Boned! More R-42s are sent for scraping!

N-Trizzy2609

Another set of R-42's were seen rolling into the 207th Street Yard early this morning possibly for scraping. The set must of been a Easy NY train since it was 8-cars-long and had pretty bad rust along the lining of the roof. Guys, I think it's the end of the R-42s. Sorry to those hoping to see them on on the (A) line but it's the end for them. Also more R-42's were sent to yard earlier as seen on nycsubway.org's newest images. Slowly but surely they will be gone. A shame because I was looking forward to riding one on spring break. Rumor has it, the (Z) is strictly R-160As now.

Another set of R-42's were seen rolling into the 207th Street Yard early this morning possibly for scraping. The set must of been a Easy NY train since it was 8-cars-long and had pretty bad rust along the lining of the roof. Guys, I think it's the end of the R-42s. Sorry to those hoping to see them on on the (A) line but it's the end for them. Also more R-42's were sent to yard earlier as seen on nycsubway.org's newest images. Slowly but surely they will be gone. A shame because I was looking forward to riding one on spring break. Rumor has it, the (Z) is strictly R-160As now.
Its not new news dude. They are scrapping ALL Coney Island Rebuilds. Those trains are crap anyway its good that they are getting rid of them.

Its not new news dude. They are scrapping ALL Coney Island Rebuilds. Those trains are crap anyway its good that they are getting rid of them.

did you just call your beloved R42's "crap" ???

i guess he's being hypnotized by the 160's lol

Another thing, most Coney Island Rebuilts are very scrunchy and rusty. When they removed the front caps of the R-42s the rust was unbearable! I had to rewash my contact lens in order to see the train. It was so rusty, I didn't want to touch the screen because I afraid I might need a disinfecting shot!

Just out of curiosity, what were the car numbers?

Last week the (Z) was strictly R160As, at least in the PM. Seen all 6. One run from BRD out to Jamaica, dump, fumigate, change ends, and run light back to ENYd, they weren't playing around with those trains...

Although the week before I did see a set of R42's signed up as (Z) - the side signs, at least - the ends were signed up as a (J), but the car pulled into the middle tk at B'way Junction (facing Alabama) at kind of an awkward time, somewhere between 1530 and 1600 hrs, stayed there for a bit and continued on. Didn't get a good look but it didn't appear to be running light when it left the station. But 1600 hrs is WAY before Zebra time on the Eastern Div especially at ENY so Im thinking that was just a set put into (J) service that still had its (Z) signs and there wasn't time to change...there were two trains that got 006'd that day, one was having brake pressure problems I forget what the other's story was, so Im thinking that was just a "replacement", not a R42 set for use on the (Z)...

Also that's why I was wondering the car numbers if it was any of those two sets that got taken off the road making their way up to 207th for last rites..

They ONLY R42's that are getting scrapped for the time being (the Chambers Street cars are already sleeping with the fishes) are the CI Rebuilds.

They have 4 more 8 car Units at Concourse Yard waiting for thier turn...

They ONLY R42's that are getting scrapped for the time being (the Chambers Street cars are already sleeping with the fishes) are the CI Rebuilds.

They have 4 more 8 car Units at Concourse Yard waiting for thier turn...

No, another full 8-car set came out the IND tunnel yesterday morning. Plus, more cars beside the Chambers have been already scrapped.

To SubwayGuy, I was in a rush so I couldn't make out the numbers but it was definitely a CI Rebuilt.

HA! Go for it...see if you can get one up to Branford...I'll be waiting there to operate it...

:D

The R42s dont run in single car sets.So they cant send one to branford they need single car sets like the R62 R62A and the R68/A before they got rebuit.The R42s run in 2 car pairs and branford only likes single car sets....

I think if somebody had the money.They would make an subway car museum slimar to the one at branford.But in long island and would be able to have married paired subway cars.And guess would be able to operate them.And would have the following cars.

Restored R27/30s five car set

Redbirds also an five car set

French conntion R42s pair

A pair of R40 slants

a pair of low Vs

A pair of arnies

A pair of R10s

And path PA1 PA2 PA3 and PA4s once the PA5s come

LIRR M1s

Metro north M2s once they get retired

And them old MBTA blue line cars

I think that would be an great museum.With a lots to see and it would have an five mile track that goes though long island.

No, another full 8-car set came out the IND tunnel yesterday morning. Plus, more cars beside the Chambers have been already scrapped.

To SubwayGuy, I was in a rush so I couldn't make out the numbers but it was definitely a CI Rebuilt.

Um the Chambers street werck wasnt a CI rebuild...

ONLY CI rebuilds with the R42's are getting reefed right now.

Thats what i meant i know other cars have gotten scraped, NorthEastern Pulled my coat when he seen the barge at 207 street yard loading up.

I guess the MTA wouldn't be so keen as to ship a set of R42s down to KY via flatbed or rails, would they? It would be awesome to have my own small subway, but I'd have to have a fair bit of money, seeing as the MTA wouldn't just send it to me because it's cheaper than scrapping and dumping, right? (yes, I'm being kinda serious, like the kind of serious you are when you know something is improbable, but you'd love to try anyway).

Um the Chambers street werck wasnt a CI rebuild...

ONLY CI rebuilds with the R42's are getting reefed right now.

Thats what i meant i know other cars have gotten scraped, NorthEastern Pulled my coat when he seen the barge at 207 street yard loading up.

In that case it definitely wasn't the set I saw get double o sixed as that was an MK set, thanks for the info. Don't know about that other set i mentioned as I don't have any car #'s in my book for it...

The (Z) is the only line I haven't yet been on. I've got some free time this Wednesday afternoon; I'm thinking I'll go railfanning on it.

Good luck. FYI There's only 6 Zebras in the PM, they leave BRD every 10 minutes between 1655 and 1745, fumigate at Parsons then deadhead back to the yard...

Archived