Timers Along the A line

VIP

How do you feel about the Timers along the (A) line??. I think this was discussed before briefly in other threads, so now here's your chance to dish out what you feel or provide insight as to why there are so many timers along the (A). It irritates me when I have to ride the (A) from Canal st to 59th street. The ride is so damn slow :mad: (the (E) and (C) trains normally beat the (A) to 42nd forcing me to just take the local)

How do you feel about the Timers along the (A) line??. I think this was discussed before briefly in other threads, so now here's your chance to dish out what you feel or provide insight as to why there are so many timers along the (A). It irritates me when I have to ride the (A) from Canal st to 59th street. The ride is so damn slow :mad: (the (E) and (C) trains normally beat the (A) to 42nd forcing me to just take the local)

Firstly, do u have to make your post looking like your mad? You can always use the IRT Broadway Line as the alternative.

I dont like the timers up north of 125th Street, pisses me off it takes about 6-10min just to go from 125th to 145th on the St. Nicholas (D).

Train IS fast from 59th to 125th street heading up, going down, slow down starts up when you get to 81st Street to 59th Street.

Anywhere south isn't bad.

To avoid this issue, since im in the north, i just take ether the (2) or (5) train. (5) i mainly take since its faster then the 8th avenue line trains in the north. It only takes like 8min just to go from 125th to 59th or GCT compared to the IND.

(2) would take a bit more time cuz of the Lenox Local but still perfect and non-G/o days.

If anything id just take the (D) non-stop south if im close then the (2).

why cant I express how I feel? if im a little mad, what difference does it make? I have every right to be. Im A daily rider and A tax payer. I like the way you laid out alternatives though :cool: IRT's maybe small but they are fast.

There is this 1 timer on the (A) that can and probably will clear around 45mph+ and that timer is by Franklin Av going towards Queens.Some T/O's keep it wrapped which is the best express part in Brooklyn on the (A) and some brake which pisses me off but the signal is G-Y(timer by Franklin)-G.But 50/50 the person will brake and 50/50 the T/O will keep it wrapped and come in flying in Nostrand at about 43mph+.

There was a new timer added over the weekend I believe coming into Grant Av its a 10 or 15mph(Manhattan bound)

Timer coming in Utica(Manhattan bound)

And the worst timers are going uptown on the (A) in Manhattan like said before from C-Anal St to 175th St is slow,the (C) really shines except the (A) kicks ass btwn 59th and about 116th St before the timers kick in.

Also theres this timer on the dip btwn 59 and 125 99.9% of T/O's braked but 2 weeks ago I had this T/O on the (D) and I was surprised he ran the timer no brake at all and he kept it on the post b\c if he didn't I would had heard the click(controller) and he hit 46 or 47mph going past 110th and he finally braked near 116th.

The IND used to have some of the fastest express runs since few lines at the time were built with express tracks skipping so many stations. Now safety is all the rage and the express has been defeated in the one thing it's good at—saving time. "Hey look. I'm a local! I can pick up more passengers at more stations and still get there faster than you!"

There is this 1 timer on the (A) that can and probably will clear around 45mph+ and that timer is by Franklin Av going towards Queens.Some T/O's keep it wrapped which is the best express part in Brooklyn on the (A) and some brake which pisses me off but the signal is G-Y(timer by Franklin)-G.But 50/50 the person will brake and 50/50 the T/O will keep it wrapped and come in flying in Nostrand at about 43mph+.

I know that timer, most T/Os don't even release the throttle. Now the one heading into Utica Av (Queens-bound) is necessary since its at a downgrade (the station itself dips down then comes back up). You can come in there so fast that they have this sign at Nostrand telling T/Os to break early when comming into Utica (the timers slow it down even more)

Complaing about Grade Timers here is usless in my opinion, management is going to do what they got to do to slow the trains down and thats that. Its kinda jacked if you ask me. Still we will get you to where you got to go though.

L0l thats funny. They slow em down any more then it will be almost a stand still. IMO nycs wasnt made to be fast anyways.

