Waiting for the Q35

Calvin

Of all the routes to wait on Flatbush Av, the Q35 is one of the hardest to wait. When I got off a CNG B100 at Fillmore Av and go to the Av.S Stop to go to Aviator Fields, i was waiting for the Q35 and its not like 12 minutes, it took like 30 minutes. The Q35 #3751 was at Av.S going to Brklyn College at 5;50PM and after waiting for like 20 minutes, it was 6;10PM and i got 3751.Also, the Q35 i was on is very crowded with no extra Q35 to Rockaway park.

So, my whole statement is that:Is the Q35 like a 20 minute wait everyday now?

That's reason why I don't like to ride Q35 to much, but even thought it is scenic. I never rode Q35 during crowded hours.

Was last year when there was (MTA) Bus Rodeo?

Enroute to bus rodeo, it was long wait for Q35 because I did not know where (S) Bus will stop since it was my first time, and I had to take Q35 to Rodeo, where nice B/O on Rodeo Bus pickup us going to pickup location, then going back to Rodeo.

Usually it was every 15min. I guess it is possible it is every 20min. Either way I don't count on the Q35 much anymore. I'll stick with the B41.

I think riding the Q35 cost me an extra fare when I tried the 3-leg fare [Q35-B6-B46]. With the B41, I never had any problems, but with the q35, I think the B46 took an extra fare. Never again with the Q35.

Usually it was every 15min. I guess it is possible it is every 20min. Either way I don't count on the Q35 much anymore. I'll stick with the B41.

I think riding the Q35 cost me an extra fare when I tried the 3-leg fare [Q35-B6-B46]. With the B41, I never had any problems, but with the q35, I think the B46 took an extra fare. Never again with the Q35.

Unless it was a service cut, the Q35 I think is supposed to run every 15 minutes or less every day except for late evenings i.e after 10pm weekdays, and 9pm weekends. It only supposed to have 20-minute from my memory of looking at the MTA website early Sunday Mornings between 6am-10am and late evenings usually 10pm-Midnight.

Overnights the Q35 unless there was a cut runs every 60-70 minutes. If Q35 headways was indeed cut, then (MTA) Bus management should have return having the Q35 run as a Flatbush Ave 'express' instead as a ' Limited' in the days of Green Bus lines. If an express If i remember right, the Q35 in Brooklyn stopped only at Floyd Bennet Field, the "Toyz R US' Avenue U/Kings Plaza, Kings Highway and the Flatbush/Nostrand (2)(5) station. Late Nights the Q35 can make all stops along Flatbush.

Of all the routes to wait on Flatbush Av, the Q35 is one of the hardest to wait. When I got off a CNG B100 at Fillmore Av and go to the Av.S Stop to go to Aviator Fields, i was waiting for the Q35 and its not like 12 minutes, it took like 30 minutes. The Q35 #3751 was at Av.S going to Brklyn College at 5;50PM and after waiting for like 20 minutes, it was 6;10PM and i got 3751.Also, the Q35 i was on is very crowded with no extra Q35 to Rockaway park.

So, my whole statement is that:Is the Q35 like a 20 minute wait everyday now?

after around 5/6pm on a weekday, waiting for the Q35 over there on newport/beach 116th is worse...

nothin like seeing 3 parked buses at the terminal.... and the following happens...

1- after a considerable crowd has piled up, the first bus powers on like 7-10 mins afterwards... that bus goes OOS...

2- 2nd bus powers on 3-5 mins after that...

looking at the destination sign, you see "Q35".. (most likely this bus originally pulled in as a 35)

riders get a feeling of "damn, finally..."

....only to see it turn into a Q21, leaving the terminal with about 2 people...

{this is the part I hate the most, especially after having coming off a nice QM16 ride}

3- a Q35 coming from brooklyn arrives right after ^^

(so now there's 2 buses at the terminal)

4- after a 10 min wait, another Q35 coming from brooklyn arrives

5- that first bus coming from brooklyn ("3-" in this case) powers on & goes OOS

(most likely, back to the depot)

6- about 5-7 mins after that, a Q35 heading to brooklyn pulls up (often in the middle of the street, as opposed to the curbside) taking on 25+ people...

basically, this bus is usually that 3rd bus that never pulled off originally....

after the bus that myself (and all the waiting passengers) board, there's almost always 1 bus left at the terminal....

I'm as descriptive about this b/c this has happened as many times as I can count on two hands & feet... when I regularly used to take the QM16 to the Q35, this was the common scenario that took place, just in waiting to get back to brooklyn.... I used to get to b. 116th around 7:15-7:30 ish

Waiting for a Q35 back to Queens... that's frustrating in its own right, b/c you see a handful of B103's & a-thousand-and-one B41's, but you feel somewhat at ease waiting at that stop @ flatbush/av H when you see a Q35 coming from queens, making that left turn onto av H....

^^ that said... adding on, waiting for a Q35 mid-route has always been frustrating...

The total of Far Rockaway Depot Orion VII OG is like 50.

