Bright blue beacons on express bus lines may violate state law

Harry

Actually, I vaguely remember this being in the news a while after the Bx12 +Select Bus Service+ started.

But anyways, now that you have buses running up and down Manhattan with the flashing blue lights, now everyone is going to notice and want it out.

IMO, the blue lights are great way to get blocking traffic out of the way as they are suppose to.

At the time, the D60HFs running the route had it flashing in a way where it could actually be confused for an emergency vehicle.

Wow. 2 years too late. Good job, observant journalists! Figures, no one would notice until the service debuted in Manhattan. Bronxites could be having seizures and no one would care.

Anyway.

There is no need for the flashy lights, I mean, it's not a magical bus. It's a Select Bus: a glorified limited. Not the most amazing thing ever...

I wonder how Pelham Parkway residents deal with the magical blue lights during the evening?

You mean the hostage lights? Oh and not all of what I said was irrelevant, just the stuff about the amber lights.

LMAO!! Yeah, those lights!

At the time, the D60HFs running the route had it flashing in a way where it could actually be confused for an emergency vehicle.

Like the one in the video on wrapping an SBS bus.

I noticed some of the Bx sbs's have an additional 'dash light' in the windshield besides the two lights next to the dest sign. They'll really have a war with the local FD's if they ever try that out here on long island. (Not that I think they would do it anyway)

Purple might work... It's growing in popularity for funeral processions but is not regulated in NYS.

Limited already works here. No need to complicate it with +selectbusservice...

To tell you the truth, it depends. Some limiteds have flaws that MTA has not bother to correct... similarity the SBS that did not correct mistakes in the first place and have not carry over to the M15.

It just a simple blue light. If you see it in your rear view mirror, then you're probably in the bus lane and probably gonna get a ticket in the mail for being there. Just move your little car out the way or its gonna turn into a tricycle lol

The fact that the government owns and operates these vehicles means that they can pretty much do as they please...whether they comply with the codes or not.

The exception would be when they operate buses interstate such as the Staten Island to Manhattan expresses via NJTP.

Wasn't there a time when TA buses used only in the City didn't even have license plates...only fleet numbers on them? I may be wrong.

It just a simple blue light. If you see it in your rear view mirror, then you're probably in the bus lane and probably gonna get a ticket in the mail for being there. Just move your little car out the way or its gonna turn into a tricycle lol

Right. I think the TA should be allowed to use the blue lights. They will warn cars that a bus is approaching behind then, and they may need to move out the way.

The fact that the government owns and operates these vehicles means that they can pretty much do as they please...whether they comply with the codes or not.

The exception would be when they operate buses interstate such as the Staten Island to Manhattan expresses via NJTP.

Wasn't there a time when TA buses used only in the City didn't even have license plates...only fleet numbers on them? I may be wrong.

I think license plates are a waste of money. Take them off all the buses that don't travel into Jersey, or recycle all the old plates off retired buses.

Right. I think the TA should be allowed to use the blue lights. They will warn cars that a bus is approaching behind then, and they may need to move out the way.

I think license plates are a waste of money. Take them off all the buses that don't travel into Jersey, or recycle all the old plates off retired buses.

Post office vehicles don't have plates at all, Marked NYPD police cars, Fire trucks. Its is dumb that all these buses have plates. Are any of these new buses getting orange plates?

Are any of these new buses getting orange plates?

No, apparently there are leftover stock piles of the old plates. Suffolk Transit's new 2010 buses on Long Island still receiving old plates. Maybe next year or two when we finally see the orange plates.

Archived