NBA, NHL and other sports thread Fall 2010

Shortline Bus

B35, the Magics problem is that one one big guy and 4 shooters that all they do is jack up 3 after 3 after 3 after 3. Not one guy on that team can create there own shot. Ever since they lost Hedo in 2009, that marked the end of the Magics run. They just shoot too many 3s and its not working for then.

Then they traded off Rafer Alston, Coutney Lee, guys that were a big part of that 2009 run to the Finals.

Getting Vince Carter didnt do anything. He is 33 and is clearly slowing down. He's just not the same guy anymore and they need to get rid of him. He's a guy that comes in spurts. I say get rid of hi while they have the chance now, and not to mention he has bad ankles and has never been 100% sicne he left New Jersey. They lost 4 out of 5 of the West Coast swing. I seen a few of them games and they just jacked up so many 3s that they caused thereself to lose those games.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read 553's post about the initial deal, I thought to myself that they should've been separate trades instead of a 3 team deal....

anyway, part of the trade is official...

Arenas for Rashard Lewis...

.....and the other part of the trade in the works, according to espn:

suns get: Vince, Pietrus, Gortat, & a first round draft pick for next year...

magic get: Turkoglu & Jason Richardson

When I read 553's post about the initial deal, I thought to myself that they should've been separate trades instead of a 3 team deal....

anyway, part of the trade is official...

Arenas for Rashard Lewis...

.....and the other part of the trade in the words, according to espn:

suns get: Vince, Pietrus, Gortat, & a first round draft pick for next year...

magic get: Turkoglu & Jason Richardson

My cousin hit me up not even a min ago l0l. I checked NBA.com and its offical.

B35, the Magics problem is that one one big guy and 4 shooters that all they do is jack up 3 after 3 after 3 after 3. Not one guy on that team can create there own shot. Ever since they lost Hedo in 2009, that marked the end of the Magics run. They just shoot too many 3s and its not working for then.

Then they traded off Rafer Alston, Coutney Lee, guys that were a big part of that 2009 run to the Finals.

Getting Vince Carter didnt do anything. He is 33 and is clearly slowing down. He's just not the same guy anymore and they need to get rid of him. He's a guy that comes in spurts. I say get rid of hi while they have the chance now, and not to mention he has bad ankles and has never been 100% sicne he left New Jersey. They lost 4 out of 5 of the West Coast swing. I seen a few of them games and they just jacked up so many 3s that they caused thereself to lose those games.

While I don't disagree, that was their game with Turkoglu, though.... Now they're looking to get him back...

The crux of this (well, these) deals, is to get rid of Carter, and bring in a (younger) Arenas.... smart move if you're Orlando... the 3 ball isn't Arenas' game at all... Vince looks to shoot them, more than Arenas does.....

and yup, VC is (soon to be, was) a non factor on that team... same thing I said (IRL, and on other forums) when they acquired him.... I think that had to do with age (he's not near as explosive as he once was, although he can still score, just not "at will"), the fact that he knew going in that he wasn't gonna be the #1 guy on the team (which he was used to being on the Raptors & on the Nets), and as you elude to, his # of shots/game.... while you have everyone else (except Howard) chuckin up 3's, VC was the one that could still create his own shot - that created a conflict with the type of style of play the Magic already had in place offensively.

far as J. Richardson goes, he had his better days....

And B35 here the NBA Players Union Boss in recent Sports Illustrated article stating there a great chance of a lockout after the 2011 NBA Finals in June.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/01/09/hunter.labor/index.html

The other major 'winter/early spring' North American sports league the NHL also just increased their chances of a work stoppage soon. Former MLB Players head Donald Fehr in which the 1994 World Series was cancelled under his watch is now the new players boss in Hockey.

Truth on the above post.

On the recent 3 team trade, the Magic is just one of those teams who know how to win games but just doesn't get taken as seriously and to me were due for house cleaning. I didn't expect them to alter the roster this early in the season but sometimes you have to make tough decisions for success.

A lockout is certainly possible for next season, especially when you have owners talking about cutting salaries along with the awful economy. I would hope the players are responsible with their money just in case.

Why is Vince Carter still in the league? :confused:

l0l so many players in the league shouldnt even be in the league. hell i go to the gym a few times a week to play and im sure i could find a role on a team lmao.

So many players are overpaid....

Wesley Matthews on the Blazers, a undrafted player is getting paid 38million over 4 years....why in the hell is he getting that kind of pay....

Truth on the above post.

