State Senate bill will save S/As and C/Rs

LexAveExp5

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/30/2010-06-30_bill_would_derail_more_mta_layoffs.html

The MTA won't be able to lay off any more token booth clerks - or run subway trains without conductors - under a bill that passed the state Senate Tuesday.

The cash-strapped Metropolitan Transportation Authority was lobbying hard against the legislation it claimed would eliminate more than $80 million in savings in its four-year financial plan.

The union-supported legislation is based on concerns that reducing NYC Transit staffing levels in subway stations and running trains without conductors makes riders more vulnerable to crime, acts of terror or other emergencies.

"I really don't want to micromanage the MTA, but sometimes public safety trumps everything," said state Sen. Martin Dilan (D-Brooklyn), chairman of the Senate transportation committee and a sponsor of the legislation.

The prohibitions would be in effect for at least three years or until a newly created panel issued a report on subway safety.

In a memorandum in opposition to the legislation, the MTA argues the bill would be too costly and unwise.

"Decisions about transit operations are best made as the result of thorough managerial analysis and review, not mandated by statute or advisory panels," the memo states.

The bill will save those that were on the chopping block but I doubt it will bring those that were laid off back. I also don't think it will help the layed off bus drivers. The mta needs cash to operate with not bloated pet projects. They get enough for the capital construction projects to waste millions.

The bill will save those that were on the chopping block but I doubt it will bring those that were laid off back. I also don't think it will help the layed off bus drivers. The mta needs cash to operate with not bloated pet projects. They get enough for the capital construction projects to waste millions.

:)Yeah I would have to agree with you. That means I'am safe for now once again along with 265 other S/A's that were slated for lay off. But unfortunately there is nothing mentioned about bringing back layed off members which tells me they won't be called back. This is kinda of bitter sweet news. On one end it's saving some people's asses while we have fellow member being cut at the same time. I'am grateful for this bill, but I feel so bad for the people who have been laid off. :confused:

"I really don't want to micromanage the MTA, but sometimes public safety trumps everything," said state Sen. Martin Dilan (D-Brooklyn), chairman of the Senate transportation committee and a sponsor of the legislation.

"Sometimes". . . . WOW. I never knew that any public service provider that offered said services with an unsafety tolerance factor of anything greater than zero might be mandated to expand their field staff by thinning the pockets of management. That's not to say that the MTA is a public hazard - not at all. However, recent moves to slash service and positions indicate that management considers the once-valued consumers of these services to be just as expendable as their also once-valued revenue and operations employees.

In a memorandum in opposition to the legislation, the MTA argues the bill would be too costly and unwise.

"Decisions about transit operations are best made as the result of thorough managerial analysis and review, not mandated by statute or advisory panels," the memo states.

Translation: "We make the calls, and cutting services is much more important than cutting parachute strings."

15 A. THE TRAIN IS MADE UP OF MORE THAN FOUR RAILROAD CARS OR IS GREATER

16 THAN THREE HUNDRED SIXTY FEET IN LENGTH; OR

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets

[ ] is old law to be omitted.

LBD00463-02-0

S. 3772--A 2

1 B. THE TRAIN SERVES PASSENGERS ON A LINE THAT PASSES THROUGH A TUNNEL

2 UNDER A RIVER OR TIDAL ESTUARY OR ON BRIDGES; OR

3 C. THE TRAIN IS OPERATING IN PASSENGER SERVICE ON A LINE WHERE THE

4 POTENTIAL PASSENGER LOAD ON THE TRAIN AT ANY POINT IN TIME IS IN EXCESS

5 OF SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY PASSENGERS.

This part of the Bill makes no sense.....

basicly any train that carries a full load into the city has to have a full crew. thats how i read it.

Another thing i found out its a Senate Bill Not an Assembly and Senate Bill.. :confused:

You need it to pass Both Houses 1st am i correct??

Another thing i found out its a Senate Bill Not an Assembly and Senate Bill.. :confused:

You need it to pass Both Houses 1st am i correct??

Theoretically, yes, it would need to pass both, but if there is some sort of similar bill that passed recently in the Assembly, or if this type of thing was added onto another law that passed the Assembly, the two would only need to be reconciled to be made into law. However, that can backfire if this bill's wording is totally changed and made useless.

This may simply be the Senate's way of appeasing the union, while they know full well that it will never be made into law, as they do fairly often. I would not depend on this bill for much.

1 B. THE TRAIN SERVES PASSENGERS ON A LINE THAT PASSES THROUGH A TUNNEL

2 UNDER A RIVER OR TIDAL ESTUARY OR ON BRIDGES; OR

3 C. THE TRAIN IS OPERATING IN PASSENGER SERVICE ON A LINE WHERE THE

4 POTENTIAL PASSENGER LOAD ON THE TRAIN AT ANY POINT IN TIME IS IN EXCESS

5 OF SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY PASSENGERS.

As written, this would eliminate OPTO on the (G) and the Rock Park (S).

Archived