Stopped by MTA Police Yesterday at Jamaica

R68 Subway Car

As I was taking my photos at Jamaica yesterday, a few MTA police officers stopped me and questioned me for taking photos. I told them that it was legal to take photos of train so long as equipment such as flashes and tripods are not used. They then told me that the problem with my photos that it had train tracks in them and it could be used by terrorist to plan attacks. I said that was bogus that taking photos of trains with tracks would lead to terrorists planning to attack the LIRR at Jamaica. They then asked me for my info and they let me go.

Don't mind them. Alot of them don't know their own rules and some that do just bother you because they have nothing else to do. The other day they were patrolling Croton Park. Now tell me that isn't dumb. But just keep it cool and write down badge numbers and remember the time, date, place, and what they say to you and email the MTA about it. I email them several times and they know me very well (Metro North wise) But also remember that they do have the right to ask what you are doing, but they do not have the right to be rude or tell you to go away unless you are endangering yourself or others which I know you weren't. Anyway I should be receiving a written letter from the manager of customer service of he railroads and as soon as I get it I will post it.

This is why when I fan Railroads, i dont go to Major Stations. If i ever get stopped at an MNCRR/LIRR station id email the t/a and request a letter stating photography is legal.

Why in the world would you email the TA if you were stopped on MN or LIRR property?

*Sigh* Another one of these threads....

Well look, as long as you weren't in the wrong, just brush it off. If they weren't disrespectful to you then don't worry about it. Face it, it's inevitable, cops are always going to be there to break balls, but as long as you know how to handle the situation accordingly then you're in the clear.

Why in the world would you email the TA if you were stopped on MN or LIRR property?

Because you can email them and request a legitimate letter from the t/a to show a cop in the future that its legal to take pixs...

T/a as in (MTA) i mean.

I know someone who did it and it helped.

*Sigh* Another one of these threads....

Well look, as long as you weren't in the wrong, just brush it off. If they weren't disrespectful to you then don't worry about it. Face it, it's inevitable, cops are always going to be there to break balls, but as long as you know how to handle the situation accordingly then you're in the clear.

Agreed, i wouldn't allow just a "Stop taking pixs becuz its terrorist act" stop me from taking pixs. Ill stop taking it there and go. And keep taking pictures as well in another location. Of course if its an a9shole cop, then I would complaint to the (MTA) depending on how it went.

I've never fanned before but I would have said I'm a tourist waiting for my train, now if you don't mind you're in the way of my shot.

Tourist or not, it wouldn't help as much, even tourist in this damn city gets into problems bro.

Another one of them threads. Anyways I had a hitch with a cop @ Queens Plaza on the day the (M) started going to Forest Hills and as I took a pic of the (E) the cop ask what I was doing. I was like "im obviously im taking pics". However I said it in a nice way. He went on telling me a story that Queens Plaza is a sensitive area and thats the reason why he was there. I told him thats cool and your just doing your job and I respect that. He said have a nice day and I said do the same and continued taking pics.

Long story short if you handel the situation correctly and dont act like an idiot, the cop will be out of your way in a matter of mins with out even asking for info.

Keep in mind the moment you get smart with a cop they assume something is wrong and they will ask you for your info and call it in and check for warrants. One of my childhood friends dad is a cop. Lemme tell you something when them cops approch you they have no idea whats going to happen, for all they know that camera could be a bomb and from a distance taking a pic at the end of the platform where no one is at does look shady.

You have to keep in mind these guys have a job to do and you have to respect that. I wouldnt like it if someone told me why do I drive buses. But its how you handel the situation. You can either act like a fool or act like a calm mature human being.

This is a little off topic but does the more tickets an officer gives out builds up their rank or something? My cousin spent seven hours in court today because an officer gave him a ticket because he was riding his bike from the sidewalk onto the street. Its not like he was going to ride it on the sidewalk, he just came out the store (in whiched he worked in) and was heading toward the street as he was on his bike. Now thats insane!

This is a little off topic but does the more tickets an officer gives out builds up their rank or something? My cousin spent seven hours in court today because an officer gave him a ticket because he was riding his bike from the sidewalk onto the street. Its not like he was going to ride it on the sidewalk, he just came out the store (in whiched he worked in) and was heading toward the street as he was on his bike. Now that insane!

There are alot of things out there that doesnt warrant a ticket but a fresh cop will deff give you a ticket for the most silly sh!t. Like I once got a ticket because i turned to fast and it was a young cop. The older cops wont give bullsh!t tickets. Its the young ones, and yes the more tickets cops give out the more it builds there ranks. However there is talk I hear that they have to meet a quota.

