South Ferry Inner Loop Question

No the inner loop platform is gonna stay there for year and years and look just like the other abandoned stations unless its maintained.

And i believe there use to been another station entry before the t/a built one via the SF Terminal.

Btw this isn't News

Is the old inner loop platform gone? Also how did once access it before they built the new station and that huge Staten Island Ferry building there

The inner loops is still there but it never had an open platform like a normal station. Because of the curve, only the center doors of each car would open so there are only openings where the center door would be. The platform was used as a storage area for a while, but now I think it is empty. The inner loop was also a separate station.

No the inner loop platform is gonna stay there for year and years and look just like the other abandoned stations unless its maintained.

And i believe there use to been another station entry before the t/a built one via the SF Terminal.

Btw this isn't News

Well it requires me to pick a prefix. And whoever browses this I stuck it in the photo part by mistake

The inner loops is still there but it never had an open platform like a normal station. Because of the curve, only the center doors of each car would open so there are only openings where the center door would be. The platform was used as a storage area for a while, but now I think it is empty. The inner loop was also a separate station.

Where was the former entrance to the inner loop?

I'm not sure, but I think it was where that South Ferry shuttle used to run. Someone correct me if I am wrong. In Response to the first question, the inner loop has to stay because the (5) train uses that loop to turn around @ Bowling Green when it is not going to Brooklyn.

I'm not sure, but I think it was where that South Ferry shuttle used to run. Someone correct me if I am wrong. In Response to the first question, the inner loop has to stay because the (5) train uses that loop to turn around @ Bowling Green when it is not going to Brooklyn.

The inner loop was where the South Ferry shuttle used to run. That's what INDman described above (where only the center doors would open). At the Green, the Shuttle used the now abandoned side platform at the south west end of the station to board.

AFAIK, the inner loop connects to the Lex line and that is what the (5) uses to turn around. It was built so that passengers at Bowling Green could catch the ferry without walking. The platform is surrounded by a wall, by arches are cut out to fit the middle door, I think it was because of the curvature and safety issues. Modified cars were used so that only central doors could open.

It is not gone, all the infrastructure is still there. The (5) uses it to turn around, well it used to (it might use the outer loop, but I can't be too sure). There is an exit to the street, but the exit structure is at most demolished. It's still treated as an emergency exit, I think.

AFAIK, the inner loop connects to the Lex line and that is what the (5) uses to turn around. It was built so that passengers at Bowling Green could catch the ferry without walking. The platform is surrounded by a wall, by arches are cut out to fit the middle door, I think it was because of the curvature and safety issues. Modified cars were used so that only central doors could open.

It is not gone, all the infrastructure is still there. The (5) uses it to turn around, well it used to (it might use the outer loop, but I can't be too sure). There is an exit to the street, but the exit structure is at most demolished. It's still treated as an emergency exit, I think.

Yea, I was wondering where the entrance to the old loop platform is, im guessing its somewhere by the ferry building since thats where the outer loop entrance is built onto now.

Yea, I was wondering where the entrance to the old loop platform is, im guessing its somewhere by the ferry building since thats where the outer loop entrance is built onto now.

I think it is. I can point out the location, but I can't really describe it. Plus, the area surrounding got jacked up during the construction of the new station.

When the (6) went to South Ferry, did it use the Outer or Inner Loop?

GojiMet86: When the 70(5) and 70(6) used to run to South Ferry nights, they used the Outer Loop.

The 70(SS) Bowling Green-South Ferry shuttle, which ran normal hours, used the Inner Loop.

AFAIKO, there was no connection/transfer between the Outer and the Inner Loops.

How did they make a new path to build the new South Ferry Station? When I look out the window, the train switches from the old South Ferry tracks, and goes to the new South Ferry tracks.

What they did was set the tracks to the right and they dived under the existing loops. That's why the new station is considerably deeper than the loop.

Thank you very much for your response. When I first witnessed that entering the new South Ferry Station, I got so confused. I was thinking how could they divert away from the loop tracks, to create a new path to build a full length South Ferry. For some reason I thought the new South Ferry Station was built before reaching the loop. Does that mean the new South Ferry Station is under the old South Ferry Station?

Thank you very much for your response. When I first witnessed that entering the new South Ferry Station, I got so confused. I was thinking how could they divert away from the loop tracks, to create a new path to build a full length South Ferry. For some reason I thought the new South Ferry Station was built before reaching the loop. Does that mean the new South Ferry Station is under the old South Ferry Station?

No prob. Currently, trains to the new stations are set to straight (G/G or Y/G) while those that are visiting the loops are set to diverge (Y/Y). What happened was, they were building the station at the same time the loop was running. Since much of the work occurred under the loop, it did not really affect service until they had to connect to the line. During the weekends with extensive GOs, they tied the new station with the (1) line. And yes, the new SF sits under the old one.

Answers herein:

http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sft/description.htm

From what I was told, the inner loop was severed and the (5) uses the outer loop cuz it causes less strain on the never R142s.

It might be true, but since both loops are closed to the public, we don't know. The (5) was meant to be on the outer loop, until the 7th Avenue Local took it. Thus it had to go to the inner one which has greater curvature.

Archived