An interesting new M detour

Abba

57th Street is no longer a terminal, how the hell is the (F) gonna go by normal. Unless they relay along the Broadway tracks of the future 2nd Avenue line?

It would switch I believe after leaving 57th or between the switches between Roosevelt Island & Lex-63rd, I'm unsure, but when the old (B) & (Q) was running to 57th Street as a terminal, I think it would relay upwards, I did see the lower switches be used once though.

It would switch I believe after leaving 57th or between the switches between Roosevelt Island & Lex-63rd, I'm unsure, but when the old (B) & (Q) was running to 57th Street as a terminal, I think it would relay upwards, I did see the lower switches be used once though.

Actually when the (B)(Q6)(JFK) Ran they used the junction thats south of the station which still exists. Of course im talking about before the 63rd Tubes opened up~

And if it has something to do with 4th of July, why does it have to be July 5/6. A mistake? This is a Monday/Tues, so it suppose to go to 71st Ave.

Actually when the (B)(Q6)(JFK) Ran they used the junction thats south of the station which still exists. Of course im talking about before the 63rd Tubes opened up~

And if it has something to do with 4th of July, why does it have to be July 5/6. A mistake? This is a Monday/Tues, so it suppose to go to 71st Ave.

Thats what I meant, when they go south leaving 57th, they use that one junction, I should've worded it better.

Who knows, its just wait and see what happens. As for the (F), it would probably get rerouted via 53rd Street.

Thats what I meant, when they go south leaving 57th, they use that one junction, I should've worded it better.

Who knows, its just wait and see what happens. As for the (F), it would probably get rerouted via 53rd Street.

If the (F) gets rerouted there has to be something to replace it for 63rd/R. Isl/21st St, shuttle bus? But i dont get the g/o then since its regular weekday service and if it has to do with work along the 63rd line. Especially since its all day monday..

But your right we gotta wait as theres still a month left..

Wait a sec.......This G.O. is happening on Monday July 5th. Does this mean that Monday, the (R) will be the only local service on Broadway/Queens Boulevard while (M) trains run to 57th Street?

Very interesting, indeed!

July 5th is the July 4th (observed).So probobaly trains offically will run on a Saturday schedule.

If the (F) gets rerouted there has to be something to replace it for 63rd/R. Isl/21st St, shuttle bus? But i dont get the g/o then since its regular weekday service and if it has to do with work along the 63rd line. Especially since its all day monday..

But your right we gotta wait as theres still a month left..

Alternate service, Roosevelt Island Shuttle & (N)(Q)(R).

Most likely, the (F) will go via 53 St from Rock Ctr to Queens plz so the (M) can use 57 St as a terminal without the (F) in the way. Also, they might use a bustitution for 21 St-Queensbridge to Queens Plz

Well if they do send the (F) via 53rd, then that would mean they could either reroute the (R) via 63rd to service those stations or the (Q), but terminate it at 21st-QB.

I kinda doubt they can afford to fumigate the (M) at 57-6th without delaying service for the (F).

To address the technicalities: As was mentioned before, July 5 is the observance of Independence Day, so the trains are running on a Sunday schedule, didn't anyone read the word Holiday before the dates on the service advisory? Also, it says that service is extended to 57 St, acknowledging the weekend schedule of the (M).

This service change can be because Independence Day can be a busy holiday, with events like the Macy's fireworks show drawing crowds to the city. It's easier to do this now since they are extending a weekend service to it's basic weekday service pattern.

On a side note: did anyone notice that on the latest train timetables ( the take-ones effective January 2010) that on the Holiday service information it lists President's day as July 5? Oops!

COOL!

I didn't know anything about this. Since I'll have Mondays off now; I didn't have to pick July 4th, but if I did; and I knew about this, I would definitely have picked that. (Unless they make it OPTO, but I kind of doubt that).

On some July 4th celebrations, especially the bigger, special ones focused in the harbor rather than the midtown rivers, they would extend the (M2) to Chambers. So this makes even more sense, since it's going to Midtown now, where more serive might be needed even for the Manhattan portion only.

They should do it for the Puerto Rican Day parade as well (When is that? It should be soon now; and I'm seeing cars with the flags).

And New Year's Eve, as well. (Will be nice whenever they get that new Bank of America passage to the TSQ complex open!)

The only way I can see them doing this would be to reroute the (F) to 53rd, and the (R) to 63rd and then cross over to Bway at Lex. But then, people on the local stations won't have access to Queens Plaza unless they make the (E) or (F) local. Are there any such supplements for any of these other lines? It does seem strange to have to affect all of these other lines just for this. I would think perhaps a weekend major G.O (where the Queens lines would have been changed like this anyway) they are taking advantage of the long weekend to complete faster, but I don't think they would use July 4th for this; it's usually the lesser holidays where a lot of people aren't traveling around the city.

COOL!

I didn't know anything about this. Since I'll have Mondays off now; I didn't have to pick July 4th, but if I did; and I knew about this, I would definitely have picked that. (Unless they make it OPTO, but I kind of doubt that).

On some July 4th celebrations, especially the bigger, special ones focused in the harbor rather than the midtown rivers, they would extend the (M2) to Chambers. So this makes even more sense, since it's going to Midtown now, where more serive might be needed even for the Manhattan portion only.

They should do it for the Puerto Rican Day parade as well (When is that? It should be soon now; and I'm seeing cars with the flags).

And New Year's Eve, as well. (Will be nice whenever they get that new Bank of America passage to the TSQ complex open!)

The only way I can see them doing this would be to reroute the (F) to 53rd, and the (R) to 63rd and then cross over to Bway at Lex. But then, people on the local stations won't have access to Queens Plaza unless they make the (E) or (F) local. Are there any such supplements for any of these other lines? It does seem strange to have to affect all of these other lines just for this. I would think perhaps a weekend major G.O (where the Queens lines would have been changed like this anyway) they are taking advantage of the long weekend to complete faster, but I don't think they would use July 4th for this; it's usually the lesser holidays where a lot of people aren't traveling around the city.

That's what I was thinking about running the (R) via 63rd. Or they could run the (Q) to 21st-QB just like 'old times'. But very true about this being a problem for local riders trying to get to QP. This whole thing just doesn't add up at all.

That's what I was thinking about running the (R) via 63rd. Or they could run the (Q) to 21st-QB just like 'old times'. But very true about this being a problem for local riders trying to get to QP. This whole thing just doesn't add up at all.

So that will probably be what they'll do ((Q) to 21st). There have been other G.O.'s where they did that.

If the celebration is on the East River midtown, I could see where they might want to run the (F) through 53rd, so perhaps that is what is going on. Are there any such notices about the (F)? ((Q) to 21 might also be good for that, to divide the crowds going to the area).

What the hell?

This makes no sense whatsoever. It could be related to some kind of construction.

Could be, I was thinking it might be some sort of test, to run the (M) into 57th to see if they would have it extended to 57th Street late nights, booting the (F) over to 53rd & placing the (Q) to 21st/Queensbridge, after all, we are in the service cut era.

(W)hoa now this is something I would really like to see

plz charge up the DSLR

You know I will!

So that will probably be what they'll do ((Q) to 21st). There have been other G.O.'s where they did that.

If the celebration is on the East River midtown, I could see where they might want to run the (F) through 53rd, so perhaps that is what is going on. Are there any such notices about the (F)? ((Q) to 21 might also be good for that, to divide the crowds going to the area).

Thats exactly what I thought might happen. I do think that this is also some sort of test, but we'll wait and see.

Archived