Congestion pricing plan dead

Harry

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/04/07/2008-04-07_congestion_pricing_deadline_monday_night.html

"Bloomberg has spent a year pushing his plan to charge cars $8 to enter Manhattan below 60th St. on weekdays, saying it would generate almost $500 million a year for mass transit, improve the air, ease traffic and keep the city competitive."

"The federal Transportation Department has promised $354 million for startup costs if the measure is approved by midnight tonight - and has promised to give that money to other cities if New York doesn't sign on by then."

Charging the New Yorkers $8.00 to enter Manhattan would discourage drivers but would not improve the air by much. That is just an excuse to push the plan. It would ease traffic but at the same time it would put a load on transit which would affect transportation. After this 60 million dollar cut by the fed the MTA, would have something to ***** about. Let me not mentioned the yellow cabs drivers who would have to pay that $8.00 fair to enter NYC. Their would charge it to the passengers. It would affect their business because passengers would find it cheaper to commute via public transportation. Thank you Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver for looking out for us.

What NJT, PATH, and MTA need is a 80 billion dollar federal cash injection to do all of the stuff that needs to be done once every 20 years, starting this year. There's stuff that really can't wait, PATH is at capacity, the NEC tracks are at capacity on peak hours, the lexington line is at peak capacity... PATH needs massive overhaul of its infrastructure, new tunnels to increase capacity. Increasing fares is a very uncool way to pay for project, because fares don't normally go down once it's paid off the reason for the increase. I think right now with the economic downturn, increasing fares past maybe 2-4% would decrease profitability, because people would get turned off by the price and the vital tourist economy of the whole region would be at risk. The USDOT is off flying a kite trying to fix road bridges that are falling down, and don't realize that money needs to go towards rail, or this country is going to be in a lot of trouble in the next 10 years. I am sure at least some of you agree with me on that.

- Andy

" I think right now with the economic downturn, increasing fares past maybe 2-4% would decrease profitability, because people would get turned off by the price and the vital tourist economy of the whole region would be at risk. "

Lets go mets ....sorry Andy but I'm a Yankees fan. You have some grate ideas hear buddy. I just have one comment about your outlook. Yes you right the economy is definitely on a down pitch. None the less, increasing fares would not decrease profit. Think of transportation as a utility - its a necessity for those who uses it. People work to pay they bills and they use public transportation to get there. Therefore, whether the fair increase by 50 cents or a dollar they have no choice but to pay it. They may complain about it and threaten to protest against it but meanwhile they they will have to pay the fair. Tourist on the other hand, also have no choice but an increase in fair will not trigger a decrease in tourism. Those who come to visit NYC are from mostly Europe. Right now one EUR is about $1.57 US and $1.00 recently traded at 0.0097 YEN. Tourist can afford to come to the US in live large it's us that can't afford to travel to Europe. You take your dollar to Europe and see what happen to it. Lets go Yankee.

" I think right now with the economic downturn, increasing fares past maybe 2-4% would decrease profitability, because people would get turned off by the price and the vital tourist economy of the whole region would be at risk. "

Lets go mets ....sorry Andy but I'm a Yankees fan. You have some grate ideas hear buddy. I just have one comment about your outlook. Yes you right the economy is definitely on a down pitch. None the less, increasing fares would not decrease profit. Think of transportation as a utility - its a necessity for those who uses it. People work to pay they bills and they use public transportation to get there. Therefore, whether the fair increase by 50 cents or a dollar they have no choice but to pay it. They may complain about it and threaten to protest against it but meanwhile they they will have to pay the fair. Tourist on the other hand, also have no choice but an increase in fair will not trigger a decrease in tourism. Those who come to visit NYC are from mostly Europe. Right now one EUR is about $1.57 US and $1.00 recently traded at 0.0097 YEN. Tourist can afford to come to the US in live large it's us that can't afford to travel to Europe. You take your dollar to Europe and see what happen to it. Lets go Yankee.

Oh no no, i meant per year or quarter, i mean why bother raising fares if the thing isn't even being built yet, you know? I remember when trenton to new york cost $14.95 round trip, now it's 21.50... This was only a few years ago too, not even 4. I hope they don't keep increasing it like that on a shorter time scale to cover a big new project said be lasting years... You see what i mean now? I'm a regular rider for business and pleasure on the :nec: and i'm tired of having to pinch my funds for other stuff, say, money for where i'm going. I am not the only person in this situation, a lot of people will be turned off by a drastic fare increase, even if it is required to cover a good project.

- Andy

Damn, this sucks. Was really good last week. Should've went to Albany to see if anyone gave a damn up there about what NYC was w00 h00-ing about.

And to Andy, seem to be getting the wrong idea abit. I don't believe the PANYNJ and NJT would get a dime out of the congestion pricing, only if NJ drivers were gonna get really screwed out of the deal. NJT is working with getting THE Tunnel on the way and trying to do it fast but isn't promised anytime soon. New PATH tubes won't be happening anytime soon. What needs to happen with PATH is expand all platforms to fit up to 12 cars, but first make all trains 10 cars long, and when time comes, 12 cars long.

Back to CP, PANYNJ would've had to give a billion bucks to cover NJ's ass!

I can't wait for the rich mayor to disappear already. He's been nothing but trouble for New Yorkers. Someone please show him the door.

We're the ones who are to blame for re-electing him. It's a shame that no opposing politicians have been able to run an effective campaign.

Archived