NY Metro: "Filming buses, trains: terror?"

error46146

An interesting article on page 5 of today's Metro:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/691766--filming-buses-trains-terror

I really do love how some police have the audacity to say it is illegal to film or photograph on public property when such activity is protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution..and then to threaten to put people on terrorist watch lists???

Thanks to 9/11, this is what happens and will continue into the 2010s, 2020s etc.

I wonder if the (MTA) trains its new workers and GO OVER the rules of Conduct.. If not then a law suit should be in please or something else.

An interesting article on page 5 of today's Metro:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/691766--filming-buses-trains-terror

I really do love how some police have the audacity to say it is illegal to film or photograph on public property when such activity is protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution..and then to threaten to put people on terrorist watch lists???

"The uniformed officer told me I was committing a “terrorist act” and that filming buses, subways and any MTA property would not only get me arrested, but would also put me on a terrorist watch list."

I have 2 sheets to show these 'tarded cops.

NYC%20Police%20Operations%20Order%20Suspicious%20Photography.jpg

10509.png

Try sayin' it's illegal now

Me and Vintage Soul were by Laguardia Depot last week shooting pics of the buses in the area.A point came when a hybrid stopped at the street across from the depot.I attempted my shots which failed in blurred glory and Soul did as well with better success.At this point I notice a Summit Security SUV making a right onto 85St and in the back of my mind I said to myself "watch something happen".

Sure enough.After I took two shots of two RTS' parked further up;from across the street on public property mind you;then here comes the Summit Clown telling me that I can't take pictures of MTA Property and all the usual garbage.I told him that I was on a public street and that I can take pictures of whatever I felt like.Long story short,after a few more back and forth arguements I finally whipped out my TA pass right in his face and the following occured......

Me:Oh!And by the way,I'm a New York City Transit employee and even if I wasn't,I'd STILL have every damn right to take pictures of the building and of the buses across the street and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.Have a good night!

Me and Soul went on our merry way and to say that the look on the guys face was more priceless than a Mastercard commercial,WOOOO CHILD!And damn that I feel VERY satisfied for standing up for whats right.And I will continue to do so till the day I expire.:P

I've never been in this situation (I only took pics once) but I do understand their concern. It can look suspicious.

I'm not saying they should be an ignorant POS about it but they should calmly state their concern if they feel it's necessary, they should know people do take pics of trains, buses, ferries, etc. NYC is a huge tourist destination, it's not just transitfans.

They should know it is legal.

I once get yelled by a cop at for photographing a "secure area" (after he ignored my printout of the code of conduct with "we have our own rules")...

I didn't realize the CRESCENT STREET CURVE was a high value target...

Oh you didn't know? Al-Qaeda wants to get it.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never been in this situation (I only took pics once) but I do understand their concern. It can look suspicious.

I'm not saying they should be an ignorant POS about it but they should calmly state their concern if they feel it's necessary, they should know people do take pics of trains, buses, ferries, etc. NYC is a huge tourist destination, it's not just transitfans.

They should know it is legal.

Wait!STOP!Back that truck up!WOAH!Now then,please explain to me HOWtaking a picture of a bus can look suspicious?PLEASE tell me!Because you said it yourself,this city is a huge tourist destination soooooo......(W)(T)(F)?

I think we all know that it's pretty outrageous that anybody would consider photography an act of terrorism. That said, I do agree with Infamous in that if you caught a high-strung cop following some sort of act of terrorism, and that cop saw a man holding a huge camera photographing public equipment from a long distance -- that could look a bit suspicious. It's ridiculous to claim photography is an act of terrorism, that's established, but at times, you do have to sympathize with a cop just trying to do their job -- maybe trying a bit too hard though.

That said, an abuse of power by an oblivious cop is obviously a terrible thing, as often happens with railfanning/bus fanning.

Which is why I can't stand cops.They think that just cause they have a flashy badge,cute little leathal gun and handcuffs,that they can go around being all Rambo or Arnold on everybody.It just doesn't work that way.Nevermind that also alot of times,racisim plays a part in the situation as well.There will always be racist people every cornor you turn and cops are no exception.

Please don't generalize. I know plenty of local, state, PAPD and NJTPD police that if they were not on duty they'd talk trains with me while i wait at newark or trenton etc etc.

The problem here is overzealous officers who need to be instructed at the academy that photography is legal unless otherwise specified.

- A

The problem here is overzealous officers who need to be instructed at the academy that photography is legal unless otherwise specified.

They are fully instructed in the actual meaning of Section 1050.9. Yet, they still choose (or are ordered) to ignore the instructions, and some even cite Section 1050.9 as the law being broken!

They are fully instructed in the actual meaning of Section 1050.9. Yet, they still choose (or are ordered) to ignore the instructions, and some even cite Section 1050.9 as the law being broken!

You do realize that MTA personal MUST report any suspicious activity which many times photographers fall under because they will stay in one spot for a long period of time without getting on a bus or train. That is what usually makes you people look suspicious and it looks even worse when you try and hide your camera or you run away when challenged by someone. Once a "suspicious" person is called in, an officer is sent to check and see whats going on and they have much better things to do then talk to you, but it's their job to go and see what's going on. In almost every story where some bus or rail fan has bitched about getting stopped for taking photos, they have left out major parts of the story such as but not limited to, after I took my shot I tried to hide my camera, I waited near the end of the platform for 2 hours while pacing around nervously, I ran away when _____ asked me what I was doing, I stood in the middle of the road to get this sweet ass shot of some bus, well I only used the flash this once because_______, and other stupid excuses as to why you really should have been stopped but your twisted mind thinks that your right and everyone else is wrong.

Oh, and any one who wear one of those "I'm a photographer, not a terrorist" shirts needs to be taken out back and beaten to death. You just look like a major jackass.

You do realize that MTA personal MUST report any suspicious activity which many times photographers fall under because they will stay in one spot for a long period of time without getting on a bus or train. That is what usually makes you people look suspicious and it looks even worse when you try and hide your camera or you run away when challenged by someone. Once a "suspicious" person is called in, an officer is sent to check and see whats going on and they have much better things to do then talk to you, but it's their job to go and see what's going on. In almost every story where some bus or rail fan has bitched about getting stopped for taking photos, they have left out major parts of the story such as but not limited to, after I took my shot I tried to hide my camera, I waited near the end of the platform for 2 hours while pacing around nervously, I ran away when _____ asked me what I was doing, I stood in the middle of the road to get this sweet ass shot of some bus, well I only used the flash this once because_______, and other stupid excuses as to why you really should have been stopped but your twisted mind thinks that your right and everyone else is wrong.

Oh, and any one who wear one of those "I'm a photographer, not a terrorist" shirts needs to be taken out back and beaten to death. You just look like a major jackass.

The only major jackass here is you.We're sick and tired of being treated like crap just cause we have a hobby that we love and enjoy.Have a problem with that?

Archived