NBA, NHL and other sports thread Fall 2010

Shortline Bus

Shifting gears for minute to the WWE. I admit I don't follow the WWE that much. However a shocking 'change of the guard' in the only major pro wrestling league as the "Miz" aka former B-Level Reality TV Actor Mike Mizanin has won the WWE Heavyweight Title.

This is probably the most unlikely WWE "world champion" since Vince McMahon won it a decade ago. The WWE according to online/newspaper reports is in 'transition' as former champion/long time fan favorite John Cena is leaving to follow in steps of the "rock" aka Dwayne Johnson as a Hollywood Action Acting Star.

Reactions WWE fans?:confused:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shifting gears for minute to the WWE. I admit I don't follow the WWE that much. However a shocking 'change of the guard' in the only major pro wrestling league as the "Miz" aka former B-Level Reality TV Actor Mike Mizanin has won the WWE Heavyweight Title.

That the reason why WWE suck now....I hadn't pay attention to WWE ever since Basita left,even then WWE still had an lack of interest.

This is probably the most unlikely WWE "world champion" since Vince McMahon won it a decade ago. The WWE according to online/newspaper reports is in 'transition' as former champion/long time fan favorite John Cena is leaving to follow in steps of the "rock" aka Dwayne Johnson as a Hollywood Action Acting Star.

Reactions WWE fans?:confused:

I knew this will happen,I just didn't know when...

That the reason why WWE suck now....I hadn't pay attention to WWE ever since Basita left,even then WWE still had an lack of interest.

I knew this will happen,I just didn't know when...

Bring me back to the good 'ole days' of the former WWF/NWA of the 1980's. Hulk, Andre, Bob, a much young Ric Flair to mention a great selection of stars back then. Not to mention probably the most hated 'heel' in history of pro wrestling the "Iron Shek.';)

An interesting start in the Western Conference this season where the Spurs have started 13-1 and have a 12 game winning streak, the Lakers have started 13-2 and have a 6 game lead (the Warriors and Suns both have started 7-9) and the Hornets are 11-3 after having started 11-1.

The Thunder are giving Oklahoma City a reason to cheer with a 10-5 start (5-4 at home).

The superteam = fail. there down 20 to the mavs. The superteam was 3 of 18 in the 3rd qtr.

Like I said, Pat Riley is waiting in the wings and by Dec. 15 or sooner could take over the so called 'superteam." I am sure the clows *woops* i mean the exces at ESPN paying around $ 1/2 Billion a season for NBA TV rights, are also worried as they were praying for a 2011 Heat-Lakers NBA Finals.:confused:

Like I said, Pat Riley is waiting in the wings and by Dec. 15 or sooner could take over the so called 'superteam." I am sure the clows *woops* i mean the exces at ESPN paying around $ 1/2 Billion a season for NBA TV rights, are also worried as they were praying for a 2011 Heat-Lakers NBA Finals.:confused:

You also have to remember that coverage for NBA on ABC doesn't start until Christmas. My guess is that Riley takes over and the Heat catch fire by then, resulting in ABC's highest NBA ratings in years.

You also have to remember that coverage for NBA on ABC doesn't start until Christmas. My guess is that Riley takes over and the Heat catch fire by then, resulting in ABC's highest NBA ratings in years.

Are the Heat and Lakers playing on Christmas Day on ABC/ESPN? Anyhow on Thursday 12/2/10 the "Superteam' and Lebron play in Cleveland for 1st time, since King James left. I am sure tons of Cleveland Police and even the Ohio National Guard on standby at that game.

I think that game is on TNT.

Heat@Lakers is on ABC for the xmas day game. And this thursday Heat@Cavs is on TNT. My DVR is set. I just want to hear the reaction of the crowd.

I am sure the ratings for Heat/Lakers on X-Mas Day will be excellent.

By the way anyone hear how much scaplers are selling tickets for Heat/Knicks very soon at MSG in couple of weeks with Lebraon 1st apperence in Miami Uniform? They asking as much as $5,000 for courtside seats.