There are alot of things out there that doesnt warrant a ticket but a fresh cop will deff give you a ticket for the most silly sh!t. Like I once got a ticket because i turned to fast and it was a young cop. The older cops wont give bullsh!t tickets. Its the young ones, and yes the more tickets cops give out the more it builds there ranks. However there is talk I hear that they have to meet a quota.

Yeah there is a quota. Cops will do anything to break balls, even for the littlest things. Hell if the cop is in a pissed mood then even the slightest wrong turn will equal a slap with a ticket. So word of advice: don't piss off the 5-0!

Long story short if you handel the situation correctly and dont act like an idiot, the cop will be out of your way in a matter of mins with out even asking for info.

Thats the problem some of these "railfans" act too high and mighty even when the cop is wrong which leads to drama...

None of em will admit that thier "attitude" was the cause of the problem but will say "oh i was just taking pictures"...

Agreed, i wouldn't allow just a "Stop taking pixs becuz its terrorist act" stop me from taking pixs. Ill stop taking it there and go. And keep taking pictures as well in another location. Of course if its an a9shole cop, then I would complaint to the (MTA) depending on how it went.

If it's Railroads, then go to the MTA. If it's the subway, go to the NYPD. Either way, get their badge number if necessary. Other than that I'd just go about my own way and forget about it.

If it's Railroads, then go to the MTA. If it's the subway, go to the NYPD. Either way, get their badge number if necessary. Other than that I'd just go about my own way and forget about it.

I was stopped once in Bethpage station, the cop didnt even get out of the car he just yelled "scuse me, no photos on the platform" from his car. I didnt care becasue ive taken photos at bethpage before and i could have easily just walked to the far end of the platform away from the street where he couldnt see me.

I heard why too many stories like this. I'm going to make noise at MTA because I think use railfans are sick of this. Ok, photogrpahy is legal. Why the hell do they still give us static? Didn't they learn with the TA employee who was arrested and sued the city $35 Million. or was it 3.5?

I heard why too many stories like this. I'm going to make noise at MTA because I think use railfans are sick of this. Ok, photogrpahy is legal. Why the hell do they still give us static? Didn't they learn with the TA employee who was arrested and sued the city $35 Million. or was it 3.5?

Its not the railfans. Its the FAILFANS who think they deserve special treatment and think they should be blind to not being stopped so they can get a shot of some 160. The RAILFANS are the one who are in it for a hobby as something extra to do and waste free time and just like photography in general.

FAILFANS make RAILFANS look bad. Its a reason why FAILFANS have no females in there life.

This is the result of FAILFANS: Prime Example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWS5dyKvoIw

NOw if a MTA employee actually let them in the cab dont you think they would have been in there with them. And they gave up there self by saying "get away from the door before someone sees us".

Its not the railfans. Its the FAILFANS who think they deserve special treatment and think they should be blind to not being stopped so they can get a shot of some 160. The RAILFANS are the one who are in it for a hobby as something extra to do and waste free time and just like photography in general.

FAILFANS make RAILFANS look bad. Its a reason why FAILFANS have no females in there life.

NOw if a MTA employee actually let them in the cab dont you think they would have been in there with them. And they gave up there self by saying "get away from the door before someone sees us".

Complete Idiots!!

Ah yes i do remember that. The uploader is an idiot and a damn foamer. He makes all the RAILFANS look bad for his illegal action in that cab... ITS RESTRICTED! Same for a few out there as well.

Now THAT deserves Police action.

Well stated DeAndre, about the QP and the (E) train post. Respect the cops even if they are wrong cuz one f'up, and they got an excuse to break balls.

Answer them respectfully and hope they let you go with just a warning.

Respect the cops even if they are wrong?HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Cops or anyone for that matter that have no idea what they're doing or do and just want to be nutcrackers don't DESERVE respect.They deserve to go back to grade school to learn the basics.

Respect the cops even if they are wrong?HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Cops or anyone for that matter that have no idea what they're doing or do and just want to be nutcrackers don't DESERVE respect.They deserve to go back to grade school to learn the basics.

Whoa Whoa Whoa buddy....I stated give them respect no where did I say I respect them. I said I respect that they have a job to do and that I respect. I believe cops are dirty however Mr.Big shot why act stupid in something as simple as taking a photo. Why waste taxpayers money to go to court when all you have to do is act like a human and the situation is solved. There is no need to look like a fool and argue with a cop. Now if the cop does soemthing out of nature then by all means take legal action. There isnt a lie a cop cant get thereself out of.

Archived