Am I the only one that likes the Orange (M)?

WHY is there an issue with 8 cars!? The (V) is never packed. I've never even seen a packed (V) train. Like, the stars have to align correctly for that to happen. The (V) never needed to be full-length in the first place. If you want a seat, ride the (V). Similar to a Q89, or Rochdale Village Q85; always a seat.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well with these late night parties, I was at 2nd Ave around 10 PM, i saw two (F) trains enter and people on that (V) train ran over for the (F). Now when the (V) train finally leaves only about 1-5 people actually on the train at 2nd Ave.

Yo know, come to think of it...I think the (V) (and maybe even the (W), but I lack experience there) is one of those lines no one purposes to ride; you just catch it if it comes first. Like, I've never heard anyone say, "I gotta go hop on the (V)", or, "I take the (V) to..."

WHY is there an issue with 8 cars!? The (V) is never packed.

Like I asked, will the crowds at heavily-used 5th Avenue or Lexington/53rd be able to deal with a train that is two cars shorter than what they're used to? 480-foot trains haven't run on 53rd Street in rush hour service in a long time. The (E) runs 600-foot trains, the (F) did, and the current (V) does. I know the (V) isn't packed, but I don't think we should have throngs of people running for the end of a shorter (M) train at both ends of a platform? I realize it is not possible to run 10-car trains on the (M) train. But it's possible to run 9-car trains (540 feet long). It should be possible to run a 5-car set of R160s with a 4-car set. The loss of one car will be less of a problem than the loss of two.

1. That is a valid issue I see with the merger. However, the (M) is STILL a local. How many riders can it pick up? Besides it is not the only line down along Queens Blvd or 6th Avenue, so at the stations you mentioned or cited, there are other services, such as the (F). There WILL be crowding for sure, but it will not be apocalyptic as Lexington Avenue during rush hour, or the (E).

2. That is another valid point - but where can they send it? Chambers is going to be occupied by the (J), unless you bump the (J) to Broad and then send the (M) to turn at Chambers during the weekends. But that means money. Turning at Essex is not a good idea, since it is a through station. To be frank, if it is feasible, why hasn't it been done already? Running along 6th Avenue sounds like a good idea, for the weekend, but think: not only does it require more money, it would be an even bigger mess when it comes to GOs. The (F) sometimes hops on the (A), especially now with the Broadway-Lafayette construction.

3. Why yes, Standards were used for a while in the system. But the new norm is to have 4 car sets of either 60 footers or 75 footers and 5 car sets of 60 footers. Even with SMEE equipment, it would be awkward to split a pair and run one of them with 4 other pairs.

4. Again with Essex. Sure, on the track map it looks perfectly feasible. But even with the crappy headways during late nights, it could still affect (J) service.

3. But it should be possible for a 5-car set of Alstom R160s to be able to operate with a 4-car set. If not, then the (MTA) really is the poster child of incompetence. If the new (M) service is possible, the trains may warrant the extra car per train. The stations along 53rd certainly will, especially if there's a problem with the (E).

4. Essex has turned back trains coming from the south, including the special (J) shuttle that runs when (4) service to Brooklyn is suspended, without significantly affecting regular (J) service. So I think an (M) that turns at Essex should be feasible.

Guest lance25

Yes, passengers will have to get used to shorter trains along 53 St, but the problem with running 9-car trains is that another line will have to run 9-car trains to balance out that kind of a car transfer. That will only exacerbate the overcrowding problem on another line.

3. But it should be possible for a 5-car set of Alstom R160s to be able to operate with a 4-car set. If not, then the (MTA) really is the poster child of incompetence. If the new (M) service is possible, the trains may warrant the extra car per train. The stations along 53rd certainly will, especially if there's a problem with the (E).

4. Essex has turned back trains coming from the south, including the special (J) shuttle that runs when (4) service to Brooklyn is suspended, without significantly affecting regular (J) service. So I think an (M) that turns at Essex should be feasible.

-Now could that be done without hampering the number of 5 car sets reserved for full length trains?

-It makes sense for the (J) shuttle since it turned south of Essex. Now if you're saying it could be done with say weekend runs or late night runs, why hasn't this happened? There are sometimes reasons.

My thoughts really for the shorter train thing is that we need to see how this all plays out.

Never packed. Always a seat.

Hence the reason I look for it during rush hours going through Queens Blvd. I'm never in that much of a hurry to pack myself into a train where I can barely move my arms. Also experience in the past has had me meeting up with the very express train I chose to vacate later on up the road 85% of the time ESPECIALLY on Queens Blvd with its 9800 ways of getting backed up/delayed or what have you. I even go so far as to switch to the (7) when I have to go to Manhattan from there.

-Now could that be done without hampering the number of 5 car sets reserved for full length trains?

-It makes sense for the (J) shuttle since it turned south of Essex. Now if you're saying it could be done with say weekend runs or late night runs, why hasn't this happened? There are sometimes reasons.

My thoughts really for the shorter train thing is that we need to see how this all plays out.

Perhaps some 5-car sets from the upcoming R179 order (if that order does go through) can go to ENY to make 9-car trains on the (M) if it becomes necessary. Or additional B-cars can be ordered as part of that order.

9 cars may fit in some stations, but not Metropolitan. It just barely holds the 8!

Yeah, even if they knocked down the 'room' at the end of the platform, it would barely hold a 9th car. They need to rebuild the tracks outside the station to safely fit the 10th car and whatever that room is.

But other than the power stations on the el, I think it could be possible to make all the stations hold 10-car trains.