See I'm split on this issue. On the one hand I see why some of those timers exist and on the other hand I think instead of plaguing the system with unneccessary timers they should properly train T/Os on operating trains.

I don't ride around the system as much as I used to. However, I will continually say the timers plaguing the downtown track from Canal to Chambers St on the (2)(3) piss me off. I understand the curve is there but slowing the train down to the point where the connection to an arrived (1) train is missed is annoying.

I look at this as being safe than sorry. Maybe I don't ride the (A) or (2)(3) frequently enough to notice a difference but the express runs haven't slowed down by much.

All trains should be limited to 0 mph then. No moving trains = no accidents! There must be a balance between safety and usability and some timers are outright unnecessary.

All trains should be limited to 0 mph then. No moving trains = no accidents! There must be a balance between safety and usability and some timers are outright unnecessary.

I didn't suggest the trains go 0 mph...but you do have a point about balancing safety.

Most timers installed in the last 15 years were for safety and legal reasons. It was determined that the signal system, coupled with train speeds, was insufficient to prevent certain accidents from potentially happening. It was far cheaper to slow the trains down by governors and timers rather than re-signalling the entire system. Some of you oldtimers are correct in believing that service was faster back then. I believe that fear of the feds and the threat of ambulance chasers have a lot to do with it. After Union Square and a few rear end collisions the die was cast. Throw in the wheel detectors installed and you have a slower ride. As far as T/Os slowing down prematurely or not, when your job is at stake only the dumbest take that chance. There are many C/Rs, B/Os or cleaners out there who used to be up front.

Fulton (4)(5) northbound is another one. By rule, train must slow to 15MPH before leaving station even if it's getting a skip. It's rare to give a train a skip through that station anyway, almost every single one will make that stop. The GT10 into the station N/B is like pulling teeth during the rush hour.

The curve is beyond station limits, so the train is either doing 15 MPH by rule book (if it got a skip) or it's starting from a stop. The timers should be IN the curve, not before since the approach is safe based on making the stop or slowing to 15mph for a skip.

I just wish the rides were faster on long areas of straight track. Does the (A) do max speed on that long stretch between Howard Beach and Broad Channel; if not, why?

The only 2 timers in that whole area is the one over North Bridge (the blue one) and the one over South Bridge (the pale one, the one that actually moves). And IINM, they do top speed over there. It also depends on what car you get cuz the highest speed I've seen over there was 50 (R32) but it averages between 40-45 mph (on average). Here's a breakdown on what I've seen over there...

R32: 50

R38: 46

R40 slants: 44

R40 mods/R42: 45

R44: 43

R46: 44

Fulton (4)(5) is Station Time, train pulling out. No GT between Wall and Fulton. 15mph speed limit leaving Fulton, again no timers. In and around Brooklyn Bridge has been known as a hotspot for radar guns... The timers going into Utica (A) is cause too many T/O flew out the station, there are timers on the local tracks as well (I operated there for the first time couple days ago) but since the C is moving along slower at that point it clears those with little letup.

I move the train on the (1) Line even with HAL5000 watching my every move..

Lol. Its this one lady that is always at Grand Central monitoring the speeds. To be honest I dont see the need to be watching these T/Os like this, these guys are trying to do a job and I feel for them, I always wanted to be a T/O but I dont think I want to now. YOu can tell alot a T/Os dont want to take any chances because on the Dyre Line some dont even top 30.

Now some people think the NTT trains are going fast, but now and then you get a "fast" R142/A.

The Timers north of 125th are necessary because of the large amount of switches in the area.

The timers I find unnecessary are the GT 20 signals on 3 track south of 96th street that hold the train to that speed practically until 59th.

i think its south of 86th but yea i know what you're talkin about....i used to do that everyday...that slow down is unnecessary i think..but hey i just might be necessary to keep the trains from bunchin up at 59th.............

also no bound after 125....north of 135 really is where the (:P(D) seperate from the (A)(C) so theres alot of switch movement in that area...which is pretty much the reason for the slow down

Archived