"You only have 2 minutes!!" Now what??

East New York

I would like to know what you would say if you were the Orion executive in this position:

When Orion lost the CNG bid to New Flyer, they were informed of the decision, and also told to give feedback on how they felt about the decision. But they only have 2 minutes to talk! What would you say?

I'd say---as shown by the over 3,200 buses that we have delivered to the MTA (bought by them or operated fresh from the factory) over the past 18 years, we build a pretty strong product. We simply got beaten out on this order by a lower bid (New Flyer did indeed outbid the MTA).

What else is there to say?

I'd say---as shown by the over 3,200 buses that we have delivered to the MTA (bought by them or operated fresh from the factory) over the past 18 years, we build a pretty strong product. We simply got beaten out on this order by a lower bid (New Flyer did indeed outbid the MTA).

What else is there to say?

Strong product? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Strong product? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

The NG's are not strong at All

Orion: We would like to thank you the MTA for buying our cheap no good fire cacthing Orion VII Nex Gens that looks like a Vertex pad that women wear when they are on their month, We would like to say thank you for buying 100 of our CNG NG that sounds like Big Foot Moaning like he's going to bust a Nut, We would like to thank the (MTA) for this bid but we will win the next round, We like to sell our buses that are bulit out of plastic and Glue for 500,000.

The NG's are not strong at All

Orion: We would like to thank you the MTA for buying our cheap no good fire cacthing Orion VII Nex Gens that looks like a Vertex pad that women wear when they are on their month, We would like to say thank you for buying 100 of our CNG NG that sounds like Big Foot Moaning like he's going to bust a Nut, We would like to thank the (MTA) for this bid but we will win the next round, We like to sell our buses that are bulit out of plastic and Glue for 500,000.

Vertex pad? LOL, there's no such thing but I get the point.

This may actually make Orion step their game up. The way things are looking now, they may go head to head with NF for many future bids to come.

I would say: I would like to first say that I am disappointed in your decision to go with New Flyer. We will not protest the decision. But that being said, you all do have more than 3000 of our buses, and New Flyer worked tirelessly to ensure the bid was just right. Even though the final numbers were EXTREMELY close, New Flyer deserves it, and we look forward to doing business with you again soon.

I will tell you all what they really said, as soon as they address the board, which I think is tomorrow. I forgot already! There is too much going on right now in the MTA world! I got more shockers coming tomorrow as well!

Big deal....

Orion needs to worried about MTA next next contract for that diesel order comming soon. It was a small setback and its been blown out proportion in this forum alone. Orion experience lots of times with this loss, they can deal with it.

This may actually make Orion step their game up. The way things are looking now, they may go head to head with NF for many future bids to come.

I would say: I would like to first say that I am disappointed in your decision to go with New Flyer. We will not protest the decision. But that being said, you all do have more than 3000 of our buses, and New Flyer worked tirelessly to ensure the bid was just right. Even though the final numbers were EXTREMELY close, New Flyer deserves it, and we look forward to doing business with you again soon.

I will tell you all what they really said, as soon as they address the board, which I think is tomorrow. I forgot already! There is too much going on right now in the MTA world! I got more shockers coming tomorrow as well!

I think actually that it will be three vendors bidding in the future: New Flyer, Orion, and Nova...especially if the MTA is going back to ordering straight diesel rigids.

Now if only New Flyer could build a good articulated bus, because next year or 2012, the MTA will have to issue an RFP for new artics. No one expected that the LFSAs would be replacements.

I think actually that it will be three vendors bidding in the future: New Flyer, Orion, and Nova...especially if the MTA is going back to ordering straight diesel rigids.

Now if only New Flyer could build a good articulated bus, because next year or 2012, the MTA will have to issue an RFP for new artics. No one expected that the LFSAs would be replacements.

You hit it on the nail. I agree 100%

What shocker

Dear MTA,

We are extremely disappointed at the fact that we weren't able to provide you with more of our Next Gen piece of crap, due to the fact that ever since we stopped the Orion 5 our buses have been built like toddlers. That being said, we didn't deserve to win that contract in the first place. New Flyer is 10000000x better than us!!! I guess if we didn't stop our production line of Orion 5s then we would still be your bitch. Good luck with New Flyer and their wonderful CNGs they'll build for you, time to find another transit agency to make us their bitch.

