NBA, NHL and other sports thread Fall 2010

Shortline Bus

I just dont understand why the Lakers gave up Sasha Vujacic for Joe Smith. Thats just a stone cold bad move. He wasnt playing much, but when he played, he played good.

3-Team Deal:

Lakers get: Joe Smith

Rockets get: Terrance Williams

Nets get: Sasha Vujacic and 5 1st round draft pics through 2012.

This however opens up the Nets to finally make the deal to get Carmelo Anthony.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just dont understand why the Lakers gave up Sasha Vujacic for Joe Smith. Thats just a stone cold bad move. He wasnt playing much, but when he played, he played good.

3-Team Deal:

By the trading deadline which is I think Jan. I think Mr. Anthony will be with either the Knicks or Nets. Denver does not want to let him leave for either NY or NJ and get nothing.

The Knicks lose to the Celtics 118-116 on a controversial call at the buzzer. Amare Stoudemire hit a game winning three pointer, but the shot clock showed it happened after the buzzer. Even though the Knicks lost, I still feel good. They hung in there with arguably the best team in the league. Last year's Knicks team would've lost by 30.

If the Isles stay in the NY area, the new Brooklyn arena is a great fit. It be at least several years if ever if an arena is bulit in Nassau County for them.

All of the history with the Islanders and those Stanley Cup teams and they can't a new arena out there? Really crazy... Not to mention terrible management.

Shifting gears for minute. While in America, the sports world is focusing on NBA star lebraon James return to Ohio for 1st time as member of Miami Heat, a huge shocking event in International soccer has occurred. :eek:

In a huge upset, Heavy Favorites USA and Australia (alternative or 2nd choice) lost their bids to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup to Quatar, the small Middle East nation. The host of the 2018 tournment were also announced and Russia will host it for the first time.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/12/02/usa-loses-2022-world-cup-bid-to-qatar/

And also NY Daily News article.

FIFA hands World Cup 2022 to Qatar as U.S. loses bid; Russia to host 2018 soccer tournamentBy Filip Bondy

NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 2nd 2010

The U.S. lost its 2022 World Cup bid on Thursday to a tiny, over-heated desert nation with no particular soccer history or infrastructure.

The announcement in Zurich by FIFA president Sepp Blatter – which came on the heels of awarding Russia the 2018 World Cup – was not a big surprise, given the politics and money involved in the 22-member election process.

Qatar has unlimited government funding, a convenient time zone for the nine European voting members and has enthusiastically backed Blatter's terms in office.

But for the U.S., which had been the early favorite in the process – this was a major setback for soccer.

"This stinks for the U.S.," said Tony Meola, the U.S. goalkeeper and a three-time World Cup participant. "Qatar will probably need all these years to get ready. We're so ready we almost get overlooked."

The Americans also suffered humiliating defeats in two recent summer Olympic votes involving New York and Chicago. Top U.S. sports officials, plus Bill Clinton and Morgan Freeman, made what appeared to be an effective presentation on Wednesday to officials.

President Obama also made a plea to FIFA delegates, pledging in a videotaped message that the passion for "football" in the U.S. "burns stronger than ever." The lobbying bid, like that for the 2016 Olympics in Chicago, failed to persuade the delegates.

In the end, however, Qatar won the vote despite concerns about that country's treatment of women, its claustrophobic borders and its brutally hot summers.

Organizers have offered to air condition stadiums there, although it is unclear whether the cooling systems will extend to the fields.

"They can tell me all they want about dry heat,"Meola said. "I don't believe it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/12/02/2010-12-02_fifa_hands_world_cup_2022_to_qatar_us_loses_bid_russa_to_host_2018_soccer_tourna.html#ixzz16zY1eEry

I am sure the FIFA leaders got tons of cash for this one. Being fair if the US did not get it(I am sure there still anti-Bush/US bias on that board)then Australia should have gotten the 2022 Tournment.

Quatar is middle of nowhere and also very hard to get to unlike the US or Australia. Plus the Temptaures year round is among the hottest on earth including average temps of 110 degrees (F)between June-Sept.

I guess it's true that FIFA is just as corrupt as the IOC (International Olympic Committee) so reactions?:confused:

I'm a soccer nut and FIFA has always been corrupt. In fact you can make that argument about soccer in general, going back to the days when the Argentines won the World Cup, especially when they won it at home.

3-Team Deal:

Lakers landing one of the worst #1 picks in NBA history....

One team obtaining five first round draft picks for the next 2 seasons...

this is actually funny....

Lakers landing one of the worst #1 picks in NBA history....

One team obtaining five first round draft picks for the next 2 seasons...

this is actually funny....

Hey what goes around comes around. The Lakers heisted Gasol from Memphis so maybe with this trade, and this player remains a bust, it payback.

PS. Got to diagree. The worst #1 pick IMO in NBA History was when Sam Bowie was picked by I think Portland in the 1986 draft. Then the Bulls selected arguably the best player in NBA history and rest is history.:eek:

Hey what goes around comes around. The Lakers heisted Gasol from Memphis so maybe with this trade, and this player remains a bust, it payback.

PS. Got to diagree. The worst #1 pick IMO in NBA History was when Sam Bowie was picked by I think Portland in the 1986 draft. Then the Bulls selected arguably the best player in NBA history and rest is history.:eek:

You can see it as the lakers stealing Gasol... No problem.