Hence the reason I look for it during rush hours going through Queens Blvd. I'm never in that much of a hurry to pack myself into a train where I can barely move my arms. Also experience in the past has had me meeting up with the very express train I chose to vacate later on up the road 85% of the time ESPECIALLY on Queens Blvd with its 9800 ways of getting backed up/delayed or what have you. I even go so far as to switch to the (7) when I have to go to Manhattan from there.

Agreed, I'd rather just wake up 15 min earlier to ride a local [in my case the (6) over the (4)(5)] than to pack myself in the express. It's less stressful and I can get a seat by like 59th St and nap the rest of the way down to my stop. Morning, stress is bad, no need to add to it.

With the (V) having 160's the trains will be packed and you are crazy saying the (V) is never packed.Stand at 5th Av/53rd St or take the (V) around 4-7pm and tell me how it is.

36642_137444682935936_1000001121671.jpg

All those people got off that (V)! There wasn't an (F) for at least 15min 5 back2back (E)'s before this (V) came which ran express!

36642_137444276269310_1000001121671.jpg

36642_137444169602654_1000001121671.jpg

Pics from Friday!

With the (V) having 160's the trains will be packed and you are crazy saying the (V) is never packed.Stand at 5th Av/53rd St or take the (V) around 4-7pm and tell me how it is.

36642_137444682935936_1000001121671.jpg

All those people got off that (V)! There wasn't an (F) for at least 15min 5 back2back (E)'s before this (V) came which ran express!

36642_137444276269310_1000001121671.jpg

36642_137444169602654_1000001121671.jpg

Pics from Friday!

hmm

Taken at 5:40PM Queens Bound

Taken at 6:23PM Queens Bound

Taken at 5:50PM to Forest Hills.

Taken at 6:30PM, went out of service at 7:10PM. Not even that packed going to Continental Avenue, a few standees but thats not packed.

The only stations that the V legitly gets a lot of people are at Lex-53rd and Roosevelt Avenue

Taken at 6:30PM, went out of service at 7:10PM. Not even that packed going to Continental Avenue, a few standees but thats not packed.

The only stations that the V legitly gets a lot of people are at Lex-53rd and Roosevelt Avenue

A packed train is packed whether its for 1 stop or a few stops.Compare the (:P and the (V).The (:) is packed from 34th St all the way to Church Av.Now the (V) is packed from 34th to about Woodhaven Blvd.It may not be the entire line but packed is packed.

Here's the thing though: a train doesn't necessarily have to be "packed" to justify its usage. If it gets ridership then it's doing its job, isn't it? The (V) doesn't necessarily run empty at all, it gets people. Despite where along the route it gets its riders doesn't justify that the line is useless as a whole. Besides, trains aren't always full at the extreme ends of its route.

Here's the thing though: a train doesn't necessarily have to be "packed" to justify its usage. If it gets ridership then it's doing its job, isn't it? The (V) doesn't necessarily run empty at all, it gets people. Despite where along the route it gets its riders doesn't justify that the line is useless as a whole. Besides, trains aren't always full at the extreme ends of its route.

Of course, but then you have people saying "OH THE (V) LINE GETS PACKED!!!" when it really doesnt, of course its doing its job and getting a fair amount of people, I'm only pointing out that the line doesnt get as "packed" as others.

The problem with the (V) is that it just ends empty by the time it gets to 2nd av. Sadly it doesn't look like the MTA would've ever extend it to like Church Av or something.

The way I see it, it's kinda best for it to run "light" anyways as the minute the train pulls into the station it's out again. Cleaners really don't spend that much time fumigating the train for the most part. And as for the Brooklyn extension it is justifiable. It's something the MTA will have to look into once the work is near completion. If it means the loss of the (M) so be it, not everyone can be happy. Some areas need more help than others.

Of course, but then you have people saying "OH THE (V) LINE GETS PACKED!!!" when it really doesnt, of course its doing its job and getting a fair amount of people, I'm only pointing out that the line doesnt get as "packed" as others.

There are very few instances that the (V) can be, as we say, "packed". It has happened but it's not something you'll see all the time. It depends what the circumstances are and if you're in the right place at the right time. For instance, a few others and myself were waiting for a certain T/O friend of ours and the train before hers was REALLY CRUSH LOADED!!! I swear, it was!

My main concern with the (M) is its length. A longer line is always going to be prone to delays. Some days it may be lucky, some days not so much. We all know something happens along Queens Boulevard everay single day and in the instance something happens like that, (E) and (V) riders are the first that are going to feel the impact because either the (E)'s headways are stretched and the (V) is suspended or even both. With the new (M), riders of that line who come from Middle Village and Glendale will feel the impact as the (M) will have to be turned somewhere else in the case that there's a service disruption along Queens Boulevard. This'll either leave the riders stranded or having to backpedal along the line to make a transfer.

In the event of a problem on QB or 6th Av, the (M) would just terminate at Chambers or Essex on the Nassau line. Not really a big deal. If there's a problem on the Metropolitan av end, then they could turn back the (M) at 2nd Av.

The terminals are there for emergencies, it's just now they won't be used as often anymore.

(M) would be the (M2) when it goes to Chambers on an G.O, reroute, etc.... I mean how often does something on Queens Blvd or 6th Ave to the point trains are rerouted?

Well there's been a number of times these past few years where the (V) line was suspended altogether. So instead of suspending the (M) altogether, the (M) would just be rerouted to chambers St or terminate at Essex.

Archived