Tribute to RMS Titanic; 98 Years Later (2010)

Brighton Local

Ive loved studying Titanic ever since I was 11. Read books, drew her, educated my fellow classmates about her in so many ways.

Today being April 14th, 2008, marks the 96th Anniversary of The Tragic Maiden Voyage of the Royal Mail Steamer Titanic.

Sunday, April 14, 1912:

11:38pm, Crows nest Lookout Officer Frederick Fleet, cant believe his eyes; hence, seeing a huge iceberg dead ahead. He calls the Bridge and warns the officers on deck of the tremendous berg drawing closer. First officer William Murdoch gives the instructions to turn the ship 'Hard-a-Starboard', and reverse the engines simultaneously.

11:40pm, RMS Titanic slams into the iceberg and is taking on water immediately.

In the next 10-15 minutes, Captain Edward James Smith, Ship Designer Thomas Andrews, and White Star Line Chairman J. Bruce Ismay are now aware Titanic has less than 2 hours to live.

Monday April, 15, 1912:

2:10am, Titanic's Stern rose out of the water, exposing her tremendous triple blade propellers.

2:18am, Titanic breaks in half in between the 3rd and 4th Smokestack funnels. The bow drags the stern upright, the bow breaks away under water, and plunges to the bottom of the North Atlantic.

2:19am, Titanic's Stern stands upright and begins to flood.

2:20am, Titanic's Stern floods, and Titanic sinks from under us, and plunges 2 1/2 miles to the bottom of the North Atlantic.

Around 4am, the RMS Carpathia reaches the area where Titanic Had foundered.

708 people survived in 16 lifeboats and 4 collapsibles.

1523 perished with Titanic

RMS Titanic, now gone 96 years

Some photos:

titanicprops.jpg

marschall_-_rms_titanic_-_passage_t.jpg

Titanic-1.jpg

The Sinking:

Around 2:05am

titanic-sinking.jpg

2:10am

titanicsinks.jpg

titanicsinking1.gif

2:18am

Titanic-untergang-im-dunkeln.jpg

titanicbreaks.jpg

Titanic; sitting at the Bottom of the North Atlantic

titanic2.jpg

This was by far one of the worst Maritime disasters in history.

A few clips from 'A Night To Remember' - Great Book and Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d67qk-yAnu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKs335JVT5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8MSszCW9iE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifv5oslIWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRMWlxFYzQ

Your Senior Moderator

Zach

Not a year goes by when i don't commemorate this with a moment of silence as one of my medium-distant relatives of the time were a victim, a 2nd class passenger. There are maybe 2 or 3 other maritime disasters with a higher death toll. One that rarely leaves my mind, is the sinking of a refugee ship via submarine torpedo off the coast of the port city of danzig, poland during ww2. It is estimated that the heavily overcrowded ship took thousands of people with her to the bottom of the baltic sea.

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/articles/wilhelmgustloff.aspx

- Andy

Yeah, its hard to watch the ending of the 1997 version of Titanic. Cameron goes into explicit detail on the passengers freezing to death. It brings a tear or more to one's eyes - (Even the dudes).

Really Adam? Nice man, Yeah Titanic was and still is a tremendous hobby of mine.

Yeah, its hard to watch the ending of the 1997 version of Titanic. Cameron goes into explicit detail on the passengers freezing to death. It brings a tear or more to one's eyes - (Even the dudes).

Really Adam? Nice man, Yeah Titanic was and still is a tremendous hobby of mine.

I never seen the movie, due to me being a documentary person. I seen most of what I known on the Titanic, on The Discovery Channel, TLC, NGC, and A&E.

Hello Brighton Zac; I to am atracted to Titanic in fact the very first book report I wrote (back in the 60's @ P.S. 272 brooklyn N.Y.) was about her. My (B)wife's grandmother was to sail to New York from Ireland on Titanic and while she was there at the ship waiting to board she was denied boarding because there was some thing wrong with her paper work so she came over later on the R M S Lusitainia. Not quite a year ago I was a cruise ship musician aboard the M.V. Century (Celebrity Cruises) we sailed into the harbor( in Belfast Ireland) that Titanic left from, I was suprised to see the company that built her is still there .

Hello Brighton Zac; I to am atracted to Titanic in fact the very first book report I wrote (back in the 60's @ P.S. 272 brooklyn N.Y.) was about her. My (B)wife's grandmother was to sail to New York from Ireland on Titanic and while she was there at the ship waiting to board she was denied boarding because there was some thing wrong with her paper work so she came over later on the R M S Lusitainia. Not quite a year ago I was a cruise ship musician aboard the M.V. Century (Celebrity Cruises) we sailed into the harbor( in Belfast Ireland) that Titanic left from, I was suprised to see the company that built her is still there .

Thank god something screwed up with her paperwork!

• 11 months later...
97th Anniversary

97 Years ago tonight, Titanic would hit an Iceberg in the North Atlantic, and would sink within 3 hours. 1,523 lives lost April 15, 1912.