Thats crazy. I hate NBA on ESPN/ABC; They are way too biased and there reports suck. Give me Ernie Johnson, Chris Webber, Charles Barkley, Kevin Mchale, Kenny "the jet" Smith. NBA on TNT does a much better job and they are not scared to come out and say anything. NBATV does a great job also.

Thats crazy. I hate NBA on ESPN/ABC; They are way too biased and there reports suck. Give me Ernie Johnson, Chris Webber, Charles Barkley, Kevin Mchale, Kenny "the jet" Smith. NBA on TNT does a much better job and they are not scared to come out and say anything. NBATV does a great job also.

I also much prefer TNT for NBA coverage. They do a great job on pro hoops compared to their MLB Baseball coverage on sister station TBS.

The only good NBA announcer/commentator on ESPN/ABC is Mike Breen IMO. Studio Host Stuart Scott is a clown and never could understand how he a studio host on a "National" Broadcast of a major sports league.

I don't get how others on ESPN like John Saunders, Mike Trico or Hannah Storm(She was the Studio Host for NBA on NBC games in the '90's)are not doing that job.:eek:

Lakers dropped 4 of there last 5 games. Should they be worried NO. When Andrew Bynum gets back, Gasol will be able to get the rest he needs. Right now he is playing 39-44 mins a game and Phil Jackson doesnt trust the rookie Derek Character for long stretches of games. Everything is fine for the Lakers, they are champions for a reason.

Lakers dropped 4 of there last 5 games. Should they be worried NO. When Andrew Bynum gets back, Gasol will be able to get the rest he needs. Right now he is playing 39-44 mins a game and Phil Jackson doesnt trust the rookie Derek Character for long stretches of games. Everything is fine for the Lakers, they are champions for a reason.

And barring serious injuries, to either Kobe or Garsiol they are a good chance for a 3-peat as NBA World Champions.

I know it's only a month into the regular season, but Garisol now has to rank among the top5 basketball players on the planet. Yet ESPN who always 'kiss butt' to Lebraon never hardly mentions Garisol. Hate to say it but is it because Garsiol is not an US Citizen and why he has yet to get major American commerical deals?

Shifting gears for minute. While in America, the sports world is focusing on NBA star lebraon James return to Ohio for 1st time as member of Miami Heat, a huge shocking event in International soccer has occurred. :eek:

In a huge upset, Heavy Favorites USA and Australia (alternative or 2nd choice) lost their bids to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup to Quatar, the small Middle East nation. The host of the 2018 tournment were also announced and Russia will host it for the first time.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/12/02/usa-loses-2022-world-cup-bid-to-qatar/

And also NY Daily News article.

FIFA hands World Cup 2022 to Qatar as U.S. loses bid; Russia to host 2018 soccer tournamentBy Filip Bondy

NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 2nd 2010

The U.S. lost its 2022 World Cup bid on Thursday to a tiny, over-heated desert nation with no particular soccer history or infrastructure.

The announcement in Zurich by FIFA president Sepp Blatter – which came on the heels of awarding Russia the 2018 World Cup – was not a big surprise, given the politics and money involved in the 22-member election process.

Qatar has unlimited government funding, a convenient time zone for the nine European voting members and has enthusiastically backed Blatter's terms in office.

But for the U.S., which had been the early favorite in the process – this was a major setback for soccer.

"This stinks for the U.S.," said Tony Meola, the U.S. goalkeeper and a three-time World Cup participant. "Qatar will probably need all these years to get ready. We're so ready we almost get overlooked."

The Americans also suffered humiliating defeats in two recent summer Olympic votes involving New York and Chicago. Top U.S. sports officials, plus Bill Clinton and Morgan Freeman, made what appeared to be an effective presentation on Wednesday to officials.

President Obama also made a plea to FIFA delegates, pledging in a videotaped message that the passion for "football" in the U.S. "burns stronger than ever." The lobbying bid, like that for the 2016 Olympics in Chicago, failed to persuade the delegates.

In the end, however, Qatar won the vote despite concerns about that country's treatment of women, its claustrophobic borders and its brutally hot summers.

Organizers have offered to air condition stadiums there, although it is unclear whether the cooling systems will extend to the fields.