I see it is the Grizzlies being fool enough to give up Gasol... especially to get another NBA journeyman Aaron Mckie/Mckee, that overrated Kwame Brown, and a bunch of other no-names..... You can't blame the Lakers for the Grizzlies neglecting to see the lack of an equal trade that was...

of course, the benefactor of it all was Gasol, so it's moot....

....and I didn't say Joe Smith was THE worst number 1 pick.

We know about that bum that used to play for the Nets, Sam Bowie....

He wasn't the worst pick. He was the worst mistake a GM made. The worst pick IMO was Michael Olowkandi (sp?).

He wasn't the worst pick. He was the worst mistake a GM made. The worst pick IMO was Michael Olowkandi (sp?).

olowokandi... close enough....

anyway, that's the dude I was tryna remember the name of, when I made that post earlier this morning....

joe smith... kwame brown... michael olowokandi...

^^ the fact that each of these 3 players were picked 3 years apart is scary....

at least we had Dwight Howard to break that curse.... b/c Greg Oden was 3 years behind him too....

I don't even bother w/ the NBA draft anymore...

It's gotten so predictable to the point where the most d**kridden player coming out of college, will be the #1 pick for that year..... more than half the players in the rest of the first round you barely hear of, beforehand, no way....

but I digress....

Kwame Brown may take this spot soon enough. In defense of Sam Bowie, he had a injury plagued career and we all know the Blazers taking him in front of Michael Jordan was a colossal mistake. Unfortunately, Greg Oden may suffer the same fate as Bowie with the number of knee surgeries he already has had at 22 years old.

Kwame Brown may take this spot soon enough. In defense of Sam Bowie, he had a injury plagued career and we all know the Blazers taking him in front of Michael Jordan was a colossal mistake. Unfortunately, Greg Oden may suffer the same fate as Bowie with the number of knee surgeries he already has had at 22 years old.

Well said. Mr. Brown is already in top 10 of worst #1 NBA draft picks ever.B)

Is that a trick question? hhahahah Stephen A. Smith needs to come back.

You know ESPN. They hype up their commentators and then boom let them without any regard.

Last time I saw him was recently, he was on CNN as their sports/news analyst talking about Micheal Vick.

Back to the games. I think it's been at least 10 years since the Knicks being on 'national tv' in back-back games. Maybe last time was when they lost to Toronto in 2001 playoffs when NBC/TNT had the NBA TV contract.

Tuesday's loss to the C's was close at 118-116 but on Friday night, LeBron James and the Heat beat the Knicks 113-91. Still, the Knicks are 16-11 after their eight game winning streak.

The Heat have turned it around after their slow start and are 20-8. In the Southwest Division, the Spurs have started 22-3, but have only a 1.5 game lead as the Mavericks have started 21-5.

Well after last night's 'butt kicking' that the Heat did to Knicks in front of all of America last night (12/17/10)at least 'reality' has come back to earth for a few SuperKnick fans who thought this team was a serious championship contender.

With that said, NY is a much better team for first time in ions and should be a playoff team probably as high as a #5-#6 seed in the NBA East IMO when regular season ends and if things go right win a 1st round series.

Still way early though.:confused:

Trade Talks:

There are talks of a trade between the Magic, Suns, and Wizards. The deal would send Gilbert Areans to Orlando, then would send Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis to Washington and then Marcin Gortat to Phoenix for Hedo Turkoglu back to the Magic.

The deal could happen as soon as tonight.

1) Stephen A Smith is THE biggest Shaq d**krider on the face of this planet...

That said, he's 100% right about Kwame Brown... dude was overhyped, just like Darko Milicic was... and to be frank, I put both of those players on the same boat.....

2) ESPN hypes up their commentators? What are they supposed to do, badmouth them..... don't get what you're trying to say there Shortline....

....far as Stephen A Smith goes... that show he had, flopped horribly... overall, dude knew his shit (at times), but I found him to be flat out annoying... A bonafide drama king....

3) That sounds like an equal trade to me.... Phoenix could maybe find a way to get some draft pick(s) out of the supposed deal though....

The Suns need some kind of spark, the way they got manhandled by Dallas last night... from what I've seen out of them so far this year, they just don't have "it"... they're trying to be that same explosive, full court, spread the defense type of team, but it aint working... the lack of a real inside presence hurts them also... Nash & G. Hill are the only spark plugs on the team, and they're the oldest two players on the team.... They're gonna need more than Gortat, though... guys like J-Rich are gonna have to step it up a notch...

I don't know what's goin on w/ Orlando... you'd think they'd be up there w/ the Celtics w/ who & what they got... I mean, they're well over .500, but you don't see a real dominating presence when they play....

The Suns need some kind of spark, the way they got manhandled by Dallas last night... from what I've seen out of them so far this year, they just don't have "it"... they're trying to be that same explosive, full court, spread the defense type of team, but it aint working... the lack of a real inside presence hurts them also... Nash & G. Hill are the only spark plugs on the team, and they're the oldest two players on the team.... They're gonna need more than Gortat, though... guys like J-Rich are gonna have to step it up a notch...

I don't know what's goin on w/ Orlando... you'd think they'd be up there w/ the Celtics w/ who & what they got... I mean, they're well over .500, but you don't see a real dominating presence when they play....

B35 you aware of the upcoming lockout/strike is main reason for increased # of trades right? Plus the Salary Cap will probably be different next season.

B35 you aware of the upcoming lockout/strike is main reason for increased # of trades right? Plus the Salary Cap will probably be different next season.

Basketball's threatening to have a lockout also.... didn't know that...

well if that's the case, we may as well prepare for a bunch of players changing jersey's...

Archived