How bout the idea of a Q3 Limited?

gtNovaBusRTS9369

My idea is that therecould be an improvement for the Q3 by making a limited counterpart of it's self. This could give buses such as Q4, Q85 etc a break. Plus this could give the Q3 a change for the better or worse. Any ideas folks?

BTW: Over the summer the Q3 was really crowded (especially in the mornings)! I rode on the thing for a few days in a row & at some of those times the bus was JAM packed. Plus it wasn'y even duringthe school year but was crowded anyway. This is one of the reasons why I suggested this for the Q3.

My idea is that therecould be an improvement for the Q3 by making a limited counterpart of it's self. This could give buses such as Q4, Q85 etc a break. Plus this could give the Q3 a change for the better or worse. Any ideas folks?

thats a good idea but just during the rush hours

Neither the Q2 nor the Q3 have the ridership for a Limited (and the Q2 is way too short). The Q3 is a funny route. Many people take it between intermediate points on Farmers Blvd. There are also quite a few airport employees who use it. However, the Q3 isn't the best way to get to the subway from southeast Queens. It's way too slow. I live near the Q3 and Q85. I usually take the Q85 to the (E) instead of the Q3 to the (F) because the Q85 is the more direct route.

I have taken Q3 local buses many times and I agree just like Bx36 Local folks, Q3 Local riders might get furious.

Slightly little-off topic, on first day or Rush Hour B82 Limited, there was elderly who boarded B82 LTD at Kings Highway/78th St and she was about to get off at local stop, that lady was complaining which was 7th St next. She blame the B/O and "What are you doing to disable?"

Some B82 riders love the LTD and they said, "It's about time."

The Q3?

There isn't any trade-off to running LTD's on that route...

Having rode the Q3 on many occasions, my assessment is the same as FG's....

No way would people abandon a merrick blvd route for a hillside av route... especially the Q3; that route crawls the whole way through; from jfk to 165th term....

A LTD would result in half-filled (IMO, at the most) buses... sayin that another way, the Q3's usage w/o the LTD isn't enough to summon for/suggest LTD service; and it sure as hell doesn't have the headways for it either.... service is not frequent at all on that route; only route that's worse off in that department in SE Queens is the Q77....

Think about it... if someone lived near(er) to a non-LTD stop along farmers, and would have to walk to the nearest LTD stop (pretty much, the Q3 route south of the LIRR main line tracks), they may as well take that same walk to catch a merrick blvd bus (or the Q83)....

To sum it up:

The quick (perceived) fix isn't always the best thing...

Limiteds don't necessarily make things better...

I always thought the Q3 needed a Limited just off the strength of it being very very slow, it crawls up/down Farmers. I've never ridden a bus slower than the Q3.

In person it seems to have enough ridership but on paper it doesn't.

I still think it needs a Limited.

The Q30 is in need of a Limited as well. Idk about ridership but every single bus is always packed.

I always thought the Q3 needed a Limited just off the strength of it being very very slow, it crawls up/down Farmers. I've never ridden a bus slower than the Q3.

In person it seems to have enough ridership but on paper it doesn't.

I still think it needs a Limited.

The Q30 is in need of a Limited as well. Idk about ridership but every single bus is always packed.

That's another bus that may need limited service as well. Of course it goes by Cardozo & Franny Lew HS with a lot of riders. Sometimes I'd take the Q30 back to Jamaica & those school trippers don't always help as there's some other regular passengers. What I'm saying saying is that sometimes (Just like the Q27) it can be a packed B-Tard @ times espcially when it makes a lot of stops near St.Johns Unversity & another at Union Tpke. The point is (as you did mention) that every bus is packed & there's some that may need limited service or even Improved frequency! That's why I suggested this for the Q3.

My idea is that there could be an improvement for the Q3 by making a limited counterpart of itself. This could give buses such as Q4, Q85 etc a break. Plus this could give the Q3 a change for the better or worse. Any ideas folks?

BTW: Over the summer the Q3 was really crowded (especially in the mornings)! I rode on the thing for a few days in a row & at some of those times the bus was JAM packed. Plus it wasn'y even during the school year but was crowded anyway. This is one of the reasons why I suggested this for the Q3.

A Q3 LTD sounds good on paper, but in reality, it's not gonna work. Yeah JFK has a LTD already (Q10), and its frequent. The length is there, but the frequency isn't

- Q66 needs more service before it needs a LTD.... that short turn over there by where the Q18 route runs, aint cutting it.... but I will agree that it could use LTD's before/over the Q3...

- Locals to the Postal Facility & LTD's to JFK would yield the same ridership patterns on that route that currently exists - intra-Brooklyn riders bombarding JFK bound B15's (moreso than ever), and the remaining riders riding Postal Facility bound B15's... The "wildcard", is all the JFK employees that board at New Lots (3)... I think this throws a monkeywrench into running LTD's on the route....

I've gotten into some good debates regarding "B15 LTD's"... The more I think about it, I say the B15 could benefit from a short turn on the northern end of its route (maybe running from Utica av (A)(C); same SB stop as the B46 over there, to JFK...)

guess my issue w/ the route is that, why does every run have to run out of Woodhull.... and also I'm noticing now that, more JFK bound B15's are running the "combined" route; meaning, serving the postal facility AND JFK airport.... why, I'm not exactly sure...

- I haven't rode the Q30 in a good minute (since like, the past 5-6 months) to assess if it needs LTD's now... The thing I've noticed w/ that route over the years, is, schoolkids bombarding the route due to too infrequent, inconsistent service.... Is that still the case? maybe things have drastically changed if ppl think it needs em...

Neither the Q2 nor the Q3 have the ridership for a Limited (and the Q2 is way too short). The Q3 is a funny route. Many people take it between intermediate points on Farmers Blvd. There are also quite a few airport employees who use it. However, the Q3 isn't the best way to get to the subway from southeast Queens. It's way too slow. I live near the Q3 and Q85. I usually take the Q85 to the (E) instead of the Q3 to the (F) because the Q85 is the more direct route.

I have to agree I lived on the Q3 my whole life, even now, I take the Q4 to Jamaica Center because its much faster to get to Jamaica then the Q3:cool:

It's funny because the (Q2) and (Q4) are look short in length and ridership is identical between the the 2. But I guess by (MTA) standards, the (Q4) is busier, hence why it has LTD service

I dont think the Q60 should get a LTD

Of course not, the Q60 dupes the (E), (F) and (7). There's a stretch between Grand and Roosevelt where it doesn't paralell a subway. Then again, your gonna hear the (Bx1) is a LTD and it dupes the (D)

They need a (Q66) limited, or a (Q60) limited badly. waaaay too many stops.

Both need a reduction in the number of stops before they get limited service, IMO. Both bus routes have stops every 1-2 blocks, and especially in the (Q66)'s case this leads to excessive bunching of buses (2-5 at a time). If they cut down on the number of bus stops to every 3-4 blocks (keeps walking distance reasonable) it would take longer for buses to bunch and it would also decrease the number of red lights these buses stop at.

In addition to the Q10 (Q10) on Lefferts Boulevard, the Q6 (Q6) has limited service on Sutphin Boulevard/Rockaway Boulevard/North Boundary Road.

How about the Q37 (Q37)?

No. The (Q37)'s headways don't qualify and it's too short

Archived