Waiting for 1 Q35 is like a 5% wait. So instead i took the B41 or B9 to Kings Plaza then walk to Aviator as the exercise. Mostly form what i saw, i think only 10 Orion VII OG run as a Q35. Most passengers at Flatbush Av uses the B9/41/46.

yup... that's why the B9 gets the crowd that it gets at kings plaza.... they don't want to cross av. U, then to have to wait for the Q35, and they don't want to sardine their way onto a B41, where the 9 takes them to the same points along flatbush b/w kings plaza itself, and kings hwy....

anyway, the one thing you don't have to worry about, is a Q35 parking along nostrand (north of flatbush), or over on glenwood, just to get to the stop on av H, heading back to Queens.... that used to take like 5 mins. alone, having to deal with the congestion on those intersections (glenwood/nostrand, glenwood/flatbush)....

that's why I'm glad they changed the turnaround scenario for the route... now it pulls up around the corner from the B44... that move benefitted brooklyn passengers as well as queens passengers (b/c all the bus has to do now is make a quick right on nostrand, and a quick right on flatbush...

but believe me, I hear you, regarding the waits for the Q35

Although, Q35 is the only route in Flatbush that goes down the Flatbush Av Speedway.

Also:

1) Few Years ago, Orion VII OG 3575-3599 was running as a Q35, idk why they switched the B100 fleet gave 3524-3549 to the Q35 and B100 got the Q35 fleet using 3575-3599?

2) Also, why did 3550-3555 went to Far Rockaway from JFK and LGA 3742-3748 to the Q35?

Although, Q35 is the only route in Flatbush that goes down the Flatbush Av Speedway.

Also:

1) Few Years ago, Orion VII OG 3575-3599 was running as a Q35, idk why they switched the B100 fleet gave 3524-3549 to the Q35 and B100 got the Q35 fleet using 3575-3599?

2) Also, why did 3550-3555 went to Far Rockaway from JFK and LGA 3742-3748 to the Q35?

1) The swap between 3575-3599 to Spring Creek and 3524-3549 to Far Rockaway due to mileage factors.

2) 3550-3555 went to Far Rockaway to replace the remaining TMC RTS buses they had. 3742-3748 went there because the Q21 has more runs and now has the majority of the Q11 runs.

1) The swap between 3575-3599 to Spring Creek and 3524-3549 to Far Rockaway due to mileage factors.

2) 3550-3555 went to Far Rockaway to replace the remaining TMC RTS buses they had. 3742-3748 went there because the Q21 has more runs and now has the majority of the Q11 runs.

3555 is at JFK, I seen it on the Q6 numerous times, its just JFK is too lazy to take the Far Rockaway Depot sticker off.

so for the Orion VII OG, what's a mileage factors?

Mileage is the main reason the majority of buses in this city are transferred between depots. If a bus is getting lots of mileage at one depot it may be sent to another depot which puts less mileage on its buses to balance things out, and vice versa.

Unless it was a service cut, the Q35 I think is supposed to run every 15 minutes or less every day except for late evenings i.e after 10pm weekdays, and 9pm weekends. It only supposed to have 20-minute from my memory of looking at the MTA website early Sunday Mornings between 6am-10am and late evenings usually 10pm-Midnight.

Overnights the Q35 unless there was a cut runs every 60-70 minutes. If Q35 headways was indeed cut, then (MTA) Bus management should have return having the Q35 run as a Flatbush Ave 'express' instead as a ' Limited' in the days of Green Bus lines. If an express If i remember right, the Q35 in Brooklyn stopped only at Floyd Bennet Field, the "Toyz R US' Avenue U/Kings Plaza, Kings Highway and the Flatbush/Nostrand (2)(5) station. Late Nights the Q35 can make all stops along Flatbush.

The Q35 is actually scheduled at every 30 minutes overnight and 12-15 minutes during the day, with 20-minute headways during the evening. However, a delay could result if there is a delay in a Q21 run (the Q35 and Q21 are interlined---and there are even some Q35-Q22 interlines).

The Q35 still operates as a semi-express...the stops added to it have been Utica Avenue and Avenue P/N.

The Q35 is actually scheduled at every 30 minutes overnight and 12-15 minutes during the day, with 20-minute headways during the evening. However, a delay could result if there is a delay in a Q21 run (the Q35 and Q21 are interlined---and there are even some Q35-Q22 interlines).

The Q35 still operates as a semi-express...the stops added to it have been Utica Avenue and Avenue P/N.

Thanks for update on the Q35 headways. Up until maybe a year or two ago the overnight headways on the Q35 was every 60-70 minutes. During it's Green Bus Days and into the few years of the (MTA)takeover, it was almost the same headways i mentioned above.

Off-topic, but why does the Q35, coming from Queens, have a bus stop all the way on the far side of Avenue U? I know the bus terminal puts a restriction of where a Q35 bus stop can be placed, but there's still space to put a Q35 stop right in front of KP.

I think the the's Q35 role on Flatbush Av is confusing. Is it intended to be used for just a quick ride to Queens - or is it also supposed to be a back up to the B41 for local service? The B41 is nice and frequent, but sometimes it can get messed up :confused:

Archived