Student MetroCards

Deal Close to Save Free MetroCards for NYC Students

Updated: Thursday, 17 Jun 2010, 5:23 PM EDT

Published : Thursday, 17 Jun 2010, 5:10 PM EDT

MYFOX NEW YORK STAFF REPORT

MYFOXNY.COM - Lawmakers in Albany and the MTA are close to sealing a deal that would save free MetroCards for New York City students, according to Assemblyman Richard Brodsky.

The Legislature, Gov. David Paterson, and the MTA are working out the details of a proposal that would have the state contribute $25 million to the student MetroCard program and the Legislature lift a cap on MTA borrowing for its five-year rebuilding and maintenance program.

About 585,000 students get free or discounted MetroCards for up to three trips daily during the school year.

Under the MTA's so-called doomsday budget proposed six months ago, students were going to lose the free rides in favor of half fares in September 2010 and full fares in September 2011.

Students have been protested that proposal ever since.

SOURCE : http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/traffic/mta/deal-close-to-save-free-metrocards-for-nyc-students-20100617-akd

Whoops, I just realized that this article was before it was confirmed, but this should provide some sort of proof.

They can find $225 millions to save the student metro card and yet can't find $25 million to save 266 station agent layoffs. Sad....

It's definitely a political move. On Election Day, what looks better on a politician's resume than "We Kept Our Students Going to School and Succeeding!"?

Parents and teachers, two huge populations, are strong voters and will most likely embrace those who helped out with this.

If the Student Metrocards ARE indeed being saved, then I am most relieved. Maybe I can afford to live in this city for a couple of more years after all [but when I do get the proper opportunity (once I'm done with school), I will GTFO of this place]. As for those who will be complaining and moaning about the cards being saved (IF they are saved), let me just say: So what would you rather have- kids in the schools (where they won't cause too much trouble), or kids hanging out on the street in front of your home (where they're bound to cause all sorts of trouble)? I understand that there are other concerns, but there's a far less chance of the other cuts being rescinded (do you REALLY think that the (MTA) is going to save the (V) and the (W), now that they're almost done putting up all the new signs, as well as finishing work on restoring the Chrystie Street Connector?).

The current cuts are going to happen no matter what. It's the next round of cuts I'm more worried about. If they cut/trim express bus routes to offset the free rides, then maybe that would be justified.

But as I said, if the kids were even paying half the fare, that would be ok. I would prefer the MTA worry about keeping current service stable than to have to transport kids to school while running less bus and trains.

The current cuts are going to happen no matter what. It's the next round of cuts I'm more worried about. If they cut/trim express bus routes to offset the free rides, then maybe that would be justified.

But as I said, if the kids were even paying half the fare, that would be ok. I would prefer the MTA worry about keeping current service stable than to have to transport kids to school while running less bus and trains.

I agree that they should cut some of those express bus routes, but keep in mind that many of them run in areas such as Staten Island and Queens, where many of those people are relatively wealthy. And unfortunately, in this city/state/country, that means that they have enough political clout to prevent their beloved express buses from being taken away. If these express-bus routes serviced ghettos, then I assure you that they would be the first thing on the MTA's list of cuts. It's sad, but true.

Express bus riders should be paying what the actual value is. Someone posted on Subchat that a BM2 costs about $20 per rider. If they really want to keep their buses so bad, then they should pay more for it or expect cutbacks so the buses are not wasted carrying less than 35-40 riders.

$20? No wonder they have a budget hole. They waste money on crap like purchasing MCI coaches and running express buses in places like Riverdale and Lower Manhattan. The (MTA) should seriously consider cutting many of the express buses.

My point exactly. From the start the D4500s were just overkill for MTA Bus. At least the O5s could've been put on the local buses than to dead head empty to the depot or stay in manhattan till they are needed again for the PM rush.

This is not to say kill all the express routes, like some have said: QM1, x1, x17, etc. are packed. I would have no problems if those got MORE buses at the expense of other lesser used bus lines.

To keep the student cards free, there needs to be serious cuts elsewhere and the MTA has done a major chopping to the subway lines and local buses. It's not fair to us to suffer anymore in that area.

