Anyone taking test #8006 Bus Operator

Chris Frusci

oh 1 thing about a that question it`s about if the bus is parked on a hill if u the answer turn your whells towards the curb but would that have a chance if a bus rolls over the curb some how hit a pedstrean i think on this one it`s keep your wheels stright because if the breaks fall it will hit a parked car

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

question 4 i need to know about that because i asked that question to the bus driver and the chocies he said keep wheels stright because if u turn ur wheels towards the curb woudn`t that have a chance of a bus rolling over the curb and hitting the pedstrien so but if you keep your wheels stright wouldn`t that hit a parked car if the wheels on the bus were turned stright and breaks falled let me know on this one:confused:

question 4 i need to know about that because i asked that question to the bus driver and the chocies he said keep wheels stright because if u turn ur wheels towards the curb woudn`t that have a chance of a bus rolling over the curb and hitting the pedstrien so but if you keep your wheels stright wouldn`t that hit a parked car if the wheels on the bus were turned stright and breaks falled let me know on this one:confused:

Turn your wheels toward the curb, when parked on a hill facing down hill. Park on a hill facing uphill, turn away from the curb. The curb acts as a wheel chock. The bus will not go over the sidewalk, unless the sidewalk is one of those super low ones. In this case park elsewhere........

Turn your wheels toward the curb, when parked on a hill facing down hill. Park on a hill facing uphill, turn away from the curb. The curb acts as a wheel chock. The bus will not go over the sidewalk, unless the sidewalk is one of those super low ones. In this case park elsewhere........

DOB you are the man! Agreed. Igor, taking a self study cdl permit course would help you ALOT. Go to AAAA driving school on richmond avenue near amboy road. Ask for the self study course. Its 75 bucks, but it will help you.

so buy next week i should get a card in the mail tell me the time and location to go and take the test. yay i`m exitied

Around April 9th we should be getting our admission cards for the test,have your number 2 pencils sharpened with a clean eraser heads ready. I hope the weather is nice on that day in case we have to wait outside the building until they let us in. Good luck to us all.

They let you bring a calculator inside? I didn't know that was allowed. I know no cell phones right? My phone(t-mobile mda has a calculator)...so I guess a pocket calculator will do,a lot faster than pencil and paper.

Chris,how long did you have to wait before they let you in? I don't mean the time you got there,say for example the test is at 1:00pm,at that time were you still waiting outside or did they open the doors to let everybody in.

Hey Chris..

I have a question if you don't mind.. also whoever might know as well. I'm taking the test next month for bus operator. I have the Passbook series Prep study guide for the Bus Operator. If anyone has seen this "updated" book, why would i have to read about making change and fares being $.90.. Obviously this shouldn't be in this book if a driver don't have to do these things anymore. What actually do I need to be concerned with for the test. I've seen some of the posts, and you guys are awesome. I saw a couple of questions as well.. and help is appreciated. I'm really hoping to do well and be part of the big hiring that I've heard about, especially if you get the 20yrs and out..

Thanks, Fred (fdbguy)

oh and i did get into a car accdent i hit a tree what happened was i was at a stop sign i stoped i started driving and i ran rover a nail and my tire poped i lost control and hit a tree so now i`m thinking if this will effect my chance of getting hired with the mta

oh and i did get into a car accdent i hit a tree what happened was i was at a stop sign i stoped i started driving and i ran rover a nail and my tire poped i lost control and hit a tree so now i`m thinking if this will effect my chance of getting hired with the mta

No it won't. But you do have to fill it out, if a police report was made. It also depends on how long ago it was.

FRED (FDBGUY): If you score high, you will be apart of the mass hiring. Now here is what you need to know- those 5 questions I posted up are dmv permit questions (most are cdl permit questions), and general knowledge of places in NYC. Go to your nearest dmv and take a SELF STUDY CDL PERMIT COURSE. Fred you have to do this to gain more knowlesge of driving a bus. They take alot of cdl permit questions and put them on the bus operator exam. Thats why I have said to others "study a cdl permit book".

Go to your nearest dmv, they should have old vhs videos on the cdl permit exam. You need to watch ONLY the videos that pertain to becoming a bus driver. Watch the GENERAL KNOWLEDGE VIDEO, the AIR BRAKES VIDEO, and also the PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT VIDEO. They might all be in one video, but three different parts. Then go to dmv and get your permit. If you want it bad enough, you will get it.

ALso, just out of curiousity, do you live in Staten Island? I gave some woman on the bus the other day and transfer card and it had this website written down. She said her son was taking the test. She said he was 25. So I took a transfer out and I wrote "www.nyctransitforums.com" on it. that would be funny if that was your mom.

NAMM: If a police report was written up, then the DMV knows about it. If you hit the person in front of you, and they said "oh don't worry about it. Just give me your number and we will settle it without going through insurance", then the dmv does NOT know about it. If the police were called, dmv knows.

Do you have to report accidents if there was not a ticket issued? How would they investigate an accident if the DMV would have no record of an accident on your license?

Just as Chris said, long as an accident report was written, it's on the record. You do not need to be issued a ticket (aka summons), for an accident to be on your record. They ask for your license, and write you number down on the report. That's all they do in your case. But again, if the report made, it's on your record.

FRED (FDBGUY): If you score high, you will be apart of the mass hiring. Now here is what you need to know- those 5 questions I posted up are dmv permit questions (most are cdl permit questions), and general knowledge of places in NYC. Go to your nearest dmv and take a SELF STUDY CDL PERMIT COURSE. Fred you have to do this to gain more knowlesge of driving a bus. They take alot of cdl permit questions and put them on the bus operator exam. Thats why I have said to others "study a cdl permit book".

