday July 5th, but the (E) is going to run express:

(E) World Trade Center-bound trains run express from 71 Av to Roosevelt Av

Late Night, 11:30PM, Fri to 6:30AM, Sat

11:30PM, Sat to 6:30AM, Sun

11:30PM, Sun to 5AM, Mon, July 2-5

For service to 67 Av, 63 Dr, Woodhaven Blvd, Grand and Elmhurst Avs, take the (E) to Roosevelt Av and transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound (E)

For service from these stations, take a Jamaica Center-bound (E) to 71 Av and transfer to a World Trade Center-bound (E)

Yeah, but I think that's unrelated to the (M) thing. N'est-ce pas?

Back on topic:

Has anyone tried Trip Planner? Curious, I tried several trips on Monday July 5th and none have the (M). Trip Planner recommends the (F) or (E), and using the (J)(G) or (L) to reach the (F) or (E).

On Friday July 3d, it does have the (M) though on one trip from 1101 Myrtle Avenue to 32 West 51st Street it recommends taking the (M) from Myrtle Avenue to Broadway-Lafayette Street and transferring to the (D) to 47th-50th Streets-Rockerfeller Center.

Back on topic:

Has anyone tried Trip Planner? Curious, I tried several trips on Monday July 5th and none have the (M). Trip Planner recommends the (F) or (E), and using the (J)(G) or (L) to reach the (F) or (E).

On Friday July 3d, it does have the (M) though on one trip from 1101 Myrtle Avenue to 32 West 51st Street it recommends taking the (M) from Myrtle Avenue to Broadway-Lafayette Street and transferring to the (D) to 47th-50th Streets-Rockerfeller Center.

For July 1st, to get from Met Av to 71 Av, it says take the (M2) to the (J) to the (E) for minimized transfers (subway only).

Archived