Sincerely,

Diamler Buses of North America/Orion

So here it is. Orion presented their case in front of the MTA, and the s*** is about to hit the fan! Basicly, they said that they are not disputing the award going to New Flyer at all, and the MDBF record for the Orion VII speaks for itself. The Chief Marketing Officer (Orion) is so dissapointed that he is thinking of not even sending an Orion VII 3G to the TA. Orion will also sit in on the board meeting tomorrow (7/28/07). A committee member asked this, "How can I vote for New Flyer and they don't even have a facility in New York?" But, in all actuallity, the order will stick. New Flyer offered the lowest bid, so MTA has no choice but to award them the contract. And the saga continues...... I will have an update on the board meeting outcome on Thursday the 29th.

So here it is. Orion presented their case in front of the MTA, and the s*** is about to hit the fan! Basicly, they said that they are not disputing the award going to New Flyer at all, and the MDBF record for the Orion VII speaks for itself. The Chief Marketing Officer (Orion) is so dissapointed that he is thinking of not even sending an Orion VII 3G to the TA. Orion will also sit in on the board meeting tomorrow (7/28/07). A committee member asked this, "How can I vote for New Flyer and they don't even have a facility in New York?" But, in all actuallity, the order will stick. New Flyer offered the lowest bid, so MTA has no choice but to award them the contract. And the saga continues...... I will have an update on the board meeting outcome on Thursday the 29th.

Isn't Orion being a little ridiculous and over-dramatic here?

Isn't Orion being a little ridiculous and over-dramatic here?

Of course they are! But wouldn't you be as well if you were Orion Brass?? Think of it from their shoes. You go with our archrival, and you think we shouldn't be upset??? ok, sure they won fair and square, but that doesn't change our feelings about the whole situation!

Of course they are! But wouldn't you be as well if you were Orion Brass?? Think of it from their shoes. You go with our archrival, and you think we shouldn't be upset??? ok, sure they won fair and square, but that doesn't change our feelings about the whole situation!

True, but it does say something when the head of Orion wants to damage a pretty good relationship with the (MTA) by not demo testing the 3G here because of a bid the (MTA) legally had to take. Though I do understand Onion's pain.

And when I read that MDBF statement, I fell on the floor laughing.

True, but it does say something when the head of Orion wants to damage a pretty good relationship with the (MTA) by not demo testing the 3G here because of a bid the (MTA) legally had to take. Though I do understand Onion's pain.

And when I read that MDBF statement, I fell on the floor laughing.

You can't really take what he said seriously. They have 3G's coming soon anyway. He's just "dealing in feelings" and talking out the side of his neck right now because he's upset about the decision, and they will have to scale down productions on the O7 in 2011. But I really can't blame him. I would feel the same way. You can't blame him for wanting the company that pays his bills to come out on top.

If I were Orion...I wouldn't give a rats ass. It's not like prospective customers are going to come to New York and say "Oh there's no recent Orions here, we'll take our business elsewhere". These type of situations happens all the time in manufacturing. The truth is a order of 135 buses (and even if they exercise all options)is not going to put a dent in Orion's position here. They already have a working relationship with the MTA (example, largest hybrid fleet development) and that is always a good thing to have, regardless of how solid said relationship is.

If I were Orion...I wouldn't give a rats ass. It's not like prospective customers are going to come to New York and say "Oh there's no recent Orions here, we'll take our business elsewhere". These type of situations happens all the time in manufacturing. The truth is a order of 135 buses (and even if they exercise all options)is not going to put a dent in Orion's position here. They already have a working relationship with the MTA (example, largest hybrid fleet development) and that is always a good thing to have, regardless of how solid said relationship is.

True, but........ A $62 Million order is not going to put a dent in somebody's operations??? You need to hook me up with your accountant ASAP!

True, but........ A $62 Million order is not going to put a dent in somebody's operations??? You need to hook me up with your accountant ASAP!

No, because they will bid on other orders to fill that production space. The DBNA unit had sales of roughly $600 Million in 2009 and if you want to go even further, we can look at the cash flow that Daimler provides. So no, losing a MTA contract worth 62 Million is not going to put a dent in operations because it can be filled with other orders.

Archived