Go to your nearest dmv, they should have old vhs videos on the cdl permit exam. You need to watch ONLY the videos that pertain to becoming a bus driver. Watch the GENERAL KNOWLEDGE VIDEO, the AIR BRAKES VIDEO, and also the PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT VIDEO. They might all be in one video, but three different parts. Then go to dmv and get your permit. If you want it bad enough, you will get it.

ALso, just out of curiousity, do you live in Staten Island? I gave some woman on the bus the other day and transfer card and it had this website written down. She said her son was taking the test. She said he was 25. So I took a transfer out and I wrote "www.nyctransitforums.com" on it. that would be funny if that was your mom.

NAMM: If a police report was written up, then the DMV knows about it. If you hit the person in front of you, and they said "oh don't worry about it. Just give me your number and we will settle it without going through insurance", then the dmv does NOT know about it. If the police were called, dmv knows.

Thanks for the reply Chris.. I'm 50 this year, it was NOT my Mom. She should rest in peace.. i'm sure she got a chuckle on that one..

I have the CDL permit book that I read a few times, especially when failing 2 of 3 parts the first time. Banged it out better than expected the 2nd time, DMV computers spit out a different test each time.

Anyway thanks for the help.. I hope there are alot of questions similar to the book I have from the store on Worth St..

FDB

FDBGUY: I went to the store on worth st. The ladies in there are very nice, and I certainly do not want to persuade people from getting their books from there, but the ARCO bus operator book was nothing like the test. You are doing the right thing by picking up that cdl permit book.

If you can afford it, take the self study course and watch those videos. If you have anymore questions please ask. Thats what we are here for.

Are you retired from another job?

Hey Chris,

Not retired, my Wall st job "retired" me after 25 yrs.. that's why I'm here, looking for something more secure and bennies... tough out there as you know.

The book I got from the store wasn't ARco, Barnes and Noble told me that one is out of print. It is called Bus Operator from National Learning. Hopefully it's most of what the test is like.

Thanks again Chris..

FDB: Just remember it has to be New York oriented. Different states have different driving rules. For example, in NYC you are allowed to park up to 1 foot away from the curb. In California, the curbs are painted a certain color which will determine how far you can park away from the curb.

On the test, they will also ask NYC points of interest. Parks, landmarks etc. SO if the book is correct, that information should be in the book.

If I had to break down the exam, I would say its about 24 questions of cdl and basic driving knowledge. 24 questions on common sense. 10 questions on points of interest, and the rest are just reading comprehention and miscelleneous questions. Like questions where they give you a map on you have to map out a certain route. Its those 24 driving (cdl) questions where I got my 11 wrong. I remember the first part of the test was the cdl questions. So when I checked my answers 4 weeks later, I noticed all 11 I got wrong were within the first 25 questions. Then the rest of the test was fine. So if I would have studied a cdl manuel, my list number would have been in the top 50, not the top 800.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this under but just a reminder that the Pope will be in Manhattan on April 19th,the same day as the exam #8006. He will be going to Yankee Stadium on Sunday,April 2Oth also going to St,Joe's Seminary in Yonkers. Appearing at the United Nations as well. I would figure that he would be staying somewhere on the East Side of Manhattan. Something to think about since this would affect travel around certain parts of Manhattan. The Pope will not visit Queens,Brooklyn or Staten Island.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this under but just a reminder that the Pope will be in Manhattan on April 19th,the same day as the exam #8006. He will be going to Yankee Stadium on Sunday,April 2Oth also going to St,Joe's Seminary in Yonkers. Appearing at the United Nations as well. I would figure that he would be staying somewhere on the East Side of Manhattan. Something to think about since this would affect travel around certain parts of Manhattan. The Pope will not visit Queens,Brooklyn or Staten Island.

Great info, Loco69... Thanks. I think I may have seen postings out here but should there be mail pretty soon about the exact location and time of the test? I believe I remember seeing Livingston St, but it's no issue wherever it has to be. Also, to your best knowledge, how early can you get there before the actual test.. Will they let you in to wait? I'm an early starter usually so I'd not have a problem if it's early. Thanks guys...

P.S. Hey Chris, how ya been??

FDBGUY: Ive been great, thanks. How about yourself? When your wall st job retired you, did they atleast give you a buyout? Not to get into your business, but I know they usually do that. They will hand you a check for 50 grand and say "thanks for the 25 years of service now get the hell out".

Also remember one very important thing, you are going to see the other side of society once you start the job. You were in a world with educated businessman. Well, welcome to the world of undeducated bus drivers. Not all are uneducated. I have my associetes degree in criminal psychology. Its not much, there are drivers with actual bachelors degrees. I feel like I'm in the middle. I can mingle with the educated, and "hang with the boys" as some would say.

Either way I never feel like I am above anyone, and I'm sure you feel tthe same way. By me saying this, I know you will not think your above anyone, you don't have that personality. If you did, you would think its "below" you to take the test. Just watch when you start. It will be a little interesting.

Instead of quotas and spreadsheets by lunchtime, it's playing pool and talking about woman on your swingtime. Instead of making over 100k for working till you get yourself sick, its 60k-90k for driving and talking to people.

Someone in my depot told me something very funny and I will quote him. "Sanitation and driving a bus are very similar, except the trash on that truck doesn't talk".

Archived