On the recent 3 team trade, the Magic is just one of those teams who know how to win games but just doesn't get taken as seriously and to me were due for house cleaning. I didn't expect them to alter the roster this early in the season but sometimes you have to make tough decisions for success.

A lockout is certainly possible for next season, especially when you have owners talking about cutting salaries along with the awful economy. I would hope the players are responsible with their money just in case.

Not to mention a few clubs like Memphis, New Orleans, and Charlotte, etc. having terrible attendence barely drawing over 10,000 fans a game for last couple of years.

They were robbed in that boston game and the Cavs game, the Knicks couldn't finish them off. Miami- it was good in the 1st half, but it's obvious the Knicks need another big man to fend off both James and Wade and even Bosh.

But even with this slide, they're still a lot better than last year's team. Still gotta pray they get Carmello either this season or the next.

The Knicks are not getting Melo....If they do, they would be giving up Landry Fields who is in the talks for rookie of the year 2nd behind Blake Griffen. They also would have to give up Danilo Gallinari and a few 1st round draft picks. And right now the Nets have those parts.

A deal with New Jersey and Denver would look like this and the simple fact New Jersey is a loosing team. New York a winning team on the rise will not risk breaking that team up and loosing key parts. New York needs to work on there bench and that team will be nothing but fire.

New Jersey: Gives up Derek Favors and 3 1st round picks.

Denver: Gives up Carmelo Anthony.

New Jersey also has the money to offer Melo. He wants a 3 Year extentsion and any team that gets him he will have to sign a 3 year extentsion, and NJ once again has that money.

I will say this Melo will be traded before the trade deadline, he clearly wants out of Denver. Nets General Manager Billy King also is keeping quiet. He will pull the hat trick and Melo will be in New Jersey by the end of this season.

I follow the NBA very closely and all talks are clearly showing the Nets. The only reason NY is in the talks is because Melo is a Brooklyn native and has a shoeline here and it would boost his sales. Dont forget the Nets are moving to Brooklyn and this is why he will be with the Nets.

2010-11 Attendence

1 Bulls

2 Cavaliers

3 Trail Blazers

4 Mavericks

5 Heat

6 NY Knicks

7 Jazz

8 Lakers

9 Magic

10 Celtics

11 Warriors

12 Thunder

13 Spurs

14 Suns

15 Clippers

16 Raptors

17 Nuggets

18 Pistons

19 Bucks

20 Bobcats

21 Wizards

22 Rockets

23 Timberwolves

24 Hawks

25 76ers

26 Grizzlies

27 Pacers

28 Hornets

29 Kings

30 Nets

2010-11 Attendence

1 Bulls

2 Cavaliers

3 Trail Blazers

4 Mavericks

5 Heat

6 NY Knicks

7 Jazz

8 Lakers

9 Magic

10 Celtics

11 Warriors

12 Thunder

13 Spurs

14 Suns

15 Clippers

16 Raptors

17 Nuggets

18 Pistons

19 Bucks

20 Bobcats

21 Wizards

22 Rockets

23 Timberwolves

24 Hawks

25 76ers

26 Grizzlies

27 Pacers

28 Hornets

29 Kings

30 Nets

Wow! The Nets despite moving to Newark and an almost brand new arena is dead last in NBA in attendence? I thought maybe Memphis, Sac-Town or Charlotte would be in last.

Also I am also very surprised that so far that the Bulls and Cavs are the top 2 in attendence as well. In case with Cavs, it was pre-purchased assuming Lebraon was stayin. By end of season, I am sure in Cleveland there will be plenty of seats available.:eek:

Am I the only person who doesn't care about the U Conn women winning 89 in a row? Women's basketball is so lame. The only female basketball players I know are Rebecca Lobo, Lisa Leslie, and Sheryl Swoopes (and I think they're all retired).

to me, it don't mean anything, so I pay it no mind.....

the thing about it, is that women's college basketball is far more relevant than women's pro basketball is in the media... that's why a big a deal is being made about this streak....

you couldn't PAY ME to go to either one of the damned things...

And B35 here the NBA Players Union Boss in recent Sports Illustrated article stating there a great chance of a lockout after the 2011 NBA Finals in June.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/01/09/hunter.labor/index.html

The other major 'winter/early spring' North American sports league the NHL also just increased their chances of a work stoppage soon. Former MLB Players head Donald Fehr in which the 1994 World Series was cancelled under his watch is now the new players boss in Hockey.