Zach

Didn't realize it until you posted this. Wonder what's gonna happen in 2012 when this rolls around.

97th Anniversary

97 Years ago tonight, Titanic would hit an Iceberg in the North Atlantic, and would sink within 3 hours. 1,523 lives lost April 15, 1912.

Zach

One of my Middle School teachers was the grandson of a couple that was originally going to travel on the Titanic but something came up so they couldn't go. He had a newspaper from back when it happened laminated.

Didn't realize it until you posted this. Wonder what's gonna happen in 2012 when this rolls around.

I've heard rumors that there is going to be some huge year long thing involving belfast, southampton, newfoundland, and nyc with museums and stuff. Also heard that they may have a "memorial trip" which duplicates the route of the titanic culminating in a memorial service and such above where she now rests. I believe queen mary 2, queen elizabeth, and several other ocean liners will take part as well as navy and coast guard ships etc etc.

It's important to note, that the real tragedy of the titanic was not fully the loss of life, but of the absence of decisions that could have totally prevented the tragedy. There are several maritime disasters with a larger loss of life, but none had so profound an effect on protocol, international law, and ship construction that Titanic had to this very day.

Now we have fire drills, full double hulls on all oceangoing vessels, integrally designed watertight areas, automatic fire suppression, strict quality standards for everything becoming part of or destined to sail with the ship, iceberg patrols, rules for navigating though ice fields, and so on.

A tragic lesson that has saved so many since.

R.I.P.

- (A)

I've heard rumors that there is going to be some huge year long thing involving belfast, southampton, newfoundland, and nyc with museums and stuff. Also heard that they may have a "memorial trip" which duplicates the route of the titanic culminating in a memorial service and such above where she now rests. I believe queen mary 2, queen elizabeth, and several other ocean liners will take part as well as navy and coast guard ships etc etc.

It's important to note, that the real tragedy of the titanic was not fully the loss of life, but of the absence of decisions that could have totally prevented the tragedy. There are several maritime disasters with a larger loss of life, but none had so profound an effect on protocol, international law, and ship construction that Titanic had to this very day.

Now we have fire drills, full double hulls on all oceangoing vessels, integrally designed watertight areas, automatic fire suppression, strict quality standards for everything becoming part of or destined to sail with the ship, iceberg patrols, rules for navigating though ice fields, and so on.

A tragic lesson that has saved so many since.

R.I.P.

- (A)

True Man.

-They left their binoculars in Belfast

-Rumor has it, Titanic never went out for a Test run before she set sail.

True Man.

-They left their binoculars in Belfast

-Rumor has it, Titanic never went out for a Test run before she set sail.

Word.

Her "sea trials" lasted something like 4 hours....:eek::confused::(:o:tdown: For a ship that was not only incredibly large for the time, but also fast for its size, it should have been tested over a month, plus given a bigger rudder.

Queen mary 2 had something like 2 weeks of sea trials plus a bit of a trip from her construction area to england. Even that ship had its initial issues, imagine if they only spent 4 hours testing it! :confused:

- A

Word.

Her "sea trials" lasted something like 4 hours....:eek::confused::(:o:tdown: For a ship that was not only incredibly large for the time, but also fast for its size, it should have been tested over a month, plus given a bigger rudder.

Queen mary 2 had something like 2 weeks of sea trials plus a bit of a trip from her construction area to england. Even that ship had its initial issues, imagine if they only spent 4 hours testing it! :confused:

- A

Exactly! She (Queen Mary 2) threw her propeller blade(s) at least once. A few things broke from her hull and sank. She had a few initial problems on her test runs.

It's important to note, that the real tragedy of the titanic was not fully the loss of life, but of the absence of decisions that could have totally prevented the tragedy.

Plus, the White Star Line's gigantic ego... remember that they claimed that the Titanic was unsinkable.

Plus, the White Star Line's gigantic ego... remember that they claimed that the Titanic was unsinkable.

They actually believed it, even the company's owner, who survived the sinking was aghast at the idea of it going down in "an hour 2 at most" when informed by the chief engineer, Andrews. This event is corroborated by several witnesses, including Ismay.

In all fairness the ship was a marvel of the machine age, unequaled in its design and appointments. Even with the list of now obvious flaws, it still stands as one of the most ambitious ships of the time. Later vessels such as the France, and the United States, and the famous queen mary, and queen elizabeth 2 would not have been possible without the lessons learned with Titanic.

- A

Guest Charles

Titanic was a really great movie.

Every year, an organization (is it the Coast Guard?) either sails or helicopters (if the water is still too treacherous) to the site about where the Titanic sank and marks the spot by laying a couple of wreaths.

I remember writing my elementery school history final paper on the Titanic; I was (and still am) obsessed over marine accidents.

No offense but i think we should wait 3 more years until 2012 to celebrate the infamous 100th anniversity of the Tiantic.

As a Titanic Historian, I felt that I had to revive history for people to recall what happened that tragic night - 97 years ago...

Archived