Am I the only one that likes the Orange (M)?

Like I asked, will the crowds at heavily-used 5th Avenue or Lexington/53rd be able to deal with a train that is two cars shorter than what they're used to? 480-foot trains haven't run on 53rd Street in rush hour service in a long time. The (E) runs 600-foot trains, the (F) did, and the current (V) does. I know the (V) isn't packed, but I don't think we should have throngs of people running for the end of a shorter (M) train at both ends of a platform? I realize it is not possible to run 10-car trains on the (M) train. But it's possible to run 9-car trains (540 feet long). It should be possible to run a 5-car set of R160s with a 4-car set. The loss of one car will be less of a problem than the loss of two.

I'm assuming at Lex/53rd they'll have the (M) stop as far back as possible, since the main entrance to that station is those really long escalators.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the (V) having 160's the trains will be packed and you are crazy saying the (V) is never packed.Stand at 5th Av/53rd St or take the (V) around 4-7pm and tell me how it is.

36642_137444682935936_1000001121671.jpg

All those people got off that (V)! There wasn't an (F) for at least 15min 5 back2back (E)'s before this (V) came which ran express!

36642_137444276269310_1000001121671.jpg

36642_137444169602654_1000001121671.jpg

Pics from Friday!

Exactly my point. With service being normal, the (V) always has seats.

Exactly my point. With service being normal, the (V) always has seats.

Yea but that was a (V) on the right and an (R) on the left.That (V) was packed when (V) service was normal.Wat was crazy was people stayed a bit longer at 71 Av thinking it was going to Jamaica-179 due to the gap in service.

Here's the thing though: a train doesn't necessarily have to be "packed" to justify its usage. If it gets ridership then it's doing its job, isn't it? The (V) doesn't necessarily run empty at all, it gets people. Despite where along the route it gets its riders doesn't justify that the line is useless as a whole. Besides, trains aren't always full at the extreme ends of its route.

Let me add onto that.

The subway is more cost-efficient than the bus network. A "packed" 40 foot bus could be less cost-efficient than a (V) train with a seated load.

Let me add onto that.

The subway is more cost-efficient than the bus network. A "packed" 40 foot bus could be less cost-efficient than a (V) train with a seated load.

Exactly. It costs more money to operate a bus than it does to operate a train. Speaking from a logistical point of view that is why the Franklin and Rockaway Shuttles will never be replaced at night with shuttle buses, it's too inefficient to both the MTA and its passengers who'd have to wait 20 minutes in the blistering cold on a winter day for a bus. Not to mention the cost of fueling for the buses and the beating they take on the road with whatever obstacles that lie ahead of it.

Exactly. It costs more money to operate a bus than it does to operate a train. Speaking from a logistical point of view that is why the Franklin and Rockaway Shuttles will never be replaced at night with shuttle buses, it's too inefficient to both the MTA and its passengers who'd have to wait 20 minutes in the blistering cold on a winter day for a bus. Not to mention the cost of fueling for the buses and the beating they take on the road with whatever obstacles that lie ahead of it.

Riders would at Rockaway Park would have to wait in the cold for the (A) at Broad Channel anyway. At least the bus taking people directly to 67th would be a bit more inland than BC is.

But I'm not going into the whole replace the late night S with a bus shuttle again.

Plus the cost of closing down the stations just to open them 5 hours later would be very costly.

What about electricity powering the lights and turnstiles and the overall costs to maintain the 4-car shuttle compared to running a single bus? I'm just saying, is overall really that bad to run a bus instead?

Some people were saying that because the (M2) served South Brooklyn for over 40 years, that it should not move. Service patterns should not be historical, they should be functional. The (M) will better serve the customers, the (V) was a waste from day 1 and could have been avoided by adding extra trains to several lines, and the (W) should have been discontinued after Stillwell was finished. If you want subway service patterns to be as they were way back when, go look at an old map.

IAWTP :)

The crazy thing about this (M)/(V) dilemma is when it was the (V) to Metropolitan, it was the Myrtle residents who were complaining about the letter being (V), but when the plan was changed to (M), it was the die hard (V) fans that were whining. At the end of the day, its still the same train from Middle Village to Forest Hills..... SMH.

the official reason as to why the letter (V) didnt stick is because that line is based out of jamaica and the (MTA) didnt want to use a mixed fleet. so having an (M) was a better option, then all this bs of the (M2) being an existence for 40 yrs and customers complaining. most of customers really didnt dramatically affect the (MTA)'s decision of keeping the M, it was all about car assignments and maintenance costs

the official reason as to why the letter (V) didnt stick is because that line is based out of jamaica and the (MTA) didnt want to use a mixed fleet. so having an (M) was a better option, then all this bs of the (M2) being an existence for 40 yrs and customers complaining. most of customers really didnt dramatically affect the (MTA)'s decision of keeping the M, it was all about car assignments and maintenance costs

Uh, that's not necessarily true as the (V) would have been transferred to ENY since a majority of the cars that would be used are four-car sets of R160s.

While I disagree with the (M)/(V) combo, from a rational point of view, (V) would have been a more rational designation for the new service.

Uh, that's not necessarily true as the (V) would have been transferred to ENY since a majority of the cars that would be used are four-car sets of R160s.

While I disagree with the (M)/(V) combo, from a rational point of view, (V) would have been a more rational designation for the new service.

I don't see why that is though. After all, the thing is still running on the Myrtle line (north of Broadway) which since the 60s used the M designation. People are more familiar to the M designation there.

I don't see why that is though. After all, the thing is still running on the Myrtle line (north of Broadway) which since the 60s used the M designation. People are more familiar to the M designation there.

The (V) is really just being extended, whereas the (M) is being fully rerouted from its route. Also, since the (M2) shares lines with the (D) and (R) in Brooklyn, people might think that the (M) goes to 4th Avenue from Queens Blvd or 6th Avenue, when in reality, it goes over the Williamsburg Bridge.

Then people **needs** to read the MTA site (if they have a computer) or read the advisories posted at stations, find out and **know** what's really going on and what's about to affect them. There's no room for thinking cause this change is in effect in 6 days and 3 not counting the weekend.

The (V) is really just being extended, whereas the (M) is being fully rerouted from its route. Also, since the (M2) shares lines with the (D) and (R) in Brooklyn, people might think that the (M) goes to 4th Avenue from Queens Blvd or 6th Avenue, when in reality, it goes over the Williamsburg Bridge.

Well yeah, it IS a (V) extension, but the thing is, you ARE still using the Myrtle section. And also the (M) is still being kept to its size of 8 cars per train. It's still based out of ENY.

In a way, the (M) is actually replacing the old (K) line as much as the (V) when you think of it. The old 70(M), formerly express in Brooklyn, replaced the (K) as the Broadway Brooklyn local. Now it continues through Chrystie and extends back into Queens.

I'm excited about the new (M) because it makes up for the old (K). For those of us old-timers who were around for the 1976 cuts, we fought like hell to keep it but the MTA wouldn't listen. Now we have a new round of budget cuts and this time the MTA did listen. We've gone full circle. Just my two-cents.

The only reason I like the (M) because it can take me to midtown now without changing for another train. The reason why I hate the (M) is because it doesn't transfer over to the (5) for me to get to my college. Now I would have to take another train to get to the (5) or take the (2) to 14th street and the (2) is local and the ramp from the (M) to the (2) is annoying. I prefer the (M2) way better. My father hates the (M) a lot since now he has to take 3 trains to get to work.

Archived