"They can tell me all they want about dry heat,"Meola said. "I don't believe it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/12/02/2010-12-02_fifa_hands_world_cup_2022_to_qatar_us_loses_bid_russa_to_host_2018_soccer_tourna.html#ixzz16zY1eEry

I am sure the FIFA leaders got tons of cash for this one. Being fair if the US did not get it(I am sure there still anti-Bush/US bias on that board)then Australia should have gotten the 2022 Tournment.

Quatar is middle of nowhere and also very hard to get to unlike the US or Australia. Plus the Temptaures year round is among the hottest on earth including average temps of 110 degrees (F)between June-Sept.

I guess it's true that FIFA is just as corrupt as the IOC (International Olympic Committee) so reactions?:confused:

If FIFA wanted to give to a "ARAB" or Middle Eastern nations, places like Turkey(I know techincally it's in Europe), and Egypt would have been much better choices.

Not to mention Quatar bans woman from being in public without a man and also bans booze. Tell that to fans from England if they make it they can't have a cold one:eek:.

Shifting gears for minute. While in America, the sports world is focusing on NBA star lebraon James return to Ohio for 1st time as member of Miami Heat, a huge shocking event in International soccer has occurred. :eek:

In a huge upset, Heavy Favorites USA and Australia (alternative or 2nd choice) lost their bids to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup to Quatar, the small Middle East nation. The host of the 2018 tournment were also announced and Russia will host it for the first time.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/12/02/usa-loses-2022-world-cup-bid-to-qatar/

And also NY Daily News article.

FIFA hands World Cup 2022 to Qatar as U.S. loses bid; Russia to host 2018 soccer tournamentBy Filip Bondy

NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 2nd 2010

The U.S. lost its 2022 World Cup bid on Thursday to a tiny, over-heated desert nation with no particular soccer history or infrastructure.

The announcement in Zurich by FIFA president Sepp Blatter – which came on the heels of awarding Russia the 2018 World Cup – was not a big surprise, given the politics and money involved in the 22-member election process.

Qatar has unlimited government funding, a convenient time zone for the nine European voting members and has enthusiastically backed Blatter's terms in office.

But for the U.S., which had been the early favorite in the process – this was a major setback for soccer.

"This stinks for the U.S.," said Tony Meola, the U.S. goalkeeper and a three-time World Cup participant. "Qatar will probably need all these years to get ready. We're so ready we almost get overlooked."

The Americans also suffered humiliating defeats in two recent summer Olympic votes involving New York and Chicago. Top U.S. sports officials, plus Bill Clinton and Morgan Freeman, made what appeared to be an effective presentation on Wednesday to officials.

President Obama also made a plea to FIFA delegates, pledging in a videotaped message that the passion for "football" in the U.S. "burns stronger than ever." The lobbying bid, like that for the 2016 Olympics in Chicago, failed to persuade the delegates.

In the end, however, Qatar won the vote despite concerns about that country's treatment of women, its claustrophobic borders and its brutally hot summers.

Organizers have offered to air condition stadiums there, although it is unclear whether the cooling systems will extend to the fields.

"They can tell me all they want about dry heat,"Meola said. "I don't believe it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/12/02/2010-12-02_fifa_hands_world_cup_2022_to_qatar_us_loses_bid_russa_to_host_2018_soccer_tourna.html#ixzz16zY1eEry

I am sure the FIFA leaders got tons of cash for this one. Being fair if the US did not get it(I am sure there still anti-Bush/US bias on that board)then Australia should have gotten the 2022 Tournment.

Quatar is middle of nowhere and also very hard to get to unlike the US or Australia. Plus the Temptaures year round is among the hottest on earth including average temps of 110 degrees (F)between June-Sept.

I guess it's true that FIFA is just as corrupt as the IOC (International Olympic Committee) so reactions?:confused:

I am sure the ratings for Heat/Lakers on X-Mas Day will be excellent.

By the way anyone hear how much scaplers are selling tickets for Heat/Knicks very soon at MSG in couple of weeks with Lebraon 1st apperence in Miami Uniform? They asking as much as $5,000 for courtside seats.

Ratings might be high, but the quality of play will be lackadaisical, just like last year's Xmas game with the Lakers. Most of those players don't even want to be there.

Archived