My point exactly. From the start the D4500s were just overkill for MTA Bus. At least the O5s could've been put on the local buses than to dead head empty to the depot or stay in manhattan till they are needed again for the PM rush.

This is not to say kill all the express routes, like some have said: QM1, x1, x17, etc. are packed. I would have no problems if those got MORE buses at the expense of other lesser used bus lines.

To keep the student cards free, there needs to be serious cuts elsewhere and the MTA has done a major chopping to the subway lines and local buses. It's not fair to us to suffer anymore in that area.

Speaking of which, they need new fare boxes. God forbid someone came to ride an express bus without a Metrocard. Try to ask him or her to dig up $5.50 in dimes, nickels and quarters. What a PITA.

: So what would you rather have- kids in the schools (where they won't cause too much trouble), or kids hanging out on the street in front of your home (where they're bound to cause all sorts of trouble)?

The thing is, how many kids use there passes, I see most of them just jumping over the turnstiless.

Do you know how many Kids that have half fare passes actuly pay there $0.75 back when I was a B/O. I got the same store from the same kids every day. I just let them go, there nothing more I could or would do. So if everone gets a half fare, how many of them are going to pay, 1/5th if that many.

Speaking of which, they need new fare boxes. God forbid someone came to ride an express bus without a Metrocard. Try to ask him or her to dig up $5.50 in dimes, nickels and quarters. What a PITA.

I have seen it first hand when the fare are $4.00. If the F/B did not count all the coins right, who am I to tell the person to make up the differnt. The F/B does mess up sometimes. I once had to woman get on the B82 at the first stop near Pathmark and both used 3 rolls of pennies. I did not say a word. I still had time before I leave anyway.

Do you know how many Kids that have half fare passes actuly pay there $0.75 back when I was a B/O. I got the same store from the same kids every day. I just let them go, there nothing more I could or would do. So if everone gets a half fare, how many of them are going to pay, 1/5th if that many.

That must have been a serious pain in the butt!

I have seen it first hand when the fare are $4.00. If the F/B did not count all the coins right, who am I to tell the person to make up the differnt. The F/B does mess up sometimes. I once had to woman get on the B82 at the first stop near Pathmark and both used 3 rolls of pennies. I did not say a word. I still had time before I leave anyway.

Oh lawd!

got news for you, bro.

People do that s***.

I felt like kicking this guy earlier this week while boarding the bm2... boy, the dirty looks I gave him..... mofo had a sandwich bag full of coins... had the gall to write "5.50" on the bag too.... I was standing right behind the guy, one foot on one stair, and my other foot on another (stair)....

and it's not the first time I've seen someone come on an express bus & drop a ton of change in the farebox....

Regarding the topic at hand (Student Metrocards), I agree with GC... why does it have to be full fare cards? I remember you had the old bus passes, and the 1/2 fare passes... they got rid of the passes, and introduced the student metrocards....

you know what I find w/ the student metro's.... kids rely on these things, only during the times they're NOT supposed to be used... that is, for late night travel, and weekend travel.... worse, you have some parents/adults opting to use their kids' student metro's to try and get over....

if i could come up with an analogy for this situation, it would be... the scenario where you have cats that are living ghetto fab', while still gettin a welfare check, gettin over on the gov't....

overall point being... even if it is a 1/2 fare card, you make the kids "parents" come out of pocket with SOMEthing... days of kids flashing a pass in front a b/o's grill, is over... days of dipping a free (to the students) card, should be over... especially when you get kids jumping turnstiles & hopping the backs of turnstiles....

people should be grateful... instead, they find ways to get over...

my fault for the double post... I just thought I should separate the two points

As a teacher, I get to see abject poverty in our schools firsthand. While there may be some kids whose parents can perhaps afford to contribute more, many of our schools are Title I which means families are below the poverty line. Many times, the faculty at schools take collections to help out the kids in our classes.

With Bloomberg/Klein closing up neighborhood schools and replacing them with new schools that are not zoned, most kids must commute to schools that accept them. The days of walking to school are well past for most kids. Anything that keeps our kids our in schools is a plus.

Archived