How did MTA handle the buses during Blizzard 2010? HORRIBLE

w8Hou

Christmas Blizzard of 2010: Buses, subways and LIRR still limited, MTA boss Jay Walder warns - Daily News

Selective quotes from the article:

"About 1,000 buses were stranded across the city yesterday (MONDAY), and some remained stuck in the slush last night, stymieing efforts to get routes back on schedule."

""It was a disaster," one transit supervisor said of the stranded buses, blaming poor planning and the decision to keep sending buses out without tire chains well after storm started."

"Bus service will largely depend on how well the streets are cleared by the city Sanitation Department, which has struggled mightily against the volume of snow and swirling winds that created snowdrifts."

"Bus drivers had to stay with their bogged-down rigs overnight."

""It was cold," said one driver who spent 12 hours on an empty bus in Brooklyn. "After a while, having a coat didn't matter. My phone died because I drained the battery. It's hard to sleep on a bus, so I just watched the snow and people trying to get through it.""

"Walder insisted the MTA did its best against an "enormous storm." "One option would clearly have been to stop running all service. I think what you do is try to find a balance," he said."

"Part of the problem was manpower. Some transit workers had scheduled to take time off during the holiday week, while others couldn't get to work because of impassable roads. That meant fewer workers were available to drive buses and trains and clear tracks, signals and switches."

Yeah I bet Walders was in his damn chair in his house warmed up next to the fire place with a hot coco full of money around him on the floor while everyone was cold, getting snowed and stuck around.. Even animals!

I saw 2 New Flyers BX40/42s OOS sitting along Tremont blocking traffic getting snowed up.. Even saw a B/o trapped.

(MTA) did its best can lick my frozen ass!

MTA did its best? Turned out the best it could do wasn't good enough at all in this case.

The train situation was ridiculous with practically all of the outside lines knocked out. Quite frankly it seems like the subway system is taking a nose dive. So many delays because of signal problems of late... Really ridiculous.

The train situation was ridiculous with practically all of the outside lines knocked out. Quite frankly it seems like the subway system is taking a nose dive. So many delays because of signal problems of late... Really ridiculous.
I will not point the finger at anyone to much snow in a short period of time as for the outside lines not all of them were affected I was watching the news and a lady said how come the the F is running and not the B & Q you should think before you speak the F is an eleveated line the B,Q,N,L lines are trench stlye lines the snow had literally nowhere to go but pile up on the tracks like in the case of the LIRR

I will not point the finger at anyone to much snow in a short period of time as for the outside lines not all of them were affected I was watching the news and a lady said how come the the F is running and not the B & Q you should think before you speak the F is an eleveated line the B,Q,N,L lines are trench stlye lines the snow had literally nowhere to go but pile up on the tracks like in the case of the LIRR

I said "with practically all of the outside lines knocked out", not all of them... :P

P.S. You should try using a period sometimes. It's really difficult to read run-ons.

Archived