I don't see a lockout happening. The league is doing so well right now and I watch several games a night since I have this NHL package and I can see how much faster and more open the game is with the new rules.

The only thing that may cause a problem is the salary cap. There is really no advantage the way there used to be for the big market teams and it is almost impossible to keep a team together long enough to do what the Oilers, Islanders, Flyers and Habs did back in the day with the dynasties.

Look at the Blackhawks... They're still a respectable team, but they had unload several big names because of their salary cap problems.

Another issue could be the stability of clubs. The NHL has been heavily involved in trying to keep the Stars and Coyotes above water and the league should not have to step in like that.

I don't see a lockout happening. The league is doing so well right now and I watch several games a night since I have this NHL package and I can see how much faster and more open the game is with the new rules.

The only thing that may cause a problem is the salary cap. There is really no advantage the way there used to be for the big market teams and it is almost impossible to keep a team together long enough to do what the Oilers, Islanders, Flyers and Habs did back in the day with the dynasties.

Look at the Blackhawks... They're still a respectable team, but they had unload several big names because of their salary cap problems.

Another issue could be the stability of clubs. The NHL has been heavily involved in trying to keep the Stars and Coyotes above water and the league should not have to step in like that.

Problem is IMO Garibaldi, the NHL has too many teams period. Just like the NBA there way too many teams in the sunbelt. Other than Dallas, Tampa, and North Carolina,(all Stanley Cup winners) there no reason to have clubs in 'the deep south' and Midwest like Columbus Ohio, Miami, Phoenix, Atlanta and Nashville. Not to mention a regular season (like the NBA)that could be shortended from current 80-82 game to around 70.

When the NHL expanded in the late '90's, there were other locations in US that would have supported hockey well. Mainly Seattle, Portland, Org. and Milwaukee. Also why not 1-2 more NHL teams in Canada as well re-locating any of the Sunbelt NHL clubs that are in trouble. As a casual NHL fan, Hockey will never get a huge fan base in most of the sunbelt like football, baseball and even soccer.

And regading the Islanders, why the hell they are still at that old dump in Uniondale? Nassau County will not for years if ever IMO, bulid a new buliding for Charles Wang who is willing to sell the team for the right place.

Wang was also an idiot for signing a few years back an 10-year contract extension with MSG/The Dolans for TV Rights. On nights in which Isles games are on the same time as either the Devils or Rangers, they are switched to another channel almost no one w/ digital tv can fine. I am sure the Mets station SNY would be happy to show the Isles to provide programming in the winter.

It's also sad that the once proud club in the Islanders only has '1' full time newspaper reporter of the major NYC metro papers covering the team in Newsday in last couple of years.

If the Islanders can't move to the new arena in Brooklyn with the Nets, I hate to say it, they need to leave the NYC metro area.

to me, it don't mean anything, so I pay it no mind.....

the thing about it, is that women's college basketball is far more relevant than women's pro basketball is in the media... that's why a big a deal is being made about this streak....

you couldn't PAY ME to go to either one of the damned things...

I commentened about the Uconn woman's club in here:tup:. Congrats to them as woman's basketball and tennis are the only sport I watch occasionally. However bad job by ESPN as the link w/ my comments are here.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24152&page=2

Here something that should interrest 553. Lakers Coach and Future HOF Phil Jackson stated his 'honest' feelings that he is very unhappy on playing on the Christmas Day Holiday.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/21/phil-jackson-nba-shouldnt-play-on-christmas/

Jackson stated his desire that he wished the Lakers would get day off.

For many years since the Christmas Day NBA game started, it was only '1' game.

Now this season a record 5 games will be played this Saturday X-mas Day. Three Games on ESPN and '2' on sister station ABC.

Personally I agree to point with Jackson. However tens of thousands of people across America also have to 'work' on the most holy day on the Christan calendar as well i.e Police officers, Firemen, etc.

Plus these guys are being paid millionaries to 'perform' while many are still out of a job in the ongoing recession. I only feel sorry for the Police Officers, Soliders in our military, Nurses/Doctors who have to work that holiday and want to be 'home' for their families.

My take is that the NBA should go back to playing '1' game only on Christmas night. The Lakers/Heat should not be playing that day or so early in the season. Why should the 'superteam' lol have to fly across country to play a game that could be shown in prime time in late January/early Feb. as the NFL season ends?

It should be a division game only i.e Boston/NY, LA/Phoenix, etc. so that the players could spend X-mas with their families and then fly to the game that night.

Just another example where $$$ is the new God in America IMO.

Archived