Bx4A

The Bx4A provides Parkchester residents with direct service between

Westchester Sq and The Hub at 3 Av and 149 St via Westchester Av,

Hugh Grant Circle, Metropolitan Av and E. Tremont Av. The Bx4 will continue

to provide service between Westchester Sq and The Hub at 3 Av and 149 St

via Westchester Av.

Bx8

The Bx8 is permanently rerouted via Layton Av and Crosby Av between

Layton Av and the Buhre Av 6 Line icon station.

Bx24

The new Bx24 route provides direct service between the

Pelham Bay 6 Line icon station and Country Club/Spencer Estates.

Would the BX24 be a MaBSTOA Route or an MTA Bus Co? And is the BX4A a Limited or Non-Stop route?

http://mta.info/nyct/service/service_changes_Bx4ABus.htm

And i noticed this of course here http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24427 , but curious on depot for the 24

The new Bx4A will be exactly like the Bx40/42, in a way. No skip stop, no limited, no non-stop, just a normal local route.

Bx4A

Rush hours: 14-20 minutes

Off peak: 23 minutes

Saturdays: 16-22 minutes

Sundays: 22-30 minutes

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/101025_1045_BUS.pdf

But i dont get it. The Bx4 and Bx4A will run the same from East Tremont to The Hub so whats so special about the Bx4A that the Bx4 won't have?

Unless they mean it will reroute via Metropolitan Avenue up and down, if thats the new routing?

The Bx40/42 splits off from Harding Avenue (And Bx42 from Randall)

But i dont get it. The Bx4 and Bx4A will run the same from East Tremont to The Hub so whats so special about the Bx4A that the Bx4 won't have?

Unless they mean it will reroute via Metropolitan Avenue up and down, if thats the new routing?

Yup. It sounds like the Bx4A will become the Parkchester branch of the Bx4. Given the population density along Metropolitan Avenue, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the dominant branch.

Those types of standalone shuttles never work out, unless they serve destinations with a high concentration of activity centers.

As a rule, the longer the route, the more centers of activity it serves via a one-seat ride, and the more ridership it will get.

Exactly. That's why I think the Bx4A will probably succeed (and maybe even surpass the "mainline" Bx4 in ridership) while the Bx24 is likely to die on the vine.

Not completely. All they get is a route that should be called the "Country Club Mini Me" - a dinky shuttle to/from Pelham Bay Station. It will probably be at the top of the next "Doomsday" hit list.

yep, that's what they wanted... the Bx8 OUT of their neighborhood, and their own lil shuttle to/from the subway.

and as for that last statement you made:

I'll be the first one cheering in elation when that happens !

Those types of standalone shuttles never work out, unless they serve destinations with a high concentration of activity centers.

Yep, in a city setting, they're just about useless.

(If the B36 didn't run like s**t (and end south of the Bayview houses), there'd be no need for the B74)

They only work out there in quieter towns that actually welcome SOME form of public transportation (something like the N62, Suffolk's route 25 [babylon/N. Babylon], and all the bus-to-rail commuters out in Westchester)

Exactly. That's why I think the Bx4A will probably succeed (and maybe even surpass the "mainline" Bx4 in ridership) while the Bx24 is likely to die on the vine.

Finally, one of my proposals actually come to pass (the Bx4a) !!

I've been screaming this for the longest on this, and RD.... and like you, I also think it would be more beneficial to riders over the current Bx4.....

The Bx24 I won't waste anymore time in bothering to talk about... Guaranteed that will end up failing..... that will have a daily ridership of like, 3....

All they get is a route that should be called the "Country Club Mini Me" - a dinky shuttle to/from Pelham Bay Station. It will probably be at the top of the next "Doomsday" hit list.
They'll protest again, the (MTA) will reroute another bus route to enter Country Club, they'll object it again, and reroute that said bus out of their neighborhood. :tdown:

Instead of bringing a dead route aka the BX24, they should of ether kept it as BX14 or extend the BX23 to Country Club and even split with GH if there ain't enough buses.
Or the (MTA) could've revived the Bx14 instead of creating another Bx4 variant via Parkchester.

The Bx24 I won't waste anymore time in bothering to talk about... Guaranteed that will end up failing..... that will have a daily ridership of like, 3....
Considering that it'll run every 30 minutes, maybe it'll have more riders.

They'll protest again, the (MTA) will reroute another bus route to enter Country Club, they'll object it again, and reroute that said bus out of their neighborhood. :tdown:

If that trend keeps up, they aint goin have no bus out there.

Which they'll also raise a funk about....

talk about your catch 22....

Reply in bold:

yep, that's what they wanted... the Bx8 OUT of their neighborhood, and their own lil shuttle to/from the subway.

and as for that last statement you made:

I'll be the first one cheering in elation when that happens !

Yep, in a city setting, they're just about useless.

(If the B36 didn't run like s**t (and end south of the Bayview houses), there'd be no need for the B74)

They only work out there in quieter towns that actually welcome SOME form of public transportation (something like the N62, Suffolk's route 25 [babylon/N. Babylon], and all the bus-to-rail commuters out in Westchester)

Exactly. In cases where you have neighborhoods where the people don't use the bus route (and are near neighborhoods with a lot of public transportation use), you should try to serve them with existing routes, not give them their own routes. For example, Grymes Hill on Staten Island was served by the S60, which didn't get many riders as a standalone route. I'm sure running the S66 there encouraged more ridership in the neighborhood, because the S66 served more places. If Grymes Hill didn't like that, the MTA should've just left them with no service.

Finally, one of my proposals actually come to pass (the Bx4a) !!

I've been screaming this for the longest on this, and RD.... and like you, I also think it would be more beneficial to riders over the current Bx4.....

I see the new route with the BX24 is different from the original which ran from Fordham Plaza to Fieldston Road and West 256th Street until it was cancelled on September 10, 1995.

Essientially, the new BX4A is the old BX14 with a new number and except that it runs Parkchester to The Hub rather than to Country Club?

I see the new route with the BX24 is different from the original which ran from Fordham Plaza to Fieldston Road and West 256th Street until it was cancelled on September 10, 1995.

Essientially, the new BX4A is the old BX14 with a new number?

The Bx4A and Bx24 is just a replacement to the Bx14 in soem areas. Within Parkchester and Country Club/Pelham Bay.

It sucks tho since the (MTA) could of bring back the BX14 or use the BX23 and extend to Country Club while the BX4A can be used.

On another hand, I wonder if it would of been better to use ether the BX40 or BX42, send it down Castle Hill Avenue to Metropolitan Ave, to Parkchester (Circling) and then back up to East Tremont or run it with the Q44 from Devoe/Tremont to/from Parkchester. Artics should work run well along like this.

I also believe the new spur of the Bx4 will become more successful and could be a back handed way to eventually kill the current 4 route via Westchester Av from Parkchester to Westchester Square. As for the new Bx24, reinstating routes such as the B39 would be more sensible than giving those residents a shuttle bus which I also expect to see very little ridership.

But is the ridership high between Parkchester and Tremont Avenue?

As far as the old Bx14 vs. the Bx4, is there more demand for travel from Parkchester towards The Hub, or Parkchester towards Pelham Bay Park/Country Club? I would probably say The Hub, since there is more activity in that direction.

Archived